Pages:
Author

Topic: Split AC Unit for Cooling Mining Farm? - page 2. (Read 645 times)

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
January 12, 2018, 06:36:10 PM

Little 400 CFU fan in right now as a temporary solution - I live in VA so it has been cold lately and this is better than nothing.

I have an old dryer vent I plan on ducting the 400 CFU fan into to - I am thinking have 6 or 12 of the ASICs blow into a cornered off part of the room and have that 400 CFU take it all out.. not sure if it will be enough though? Probably not

You're not even in the ballpark.
 You need to start thinking in terms of more like 5000-10000 CFM as a minimum.

A 6" dryer vent might handle *3* ASIC units, if you have a heavy duty "booster" type fan on it or *2* miners if you Y-duct the output of those miners directly into it - no way is it even going to be CLOSE to handling 12.
 Most dryer vents are more like 4" though - which is enough for ONE miner, but no more, and even with a high-end BOOSTER fan won't handle more than perhaps 2 miners.

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030
January 12, 2018, 06:31:47 PM
40 miners = 54kW

That would be a disaster.

54 KW is about 160,000 BTU - that wouldn't be a disaster, that would be a "miners in constant overheat shutdown" if you didn't end up with a fire.
 MASSIVE AIRFLOW (and possibly some Evap cooling input to the "cold side" of the room as PART OF that massive airflow) is the only viable answer.

HVAC folks generally have NO CLUE about the heat load miners generate.
 Even DATA CENTER folks have NO CLUE about the heat density of miners, as a general rule.

Activity: 48
Merit: 1
January 12, 2018, 02:08:53 PM

All of the electricians and HVAC people that come out keep saying to use a Split Unit

Thats because they have no understanding of mining. A mini-split unit is just another type of AC unit, it does nothing special except exchange more heat than a window unit. While it might be slightly more efficient you are still looking at like an $8k (installed) investment into AC to have enough power to keep up with the miners heat output that you currently have, and that leaves no room for expansion.

Heard that. Got a quote for a 24,000 BTU unit for $5K and I was like wow, makes more sense to go buy some land and throw a shed on there instead of going that route.. not to mention the costs of having it cooled through air flow instead of AC. Thank you for your input!
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
January 12, 2018, 12:34:01 PM

All of the electricians and HVAC people that come out keep saying to use a Split Unit

Thats because they have no understanding of mining. A mini-split unit is just another type of AC unit, it does nothing special except exchange more heat than a window unit. While it might be slightly more efficient you are still looking at like an $8k (installed) investment into AC to have enough power to keep up with the miners heat output that you currently have, and that leaves no room for expansion.
January 12, 2018, 12:27:15 PM
Wow!

24000 BTU is only 7kW

40 miners = 54kW

The best approach is to move cool air in from outside and exhaust all hot air back outside. Make sure to filter the air on the way in. Be sure to completely isolate the intake and exhaust of all the miners. It's very inefficient to allow the hot and cool air to mix at all. Be sure to place the outdoor intake and exhaust portals as far apart as possible.

I like to pull the air in near the floor on the North side of the building and exhaust out the roof vent.

I have a basement window that is at the top of the room - first attempt at cooling is to put 2 12 inch fans in there for 1600 CFU. Air intake would be to let the other 2 basement windows open and let it naturally balance out - I will block off the room with drywall and put vents in at the bottom.

It would be easier to isolate the hot air but I have 12 ASIC's (6 being remote hosted right now) and 12 GPU rigs that blow hot air everywhere.. I will have mesh netting to help filter the air on top of the screen to the basement windows.

Pictures: https://imgur.com/oUnvtnn
https://imgur.com/K4atfnT
https://imgur.com/gUyvYV4

Little 400 CFU fan in right now as a temporary solution - I live in VA so it has been cold lately and this is better than nothing.

I have an old dryer vent I plan on ducting the 400 CFU fan into to - I am thinking have 6 or 12 of the ASICs blow into a cornered off part of the room and have that 400 CFU take it all out.. not sure if it will be enough though? Probably not
Activity: 70
Merit: 34
January 12, 2018, 12:12:42 AM
Wow!

24000 BTU is only 7kW

40 miners = 54kW

The best approach is to move cool air in from outside and exhaust all hot air back outside. Make sure to filter the air on the way in. Be sure to completely isolate the intake and exhaust of all the miners. It's very inefficient to allow the hot and cool air to mix at all. Be sure to place the outdoor intake and exhaust portals as far apart as possible.

I like to pull the air in near the floor on the North side of the building and exhaust out the roof vent.
Activity: 504
Merit: 71
Just Getting Started...
January 11, 2018, 10:54:56 PM
Air conditioner unit ------> No.

Good air ventilation, with cooling fans if needed -----> Yes.

I will not argue with the smarter people in the room Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
January 11, 2018, 10:50:20 PM
Air conditioner unit ------> No.

Good air ventilation, with cooling fans if needed -----> Yes.
Activity: 504
Merit: 71
Just Getting Started...
January 11, 2018, 10:40:06 PM
Running AC will demolish your profits as you need a large amount of AC for that many miners. A 24k BTU AC will not keep up with that many ASICs

I'm getting away with this many ASICs since it's winter but realizing I should probably sell them just because it does not work the best for residential (cooling wise).

Before giving up I would try to split the room in to a hot side and a "cold" side. Removing the miner's waste heat is the single biggest thing people seem to overlook. Make your cold side as small as possible, if you can provide ambient air you might be surprised. If that is not enough then a small portable A/C unit might work, remember you do not have to cool the output of the miners you simply need to supply them with cooler air.

Lastly, depending on your electricity costs you might still be profitable even with A/C.
January 11, 2018, 06:53:00 PM
Running AC will demolish your profits as you need a large amount of AC for that many miners. A 24k BTU AC will not keep up with that many ASICs

I'm getting away with this many ASICs since it's winter but realizing I should probably sell them just because it does not work the best for residential (cooling wise).
Activity: 756
Merit: 560
January 09, 2018, 02:43:30 PM
January 08, 2018, 09:35:08 PM
I’m currently working on a project for this to accommodate up to 40 ASICs.  Looking at using two 2 Fujitsu models AOU45RLXFZ running mini splits providing T 90,000 BTU cooling.  Portable filtration. Industrial curtain for climate area.  Working out the zone distribution and total amps. I’m out of panel space. So I’m bringing my house up 320 amps nominal with capacity to 400 amp peak intermittent.  Cooling may require 2 240 volt outlets with 50 amps. That’s the plan...waiting to hear back on a couple bids. Then I can do some modeling on costs.  It’s been a week since the HVAC review and not heard back from contractors.  I’d really like to avoid this expense but my space can’t accommodate cooling with just mass flow.  Let me know if you want any updates.

Let me know how it goes - my electrician recommended 24,000 BTU for my set up in a 12x13 ft. room. For now I am going to put 2 800 CFU fans in the one window and leave my 2 other basement windows open. Keep me updated though, a split AC unit might work better - just not sure how much it would cost to run them.
Activity: 4
January 07, 2018, 03:29:18 PM
I’m currently working on a project for this to accommodate up to 40 ASICs.  Looking at using two 2 Fujitsu models AOU45RLXFZ running mini splits providing T 90,000 BTU cooling.  Portable filtration. Industrial curtain for climate area.  Working out the zone distribution and total amps. I’m out of panel space. So I’m bringing my house up 320 amps nominal with capacity to 400 amp peak intermittent.  Cooling may require 2 240 volt outlets with 50 amps. That’s the plan...waiting to hear back on a couple bids. Then I can do some modeling on costs.  It’s been a week since the HVAC review and not heard back from contractors.  I’d really like to avoid this expense but my space can’t accommodate cooling with just mass flow.  Let me know if you want any updates.
January 05, 2018, 08:14:15 PM
Does anyone have experience using a Split AC unit to cool a 12x13 room? 12 Avalon 741 & 12 GPU 6 card rigs. Located in a basement room and there is a small basement window. Using an exhaust fan would work but would run into trouble with balancing the air (need sufficient air intake in the summers in Virginia).

Would a split AC unit work well? Does anyone have experience cooling their farm with them? Thank you!
Pages:
Jump to: