Pages:
Author

Topic: Splitting coins in a Bitcoin Core wallet after potential fork August 1st - page 2. (Read 6754 times)

legendary
Activity: 4130
Merit: 1307
Ahh, so it's that simple now that SIGHASH_FORKID has been added - GREAT!

Thanks for the quick reply

You should also be able to copy (not move) the blocks themselves to the appropriate ABC directory and begin from there to save yourself having to resync it all.

Activity: 65
Merit: 2
dotbit.me
Ahh, so it's that simple now that SIGHASH_FORKID has been added - GREAT!

Thanks for the quick reply
staff
Activity: 3458
Merit: 6793
Just writing some code
There is no need to make a second Bitcoin Core wallet, or to even do anything to split your coins. Since they now have two way replay protection, your coins will be split the moment the chain forks.

What you need to do to spend your ABC coins is to just make a copy of your Core wallet.dat file. Then install the Bitcoin ABC client and put your copied wallet.dat file in the place where you want the ABC datadir to be (do this before starting ABC). Then start ABC and let it sync. When you want to spend your ABC coins, just use the ABC wallet. When you want to spend your Core coins, use the Bitcoin Core wallet.
Activity: 65
Merit: 2
dotbit.me
I am trying to establish a safe way to split coins in a Bitcoin Core wallet after the fork without risking BTC in exchanges or non-Core clients. My initial thinking was to do it like this:

• The original wallet containing BTC is a normal Bitcoin Core wallet fully synced.
  • Set up a new Bitcoin Core wallet as well as a Bitcoin ABC wallet.
  • Transfer the BTC from the original wallet to the new Core wallet with OP_RETURN "Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System" which makes the transaction invalid on the new BCC network.
  • Stop the original Core wallet (now empty on the original chain) and the ABC wallet and copy the wallet.dat from the original Core wallet to the ABC wallet.
  • Restart the ABC wallet with -rescan. The BCC should now show up in the ABC wallet while the BTC are safe in the new Core wallet as the transfer above is only valid on the BTC side. Transfer the BCC to an exchange and sell for BTC.

Would this even work? I would love some advice.

In the latest BCC specification there is a new way using SIGHASH_FORKID, but I am unsure how to make use of that instead? The OP_RETURN is still valid but obsolete.

Pages:
Jump to: