Pages:
Author

Topic: Spondoolies SP20E. One impressive miner 0,526 W/GH - page 2. (Read 6588 times)

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
The breakout boards do seem very interesting, but are expensive for what they do Sad Thought about having pcb's made, doing my own. Still considering it Smiley

I don't want to clutter the OP's excellent thread (or over-shadow all the compliments rolling in about chicago's girlfriend ) so I respectfully won't post after this.

Expensive compared to what?  For large deployment, the difference in price versus off-the-shelf ATX PSU's (even without factoring in the higher efficiency rating) is huge. You can buy a 2880W PSU, breakout board and cables for less than 1 EVGA 1300W G2, and have higher efficiency rating (as well as over 2x the power).  If you mean they are expensive versus wiring it up yourself, I personally think they are good value.  I have modified MANY smaller 1 kW DPS 800GBA PSU's in the past, and it was at least an hour of work per PSU (with only 4x PCI cables per PSU, not 20+). With 3,000 Watts of AC power, if you go without a PCB you have some serious soldering to do.  If you do get your own PCB made up (and essentially your own breakout board), you have to source out the proprietary connectors, which at this point J4bberwock has been waiting on for around 2 months at the factory.  They are not cheap, but they do represent a lot of value IMO.

/shameless plugs Smiley

Well, for the psu I'm buying, I found the connectors in Canada for $10 a piece. Was quick.

But I can se the plus and minus to the boards. I may still jump and buy 10, but it's a large chunk on my ROI list.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
The breakout boards do seem very interesting, but are expensive for what they do Sad Thought about having pcb's made, doing my own. Still considering it Smiley

I don't want to clutter the OP's excellent thread (or over-shadow all the compliments rolling in about chicago's girlfriend ) so I respectfully won't post after this.

Expensive compared to what?  For large deployment, the difference in price versus off-the-shelf ATX PSU's (even without factoring in the higher efficiency rating) is huge. You can buy a 2880W PSU, breakout board and cables for less than 1 EVGA 1300W G2, and have higher efficiency rating (as well as over 2x the power).  If you mean they are expensive versus wiring it up yourself, I personally think they are good value.  I have modified MANY smaller 1 kW DPS 800GBA PSU's in the past, and it was at least an hour of work per PSU (with only 4x PCI cables per PSU, not 20+). With 3,000 Watts of AC power, if you go without a PCB you have some serious soldering to do.  If you do get your own PCB made up (and essentially your own breakout board), you have to source out the proprietary connectors, which at this point J4bberwock has been waiting on for around 2 months at the factory.  They are not cheap, but they do represent a lot of value IMO.

/shameless plugs Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1050
blade psu's are very capable ones although i see this are very slim models.
The IBM BB psu's are much bigger but often lack cooling but can cope with insane loads
These are made to be cooled by the airflow in the blade servers, a mate and i tested the max load which is a 2800 watt IBM Blade PSU (2980 W - IBM BladeCenter H (7989, 8852)) could handle
We stopped at about 3500 watt load because going higher would be no longer safe, at this extreme load it becomes a huge risk and fire hazard.
But the psu did not even fail once.
These need some adjustments to get them cooled and you need to get the cables soldered, or try to get some tech wiz to create a breakout box for these monsters
Side note when we turned it on the lamps in barn dimmed, so these are not for the faint hearted.
DO NOT USE these without making sure everything can handle these loads.

The 2880W Bladecenter PSU's are quite amazing.  I currently have 3x SP20's hooked up to one at approx 1500 GH/s each, and it is drawing 13.41 amps at the wall w/ an ammeter.  Over 3,000 watts and holding steady for well over a week now.   But, if anyone thinks the SP20 fans are loud @ 100%, wait till you hear the fans on these bad boys  Grin.

I will be distributing J4bberwock's IBM 2880W breakout boards for North America.  Should receive my initial order in about 2-3 weeks now, will create a thread at that time.  You won't find 80+ Platinum rated power for cheaper, that is for sure.  And it beats the heck out of trying to rig up your own fans on the 2000W server PSU's. 

Activity: 784
Live Stars - Adult Streaming Platform
Great info I'll be trying your settings after im all spun up..  
The gf is still making power supplies...

Looks very good indeed.  Just noticed that you decided to use blade psu. Remember to ask insurance company if they will cover this mod.
What psu did you decide to use ?
very nice bracelets.
legendary
Activity: 1022
Merit: 1003
The IBM BB psu's are much bigger but often lack cooling but can cope with insane loads
These are made to be cooled by the airflow in the blade servers, a mate and i tested the max load which is a 2800 watt IBM Blade PSU (2980 W - IBM BladeCenter H (7989, 8852)) could handle
We stopped at about 3500 watt load because going higher would be no longer safe, at this extreme load it becomes a huge risk and fire hazard.
These need some adjustments to get them cooled and you need to get the cables soldered, or try to get some tech wiz to create a breakout box for these monsters
Side note when we turned it on the lamps in barn dimmed, so these are not for the faint hearted.

The 2880W Bladecenter PSU's are quite amazing.  I currently have 3x SP20's hooked up to one at approx 1500 GH/s each, and it is drawing 13.41 amps at the wall w/ an ammeter.  Over 3,000 watts and holding steady for well over a week now.   But, if anyone thinks the SP20 fans are loud @ 100%, wait till you hear the fans on these bad boys  Grin.

I will be distributing J4bberwock's IBM 2880W breakout boards for North America.  Should receive my initial order in about 2-3 weeks now, will create a thread at that time.  You won't find 80+ Platinum rated power for cheaper, that is for sure.  And it beats the heck out of trying to rig up your own fans on the 2000W server PSU's. 
Activity: 471
Merit: 250
Thanks, i don't see it in their website as such...or is it the same sp20 and you may just get a newer model?

No 'just' about it, SP20E will show in the GUI when you boot-up, they are currently shipping SP20E's, not the earlier models. I have a few and more arriving in a few days.

Activity: 569
Merit: 507
I'm confused, is there a sp20 and a sp20e? Two different models?
Edit:
I've seen some on ebay for under $500 or so, looked interesting

Yes,  first gen was sp20 and second gen is sp20e.
Thanks, i don't see it in their website as such...or is it the same sp20 and you may just get a newer model?

http://www.spondoolies-tech.com/collections/products
Activity: 774
Merit: 500
Lazy Lurker Reads Alot
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220

While the rig setup is impressive, even more striking is that your GF is interested in working on this! That to me is probably the most valuable thing you have going for you.....  Smiley

Whats more impressive is the angles she is able to work at!
legendary
Activity: 938
Edit:

Yes,  first gen was sp20 and second gen is sp20e.
Activity: 569
Merit: 507
Edit:
alh
legendary
Activity: 1846
Merit: 1052

While the rig setup is impressive, even more striking is that your GF is interested in working on this! That to me is probably the most valuable thing you have going for you.....  Smiley
legendary
Didn't measure the db but they are loud..
But since they are located in another building sound is not an issue.
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 1723
Up to 300% + 200 FS deposit bonuses
That's interested. How loud are they running at these underclocked speeds?
legendary

Looks very good indeed.  Just noticed that you decided to use blade psu. Remember to ask insurance company if they will cover this mod.
What psu did you decide to use ?
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1004
These are really nice setup!
So we can run 2 sp20 on a evga 1300 Huh
Activity: 26
Merit: 0

http://i57.tinypic.com/otlq0x.jpg
Activity: 471
Merit: 250
They have been running for a week now and all with down-clocked to 600-650 Watt giving from 1150 to 1212 Ghash and Extreme Stable.
Giving me a 0,55 W/GH and thats pretty nice.

Next step for my SP20E farm will be 1330-1350 Ghash with a wattage pr miner of 811-825 Watt, giving me total 47 TH and 0,60W/GH... if price goes even higher up, third step is going to be 1470-1490 Ghash with a wattage of 1010-1025 Watt = 0,68 W/GH

There is still head room to push them up to 1650 Ghash a pcs total, but much higher Wattage

This is why I love the SP20 ... so configurable that allows you to react to current market conditions.

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
Great looking setup. I'm hoping to have something similar soon.
legendary
Activity: 1596
The 1300 G2s can handle 2 SP20s without any issues. We've run them up to 1400W constantly at the wall back in the GPU days. Just make sure it's not too hot in the room and it's all good to go.

Eh, even if it's hot, they're tanks. They're rated for continuous 1300w output at 50c ambient.
Pages:
Jump to: