Pages:
Author

Topic: SSD update worth it? - page 2. (Read 1304 times)

Activity: 301
Merit: 74
October 20, 2017, 04:40:33 PM
If you experience the caching problems I'm seeing, then definitely yes.
But others don't experience it, so maybe it's just a bug under specific circumstances.
Activity: 33
Merit: 0
October 20, 2017, 02:50:49 PM
No, the hard disk speed should not matter for synchronization of your client. Faster processor and more RAM would help.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
October 20, 2017, 02:50:01 PM
I was wondering if updating my hard disk from regular HDD 7200 rpm to SSD would have a big impact when it comes to running a full node. Will it sync much faster?
I assume you'll only need to fully sync once (which is very slow on a hdd), after that it's only 6 new blocks every minute. Even on a hdd that shouldn't take more than a few seconds per block.
I'm not sure what the requirements of a full node are. If your node is also serving data to other Bitcoin Core users, the ssd can increase your bandwidth usage.

From my desktop experience I would just say "yes" to any question related to replacing a hdd by a ssd, without any doubt.
Activity: 770
Merit: 509
October 20, 2017, 11:38:34 AM
I was wondering if updating my hard disk from regular HDD 7200 rpm to SSD would have a big impact when it comes to running a full node. Will it sync much faster?

With 1TB SSD prices finally being more affordable, I could be able to run games and a full node on the disk without running out of space for a long time (if we stay on 1MB that is, otherwise I would need to give up and run pruned mode).
Pages:
Jump to: