Pages:
Author

Topic: Stack wallet for mobile? - page 2. (Read 661 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
March 26, 2023, 09:35:27 AM
Initially the balance showed about $50 in BTC in the Stack Wallet App, but when trying to send to an Electrum address from Stack Wallet the balance was zero.
When I was testing it a couple of months back, it had synchronization issues... Are you sure it was completely synchronized at the time or did you try to connect to a different node?

I deleted the address because I had the 24 words saved.
When I entered the 24 seed phrase, the balance was zero and the sending address changed from bc1q7d3yfaj36uwylgu33gr2uujr8m9l65pec3rqrg to something else.
You might want to double-check the order of seed phrases and while you're at it, try to generate a lot of new addresses [it might help with finding the missing address].
- With regards to the underlined word, I believe you meant to type receiving instead.

BTW, it appears that they've added the coin control feature, but we have to enable it from the advanced tab.

Update:
Thank you very much SFR10 for your command to try to do some generate address
You're very welcome, I'm glad it worked Smiley
Activity: 1106
Merit: 740
Rollbit - Crypto Futures
March 26, 2023, 06:33:27 AM
[snip]

Did anyone else tried this wallet and what do you think about it?
I just installed the Android version of the Stack Wallet app on my smartphone and it's true that Stack Wallet is not a bad wallet. When it finished downloading, I opened it right away and the process for address generation wasn't difficult. Stack Wallet is similar to Trust Wallet in the process of getting addresses. Stack Wallet only asks us to choose one phrase out of 24. But the difference might be that it is open source and not.

I think what they wrote about Stack Wallet from the inside look is true, it looks very ideal for anyone who uses it.
Don't. I just lost about $50 in Bitcoin after using the Stack Wallet wallet. Don't use this wallet while it's still in the early development stages.

https://mempool.space/address/bc1q7d3yfaj36uwylgu33gr2uujr8m9l65pec3rqrg

Initially the balance showed about $50 in BTC in the Stack Wallet App, but when trying to send to an Electrum address from Stack Wallet the balance was zero.
I deleted the address because I had the 24 words saved.
When I entered the 24 seed phrase, the balance was zero and the sending address changed from bc1q7d3yfaj36uwylgu33gr2uujr8m9l65pec3rqrg to something else.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 755
January 30, 2023, 06:30:13 AM
[snip]

I just installed the Android version of the Stack Wallet app on my smartphone and it's true that Stack Wallet is not a bad wallet. When it finished downloading, I opened it right away and the process for address generation wasn't difficult. Stack Wallet is similar to Trust Wallet in the process of getting addresses. Stack Wallet only asks us to choose one phrase out of 24. But the difference might be that it is open source and not.

I think what they wrote about Stack Wallet from the inside look is true, it looks very ideal for anyone who uses it.
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
January 28, 2023, 07:42:31 AM
If I remember correctly, ChangeNOW has pretty high fees when bigger amounts are concerned. It's ok for smaller sums that you otherwise maybe couldn't even swap on standard exchanges because the amounts are under the minimum trading limits. Try to check what the difference in the rates offered on ChangeNOW's official website are and what you see in the Stack Wallet. That way we could know approximately how big of a premium they charge.

Like I mentioned previously, KYC is a possibility with ChangeNOW and their partners:

ChangeNOW’s AML/KYC procedure is supported by an automated risk prevention system. If a transaction is marked suspicious by this system, the exchange is put on hold and the customer in question is then asked to confirm their identity.
https://changenow.io/faq/kyc-aml-procedure
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 4795
January 28, 2023, 06:18:55 AM
Not necessarily. It depends on the platform. Instant exchanges also have their partners and liquidity providers, and they might be the ones that want to verify who is sending the money and what is the source of it. It happens. You can come across scam accusations where instant exchanges have confiscated funds (actually their partners have) and users are being asked for KYC.
Yes, not necessary, some wallet can make use of smart contract decentralized means of exchange using swap function in a way you can exchange a coin and its tokens.

I just do not want to make a final conclusion because of this:

https://stackwallet.com/

But while I tried to exchange monero and some other coins, this is what I saw:

You can see ChangeNow which is an instant exchange. Probably because there may be other ones is the reason I did not just make a conclusion but generalized it to make use of instant exchanges, probably there may be another one too which may not be an instant exchange, but I doubt that for now.
legendary
January 28, 2023, 05:29:55 AM
Such exchanges are instant exchanges, they will not ask for KYC, but as you know, all instant exchanges are centralized exchanges, they can seize users coins and demand for KYC.
Not necessarily. It depends on the platform. Instant exchanges also have their partners and liquidity providers, and they might be the ones that want to verify who is sending the money and what is the source of it. It happens. You can come across scam accusations where instant exchanges have confiscated funds (actually their partners have) and users are being asked for KYC.
legendary
January 28, 2023, 04:10:03 AM
But does the wallet mention the names of the 3rd-party exchanges they work with? Maybe there is a chance the exchanges ask for KYC.
Such exchanges are instant exchanges, they will not ask for KYC, but as you know, all instant exchanges are centralized exchanges, they can seize users coins and demand for KYC.
legendary
January 28, 2023, 03:50:46 AM
Note that is new wallet so only use it for exprimental testing purposes!
In all honesty, the Stack Wallet is also still being tested and developed according to the info Lida93 saw when he downloaded his version from Google Play. Maybe it wouldn't be a bad idea to mention in the OP that the wallet is still in development stage.

I found out some more interesting things after reading their website.

- You can apparently exchange the coins that Stack Wallet supports even for assets that aren't' supported by the wallet. That's because the whole process is done through 3rd parties. I guess you have to provide the exchange with a wallet address from somewhere else, and that's where they will send your coins. If there is liquidity, this is great news. But does the wallet mention the names of the 3rd-party exchanges they work with? Maybe there is a chance the exchanges ask for KYC.

- Stack Wallet takes a cut from each swap. They explain on their website that's how they make money. To get the best possible rate, one can always compare the in-app offer to what the exchange offers when you visit its official page directly.     
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7060
Cashback 15%
January 26, 2023, 05:23:58 PM
After doing further tests, I noticed there's an annoying synchronization glitch and bug [e.g. if you try adding different nodes, 7 out of 10 times it works for the mainnet, but I was never able to get it to work for the testnet]!
- Anybody else with a similar experience?
I didn't have issues like that, but I tried running Stack wallet in android emulator and everything worked fine until I went to settings and started to change things there.
After this wallet started crashing randomly so I had to reinstall and reset everything.

While testing this I found out another similar open source multi-currency wallet that respects privacy, it id available for Android/iOS, and its called Elite Wallet.
Elite is supporting Bitcoin, Monero, Litecoin and Haven coin with it's xAssets like xUSD, xEUR, xAG, etc.
Note that is new wallet so only use it for exprimental testing purposes!
https://elitewallet.sc/
https://github.com/Elite-Labs/EliteWallet
legendary
January 25, 2023, 12:53:45 PM
The point is you can create an online wallet, make a paper backup, but you still need to protect the paper backup just as you still protect the online wallet.
Won't you still protect online wallet?
I am not debating whether one should make a backup of their seed generated on a phone or not. You should, of course, do that. I got the impression that you tried to say that the seed on such devices is offline. That's why I commented that it wasn't created in such an environment and should, thus, not be considered as being offline and as safe as proper offline solutions. Assuming that your phone is infected with malware, your passphrase isn't going to help much either. Because it's again created on that same (potentially vulnerable) system.   
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
January 25, 2023, 04:55:40 AM
After doing further tests, I noticed there's an annoying synchronization glitch and bug [e.g. if you try adding different nodes, 7 out of 10 times it works for the mainnet, but I was never able to get it to work for the testnet]!
- Anybody else with a similar experience?
Activity: 728
Merit: 510
January 25, 2023, 04:25:42 AM
It's my first time of hearing about this stack wallet and as someone looking for better open source wallet with multi choice coins, I just installed it from Google play store right now, but one thing I observed while I was about to download the wallet is that the developers made it clear under the install click on Google play store that " the app is in development", if I understand this, it means it's still going through further improvements on its features as it encourages users to provide some feedback as recommendation where necessary. 
I'll take time to review it anyway, I hope it meet my expectations.lolz
Activity: 1666
Merit: 453
January 25, 2023, 12:11:52 AM
This is the first time I heard of stack wallet, Never try it yet. But according to your a little bit review about it sounds
better when we use it. Maybe later on I will try to install this one to give it a try I also trust with your

explanation as well. But if there is something I find out in which I think there is a problem of course I will not recommend it
too other to try it, but for now, is under my observation and review also.
Activity: 798
Merit: 736
January 24, 2023, 08:11:54 PM
Because they use Bransfer, that possible they use that application to collect all crypto exchanges API in one application. But I don't know how important that is.
Are you sure this refers to the same app? Looks different to me. Or are they related in any way? I don't see Bransfer being mentioned in the link OP shared either. Other than ChangeNOW which was mentioned above, it seems like they also use SimpleSwap according to their Twitter. CMIIW.
I am not sure if they used it or not?, I just found Bransfer when exploring the discovering all applications on the page. So I don't know if it just listed not as default they used for. But, I think it's not more crucial, some people still make sure of the price in which they believe.

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7060
Cashback 15%
January 24, 2023, 06:42:43 PM
If fingerprint is enabled on the phone, why enabling fingerprint to access the wallet too is what I meant, it makes the wallet to be less secure regardless of the small amount of coin you have using the mobile wallet. Anyone can go for fingerprint, but letting them know how dangerous it can be is not bad at all.
Your statement doesn't make any sense to me.
Nothing can be less secure if you have multiple fingerprints in one device, for example you can use one fingerprint for phone, and for wallet you can use different finger with different fingerprint.
Or just don't use any fingerprints at all, because it's OPTIONAL for everything I mentioned.
Don0t get me wrong, I would be the first to complain if fingerprints are made mandatory for anything.
legendary
January 24, 2023, 05:54:16 PM
It's a hot wallet that is connected to the internet. Thus, the seed phrase is not offline despite being written down and stored on paper/steel/some other way.
The point is you can create an online wallet, make a paper backup, but you still need to protect the paper backup just as you still protect the online wallet. it is not because you have online wallet or having low amount of coins on it that will make you not to still protect it, but just that it is online wallet the reason you have low amount of coins on it, but at least, you will still protect the wallet and the paper backup despite the wallet being an online wallet. Won't you still protect online wallet? Just that 90% or more of your coins can be on cold wallet just because you know that online wallet are vulnerable to online attack, but not that you still not protect the small amount of coins you have on online wallets.
legendary
January 24, 2023, 12:58:04 PM
But I'd avoid ChangeNOW or other instant exchange services if possible since they can flag your transaction and ask KYC at any given time.
I don't want to sound like I am protecting instant exchanges or any other exchanges for that matter, but for the accuracy of the information, it's not the exchange that blocks your coins and asks for KYC. It's one of their trading platforms they work with to facilitate those swaps. ChangeNOW just informs you, hi KYC is necessary because that's what their partners asked them. For an instant swap to happen, multiple transactions take place in the background that the end-user doesn't see and doesn't need to know about.

Transaction 1: Your deposit to the swaps platform.
Transaction 2: The swaps platform transfers coins to a liquidity provider.
Transaction 3: The liquidity provider exchanges coin A to coin B.
Transaction 4: Coin B is sent back to the swaps platform.
Transaction 5: The swaps platform sends the coins to your address.

I am not sure about the last step. Maybe the 3rd-party sends the coins directly to your address. Anyways, there could actually be more transactions if you are exchanging two unknown altcoins one for the other and there is no such trading pair available. In that case, the instant exchange would first need to have its partners swap the unknown coin for something familiar like BTC, USDT, or ETH, for example, and then get the asset you want in the following transaction. 

In fact, that's the same way that swaps work on some of the services on Ledger Live or Trezor Suite. If you open the native apps, read the TOS, or initiate a crypto to crypto swap, you will come across information that 3rd-parties might ask you to verify your identity. Sometimes it works without it, other times it doesn't. It probably depends on the amount and the history of the coins.   

Including passphrase to generate different keys can be of people's preference, just like I have implied before, not using it can make some people to feel insecure as they keep their seed phrase offline...
It's a hot wallet that is connected to the internet. Thus, the seed phrase is not offline despite being written down and stored on paper/steel/some other way.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
January 24, 2023, 10:29:31 AM
and it supports Bitcoin, Monero, Bitcoin Cash, Firo, Epic Cash, Namecoin, Wownero, Litecoin, and Dogecoin.
There's also Particl + a few testnet coins [tBitcoin, tLitecoin, tBitcoin Cash and tDogecoin].

Just did [I only tried the incognito mode (screenshot)] and I was surprised it allowed me to take a screenshot of the recovery phrase page [I do know this shouldn't be used as our main wallet, but nothing stops a newcomer from making that mistake]!

Any information about coin control, UTXO selection, or the liberty to enter your own fees? 
Unfortunately, it doesn't have any of these features, but at least it gives you three choices for the fees [fast, average and slow].

BTW, there's also a desktop version [linux only].
legendary
January 24, 2023, 09:01:50 AM
You don't have to use fingerprint, but all smartphones already have biometrics like face and fingerprints, so you shouldn't use any smartphone  Cheesy
If fingerprint is enabled on the phone, why enabling fingerprint to access the wallet too is what I meant, it makes the wallet to be less secure regardless of the small amount of coin you have using the mobile wallet. Anyone can go for fingerprint, but letting them know how dangerous it can be is not bad at all.

Passphrase is a different story and I like it, but I don't see a point in using it for mobile wallets that holds small amount of coins.
Including passphrase to generate different keys can be of people's preference, just like I have implied before, not using it can make some people to feel insecure as they keep their seed phrase offline, having a passhrase can be of help regardless of the amount of coins they have, if huge or not. Also the point is that passphrase is included in BIP, it is part of bitcoin improvement proposal that was implemented, any bitcoin wallet that do not support it do not have any excuse, it supposed to exist on all bitcoin wallets but to be optional.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1789
January 24, 2023, 06:39:32 AM
Because they use Bransfer, that possible they use that application to collect all crypto exchanges API in one application. But I don't know how important that is.
Are you sure this refers to the same app? Looks different to me. Or are they related in any way? I don't see Bransfer being mentioned in the link OP shared either. Other than ChangeNOW which was mentioned above, it seems like they also use SimpleSwap according to their Twitter. CMIIW.

because when I want to trade my crypto, I always use price data from an exchange I want to transfer. it is real and more accurate than average.
I can understand if an average is used if the wallet doesn't necessarily use an exchange to swap the coins to prevent an 'unfair' rate. I think that's the trade-off a user need to accept if they don't want to stick with one exchange. But I'd avoid ChangeNOW or other instant exchange services if possible since they can flag your transaction and ask KYC at any given time.
Pages:
Jump to: