Pages:
Author

Topic: Standalone Dedicated Bitcoin Device - page 2. (Read 2517 times)

Activity: 938
Merit: 1002
September 02, 2011, 12:48:26 AM
Somebody needs to develop a hardware device whose only purpose in life is to connect to a network and send/receive/store bitcoins.  Don't cha think?

Apocalypse-proof solid state Bitcoin wallets nodes could solve our Internet dependency, e.g. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/open-tag-mode-2-dash7-digital-radios-8540

There are some ideas for utilizing a mesh network for Bitcoin if you search the forums. I even remember someone talking about using Bitcoin to pay fees automatically for long-range high-bandwidth connections. I had an idea to pay the node device owners as well but didn't have time to draft yet. Wink
Activity: 49
Merit: 0
September 01, 2011, 11:44:28 PM
The Raspberry Pi or plug computers might be suitable for this.
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
September 01, 2011, 11:43:24 PM
Right On Johnny, good thinking.

I don't mean a miner.

Something to transfer and store bitcoins.  A little gizmo with wifi or satellite connection that can safely do btc transactions and nothing else.

you can do this now with an android device, an unused phone for example.  without cell phone service you just can't make calls, apps still work fine via wifi and there is already a functional bitcoin wallet for android
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
September 01, 2011, 11:39:33 PM
I don't mean a miner.

Something to transfer and store bitcoins.  A little gizmo with wifi or satellite connection that can safely do btc transactions and nothing else.

you can do this now with an android device, an unused phone for example.  without cell phone service you just can't make calls, apps still work fine via wifi and there is already a functional bitcoin wallet for android
Activity: 91
Merit: 10
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
September 01, 2011, 09:29:02 PM
No offense, but this idea is like the first things you think about when "making a product about bitcoin".
Yeah it's gonna come but that isn't something somebody would invest their money in right now, but when it will be feasible there will be plenty of such devices & competition will be huge. But this gonna take time probably after the second hype cycle when it becomes clear that client on smartphones are as insecure as online-wallets.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
September 01, 2011, 08:56:27 PM
lawl

how about you do it then?
Activity: 560
Merit: 500
September 01, 2011, 08:54:43 PM
FPGA boards?
legendary
Activity: 1012
Merit: 1000
September 01, 2011, 08:53:02 PM
Somebody needs to develop a hardware device whose only purpose in life is to connect to a network and send/receive/store bitcoins.  Don't cha think?
Pages:
Jump to: