Pages:
Author

Topic: Starfish Personal Credit Ratings - page 2. (Read 4744 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
August 18, 2012, 10:27:48 PM
It is buried in another thread, but the only person who approached me about a rating backed out.  Why, because I asked for the same information I would of any other loan I might undertake including a photo ID.  They didn't trust me enough to provide it.  Result, zero Starfish because I'm not about to provide funds to someone if they can not even front up with something simple like that.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
August 18, 2012, 10:13:18 PM
As someone who is considering being a lender, this is fantastic... I have wanted to do loans, but the risk was always higher than the reward for me, this will help leveling the playing field...

Great idea..
Activity: 104
Merit: 10
August 14, 2012, 10:27:46 PM
I think this is a great start. I think over time several of these will merge into a bitcoin Transunion type rating. This will become much more important as we see more BTC revolving accounts.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 502
August 14, 2012, 08:59:10 PM
I just noticed this today for the first time while reading a thread.... Great idea man......Smiley
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
August 11, 2012, 06:39:14 PM

How do we verify someone's rating apart from a PM to Patrick?

Maybe a pgp signed star fish certification, with a well known public key. Or Patrick publishes all ratings, but I am sure not everyone rated would want that in public.

That's what the reserved post #2 is for.  I was going to add some of the most reputable borrowers to give an idea, and then got distracted working out how to insert a small starfish image - I'll be working on it today.

So that's what "reserved" means. I have been trying to figure that out for the longest time. At first I thought it had to do with GLBSE for some reason.
August 11, 2012, 05:48:14 PM

Maybe a pgp signed star fish certification, with a well known public key. Or Patrick publishes all ratings, but I am sure not everyone rated would want that in public.

That's what the reserved post #2 is for.  I was going to add some of the most reputable borrowers to give an idea, and then got distracted working out how to insert a small starfish image - I'll be working on it today.
Activity: 187
Merit: 100
August 11, 2012, 12:09:16 PM

Activity: 784
0xFB0D8D1534241423
August 11, 2012, 10:43:44 AM
this is great.

how does one go about finding out their own personal credit score?
If you're lending, you just ask him. If you're borrowing, it'll cost you 5 BTC
Activity: 896
Buy this account on March-2019. New Owner here!!
August 11, 2012, 02:24:48 AM
this is great.

how does one go about finding out their own personal credit score?
Activity: 784
0xFB0D8D1534241423
August 11, 2012, 01:34:02 AM
1 StarfishBad Riskup to 10BTC paying 50% for first claim
2 Starfish - up to 25BTC paying 60% for first claim
3 Starfish - up to 100BTC paying 70% for first claim
4 Starfish - up to 250BTC paying 80% for first claim
5 StarfishTrustedup to 1000BTC paying 90% for first claim
At first I thought it wasn't wise to have the lowest "insurance" be 50%, but then I realized what you did there, you clever asteroidea. 50% of 10BTC is 5 BTC, the price of the rating Wink
Nice work Smiley
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
August 10, 2012, 10:42:38 PM

not if they got a back stabbing exwife who F**ked up their credit score just to be a spiteful B**CH Angry

How does one go about doing that?
Activity: 360
Merit: 250
August 10, 2012, 08:50:43 PM
I have no particular use for a credit score - I assume you're talking something USA based.  That doesn't help in the framework that is essentially non-recourse loans.

If a personal credit score isn't considered, potential customers might conclude they have no particular use for the rating service you are offering.  There is a strong correlation between one's credit score and their ability and willingness to repay loans.

not if they got a back stabbing exwife who F**ked up their credit score just to be a spiteful B**CH Angry
August 10, 2012, 08:21:51 PM
I have no particular use for a credit score - I assume you're talking something USA based.  That doesn't help in the framework that is essentially non-recourse loans.

If a personal credit score isn't considered, potential customers might conclude they have no particular use for the rating service you are offering.  There is a strong correlation between one's credit score and their ability and willingness to repay loans.

Thanks for the comment - it's useful to consider different points of view.

If someone was offering that as support for their credit worthiness, then that would probably help some people.  However, credit scores are not universal (for instance, I don't have one) and in a recourse/contractual sense, people are more likely to pay in real life when there are consequences versus bitcoin land where most scams go unpunished. 
vip
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136
The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)
August 10, 2012, 06:37:28 PM

August 10, 2012, 05:31:38 PM
A copy of your real credit score... free and more valuable to a potential lender if you are actually a good credit risk.
While you might be right, there's a certain attraction to us being self regulating.

Also, people that have established borrowing reputations are unlikely to need to obtain a score unless they are looking to do something different.  Using ScottJ as an example, our arrangement is working fine and I wouldn't expect him to need to spend 5 coins to get a rating.  If he went to Kluge for a loan, he'd cite me as a reference.
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1222
brb keeping up with the Kardashians
August 10, 2012, 12:21:59 PM
While you might be right, there's a certain attraction to us being self regulating.

Fkn wrd.  Kind like Luxembourg.
legendary
Activity: 1792
August 10, 2012, 12:02:02 PM
A copy of your real credit score... free and more valuable to a potential lender if you are actually a good credit risk.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
August 10, 2012, 11:55:52 AM
legendary
Activity: 1792
August 10, 2012, 08:13:56 AM
This is a great idea Cool

I would love to get myself rated, though have little need to at the moment so spending 5 BTC would be frivolous.

This will undoubtedly take some time to set up and is not without risk, so thanks Patrick.
August 09, 2012, 11:07:51 PM
The starfish already has my personal data on file somewhere, as I've done a loan through him in the past

Yes I do.  (and a successful loan it was too)

Why wouldn't I trust my personal data with a starfish?  Tongue

Just kidding, nice idea. I hope you don't get shakaru'd.

I'll add the info to my dirt collection (under the rock) - the object of the exercise, like the WPW thread is to keep data confidential.  For example, today I have done a preliminary rating for someone, very interesting, but it's not public.

As for being shakaru'd, I hope not, but I expect to suffer a couple of painful losses in the course of setting this up.

Pages:
Jump to: