Pages:
Author

Topic: Started getting paid 100% in Bitcoin starting with my last paycheck - page 3. (Read 7043 times)

legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
How tough was it to adjust to the loss of value of your 12/31 paycheck and 1/14?

I think your effort and intent is bold and important, but the reality is that the value of all products and services is still based on fiat prices. If your 12/31 paycheck earned you BTC10 (at $319 per BTC) and the USD price per BTC is $174 on 1/14 you've lost half of your purchasing power from that 12/31 paycheck. How do you handle that?

Your 10 coins from 12/31 can only buy $1740 in goods and service, compared to your hypothetical $3190 pay two weeks earlier.

With dollar cost averaging if I were to spend the exact same every paycheck then it would even out.

But, with volatility I am able to re-think my spending based on the price. If the price drops I might avoid going out to eat that week or hold off on a big purchase. If the price goes up I can treat myself to a nice night out or something I have been wanting for a while.

But I do not live paycheck to paycheck, I did this knowing I have enough to last me about a year or so. My only bills are my rent, my mortgage (which is being paid by an incoming rent check) and gas/food. My rent is about $1k euro which is nice since the euro has fallen a lot against the dollar. Gas costs me about $50 per month, food about 200 euro. My monthly income is over 5 times those monthly bills.

If I want to play it safe, I spend my bitcoins as close to payday as possible. I bought a video game yesterday and by spending bitcoins I got an 8% discount. The price was down about 5% from Friday, so I still come out ahead.
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
I would be willing to take a 5% cut just to have this service available to me in my country the US are blessed
Activity: 373
Merit: 250
People who don't live paycheck-to-paycheck don't need to worry about short term price volatility.

Suppose someone gets paid twice per month. On the same day they get paid, they should buy enough national currency to cover their next two weeks of expenses, and save the rest of their bitcoins.

Sure, the purchasing power of their savings will be volatile, but the point of having savings is for their future purchasing power, not their present purchasing power. If they needed to be spent right away they wouldn't be savings.

Very well said.
Activity: 1
Really wish this was available in other countries and no strickly the usa.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
People who don't live paycheck-to-paycheck don't need to worry about short term price volatility.

Suppose someone gets paid twice per month. On the same day they get paid, they should buy enough national currency to cover their next two weeks of expenses, and save the rest of their bitcoins.

Sure, the purchasing power of their savings will be volatile, but the point of having savings is for their future purchasing power, not their present purchasing power. If they needed to be spent right away they wouldn't be savings.
Activity: 434
Loose lips sink sigs!
How tough was it to adjust to the loss of value of your 12/31 paycheck and 1/14?

I think your effort and intent is bold and important, but the reality is that the value of all products and services is still based on fiat prices. If your 12/31 paycheck earned you BTC10 (at $319 per BTC) and the USD price per BTC is $174 on 1/14 you've lost half of your purchasing power from that 12/31 paycheck. How do you handle that?

Your 10 coins from 12/31 can only buy $1740 in goods and service, compared to your hypothetical $3190 pay two weeks earlier.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
The awesome thing about getting paid in Bitcoin is how much larger one's paychecks become when the price is low.
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
I set up my direct deposit to the account number they provided me...

I wonder if this can be done with other things that are not exactly wages? For example revenue from AirBNB?

They ask for a payroll company. They work directly with payroll companies.
Activity: 44
I set up my direct deposit to the account number they provided me...

I wonder if this can be done with other things that are not exactly wages? For example revenue from AirBNB?
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
Activity: 2
Does bitwage take any fees out?
Activity: 373
Got paid at a rate of $212/BTC this paycheck. Needless to say, my bitcoin amount was much higher than last paycheck.

Great! I hope you will get fewer and fewer BTC in the future. Just another way to say BTC will rise.

Keep it low for a bit for his sake and then have it rise. Let him accumulate some for taking this sort of task on! =)
Activity: 406
Got paid at a rate of $212/BTC this paycheck. Needless to say, my bitcoin amount was much higher than last paycheck.

Great! I hope you will get fewer and fewer BTC in the future. Just another way to say BTC will rise.
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
If you convert all your salary into BTC and sell some of them in localbitcoins.com for day to day living, you might break the law if your total transaction is over certain limit.

Which law allows you to sell something but only up to a certain amount?

I think so in the US. If your transaction is too high, then you are a money transmitter.

I'm not in the US. p2p transactions are legal where I live
Activity: 434
If you convert all your salary into BTC and sell some of them in localbitcoins.com for day to day living, you might break the law if your total transaction is over certain limit.

I think so in the US. If your transaction is too high, then you are a money transmitter.
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas

Activity: 406
legendary
Viva Ut Vivas
Congratulations Elwar! You're the most ardent BTC's fan I know.
If there were thousands like you, price of BTC would quickly jump back above $1,000.

One little question about bitwage: are they fast? How long does it take between the moment your employer pays them and you get the money in your wallet?

It is very fast. My company sends out the payroll on Thursday and I usually get paid on Friday, but looking at my e-mail, the first check showed going through on Friday my second check showed it going through on Thursday. Some of my co-workers use USAA so they get paid on Thursday, most regular banks have always given me a delay.

If you are looking for a better estimate I will pay closer attention to the time next paycheck.
How do they protect themselves from fake direct deposits? or direct deposits that end up getting returned for various reasons? or do they only accept direct deposits from certain employers?

From what someone else mentioned, they are working directly with the payroll companies. So it is likely that they know when the payroll company releases the money, from which company and for which employee. At the very least, when they receive the deposit they see the company that did the deposit.

It does not look very easy to duplicate so they will likely not see competition soon, and it is not something that will be easy to copy in other companies unless you work in the payroll industry.
Activity: 209
Merit: 100
Congratulations Elwar! You're the most ardent BTC's fan I know.
If there were thousands like you, price of BTC would quickly jump back above $1,000.

One little question about bitwage: are they fast? How long does it take between the moment your employer pays them and you get the money in your wallet?

It is very fast. My company sends out the payroll on Thursday and I usually get paid on Friday, but looking at my e-mail, the first check showed going through on Friday my second check showed it going through on Thursday. Some of my co-workers use USAA so they get paid on Thursday, most regular banks have always given me a delay.

If you are looking for a better estimate I will pay closer attention to the time next paycheck.
How do they protect themselves from fake direct deposits? or direct deposits that end up getting returned for various reasons? or do they only accept direct deposits from certain employers?
Pages:
Jump to: