Pages:
Author

Topic: Starting out in bitcoin - Dual 5970... - page 2. (Read 8261 times)

Activity: 80
Merit: 10
March 12, 2011, 10:15:40 PM

When you say Ghz, do you mean Ghash/s? See pics added to my previous post Smiley

Yes typo, 1.3Ghashes/s
Activity: 112
March 12, 2011, 09:50:06 PM
Even when I exit the client my CPu remains at 100%. Task manager is showing each process running within the poclbm-gui applications is using 25% of my cpu (Four miners, one for each GPU).

That raises another question. With crossfire enabled across both 5970's (So all four GPU's act as "One"), do I need 4 miners? I have the option to select each GPU core individually, but was curious if it was required.
Activity: 126
Merit: 101
March 12, 2011, 07:34:25 PM
[edit] Also, is it normal for the poclbm-gui client to use the CPU for mining too, even though it is not set to use it?

It is the bitcoin client that is using your CPU. Turn off the generate coins setting. It isn't needed for mining with a separate mining program and there are better cpu mining programs.
March 12, 2011, 07:12:10 PM
Check out http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php

You can use it to determine the average time to mine a block. A single block is worth 50BTC and with around 1.3GHz the time would be

Probability      Time
Average      2 days, 21 hours, 55 minutes
50%              2 days, 0 hours, 28 minutes
95%              8 days, 17 hours, 28 minutes

A good way to quickly get some bitcoins would be to join a pool. From my own experience I like bitpenny.com and slush's pool.

When you say Ghz, do you mean Ghash/s? See pics added to my previous post Smiley
March 12, 2011, 07:06:19 PM
Check out http://www.alloscomp.com/bitcoin/calculator.php

You can use it to determine the average time to mine a block. A single block is worth 50BTC and with around 1.3GHz the time would be

Probability      Time
Average      2 days, 21 hours, 55 minutes
50%              2 days, 0 hours, 28 minutes
95%              8 days, 17 hours, 28 minutes

A good way to quickly get some bitcoins would be to join a pool. From my own experience I like bitpenny.com and slush's pool.
March 12, 2011, 07:01:30 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I got the solo bitcoin client and the poclbm-gui running, which is generating between 800Mhash/s and 1.3Ghash/s (And pushing my cards to the limit). At this rate, how long would it generally take to make 1 bitcoin?

Just trying to figure out it this will even pay for the electricity used to mine the coins...Thanks again

[edit] Also, is it normal for the poclbm-gui client to use the CPU for mining too, even though it is not set to use it?

March 12, 2011, 06:39:26 PM
So I'm just starting out in the Bitcoin mining adventure, and I just need a little help starting. I have a dual 5970 system and I have a couple of questions:

)From what I have seen, most people like to use Ubuntu for the Bitcoin OS. Is there a windows option? I am comfortable with Ubuntu but a windows version would be more suitable for me.
)Is there an x64 GPU application? I run an x64 windows OS and as such it will not load the generic client (Invalid executable).

Any other basic starting info is greatly appreciated.

From what I've read I believe the reason that people ( including myself ) use Ubuntu over windows when you have a dual card setup is because you can't turn off the crossfire feature which will reduce your overall Mh/s.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1054
March 12, 2011, 05:09:54 PM
You can use Kiv's GUI frontend for poclbm. If you use a pool, that (and the ATI stream SDK) is all you need. If you want to mine solo you need some form of bitcoin client. I had no problem using the default client on Windows 7 ultimate 64-bit.
March 12, 2011, 04:58:43 PM
So I'm just starting out in the Bitcoin mining adventure, and I just need a little help starting. I have a dual 5970 system and I have a couple of questions:

)From what I have seen, most people like to use Ubuntu for the Bitcoin OS. Is there a windows option? I am comfortable with Ubuntu but a windows version would be more suitable for me.
)Is there an x64 GPU application? I run an x64 windows OS and as such it will not load the generic client (Invalid executable).

Any other basic starting info is greatly appreciated.
Pages:
Jump to: