Pages:
Author

Topic: Starting up Beef Jerky Company - page 2. (Read 1035 times)

Activity: 149
Merit: 25
June 22, 2020, 09:32:08 AM
I'll take some forget the sample

How much is it for like 5 pounds?

5 pounds of jerky or 5 pounds of meat (before being turned into jerky)?

I sent my brother a batch of jerky for his birthday. It was three separate bags at 34oz per bag before it was dried out. After drying the bags came to 15-20oz each. So lets call it a solid 3-3.5lbs after drying vs. 6lbs 4oz before. So roughly I'd need to buy 10lbs of meat -- and current costs for me range between $5.99/lb to $7.99/lb due to the issues caused by coronavirus. And thats just the straight meat cost currently and not accounting for anything else (power, sauce/ingredients).
Activity: 1974
Merit: 756
To boldly go where no rabbit has gone before...
June 22, 2020, 07:46:30 AM
You mentioned you had an instagram profile. Mind sharing the username so i can check it out?
Hoping to find more pics or some vids on the process, as beef jerky is really delicious, and kind of a rarity here in Europe.
Activity: 2254
Merit: 960
100% Deposit Match UP TO €5000!
June 22, 2020, 03:01:13 AM
I'll take some forget the sample

How much is it for like 5 pounds?
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 2195
EIN: 82-3893490
June 21, 2020, 09:04:55 PM
both look good - I dabble in it a little myself but never on a large scale - maybe 2 lbs at at time tops. The grandkids love it as long as I dont make it too spicy lol

looking forward to trying yours.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958
First Exclusion Ever
June 21, 2020, 05:19:52 PM
If you can provide quality products, I see no reason why you couldn't do well here. Production scale beef producers have operated here for years (RIP Andelin). If you are willing to send a sample I would be glad to give it a review. Send me a pm.
June 21, 2020, 04:00:37 PM
I'm also interested, even tho i'm outside of US.
Please let me know when you have a website read and atleast an idea of the price + shipping to EU

As I said at the very top I don't have a website, just an instagram. I'm only just getting started and gauging interest.

No idea what international shipping would cost. But unless this turns out well for me it likely wouldn't make sense unless you would want it in a bulk amount versus a few ounces.

To give everyone an update on where I stand. FYI I marinade for a minimum of 24hrs. Cook time for both is 10hrs at 160F

Buffalo Chicken Jerky:
https://imgur.com/a/EEHqEGu

I've found a great simple recipe that I love for the buffalo chicken jerky. It's simply hot sauce, lime juice, extra virgin olive oil, and salt. 
I plan on taking this a few routes -- a "create your own" where I'll use whatever hot sauce that the customer would like, a "too hot to handle" where I'll try and find some of the hottest sauces I can, and also growing some of my own peppers to make a homemade hot sauce.
^^ Some input on the above routes would be great. Would you like to customize it where you can use your favorite hot sauces? Would you rather I just stick to a select few and not offer a customizeable option?

For this round I went with original Tabasco (says the scoville rating is between 2500 - 5000) and the Habenero Tabasco which says around 7500 scoville.  I'm personally a fan of really hot stuff. So I do fully intend to go hotter but wanted to keep it at a good intermediate place.

I just realized there isn't a picture of the packing of the chicken. It's from Heritage Farm and says it is inspected by the US Department of Agriculture. So far I've had no issues with it.

Beef Jerky (Honey):
https://imgur.com/a/JHllBS6

Everything you should want to know about this is in here. I used two different cuts because that's what was available at the store today. Boneless eye of round (USDA Choice) as well as Round Tip (USDA Choice). Total weight of the meat was 4lbs 12.9oz (before turning into jerky).

I used a sugar free BBQ Sauce (I'm a fan of low carb diets, so this is something thats particularly important to me -- keeping carbs in the sauce as low as possible). The nutrition information is available in the pictures as well.

Please take note, I do not wear gloves during preparation. Since the meat cooks for so long the temperatures are safe to kill all bacteria,etc. I will either use tongs or wear gloves to take anything off the trays if it is being sent out.
June 20, 2020, 03:29:13 AM
I'm also interested, even tho i'm outside of US.
Please let me know when you have a website read and atleast an idea of the price + shipping to EU
Activity: 382
Merit: 265
June 19, 2020, 12:46:34 PM
I love beef jerky and while beef jerky is not the industry I would start a company in right now, I think you should go for it if it's what you want to do.

anyways, DMed
legendary
June 19, 2020, 11:52:59 AM
are you willing to send samples?  Grin

I am, domestic to the United States.

If enough people are interested I would probably do like 3oz at a time and use a flat rate box. I wouldn't ask for cost to cover the meat since making the jerky is like a learning experience for me. Helping with shipping would be a plus.

I would be willing to give it a try and yes, I am in the US - FL.

Awesome! It looks like I have enough interest that I'll try and make a decent sized batch during the next week and give an update to those that are interested.

when you do - just shoot me a pm! I also provide escrow here as well - just not as long as some of the others have been but 100% positive ratings for the deals I have done.
June 19, 2020, 11:47:59 AM

If enough people are interested I would probably do like 3oz at a time and use a flat rate box. I wouldn't ask for cost to cover the meat since making the jerky is like a learning experience for me. Helping with shipping would be a plus.

Awesome! It looks like I have enough interest that I'll try and make a decent sized batch during the next week and give an update to those that are interested.
legendary
June 19, 2020, 10:27:26 AM

June 19, 2020, 09:58:21 AM
if it is good, I would pay for it with btc or other crypto - no issues at all. you could always start off with using a forum escrow as well until you build up enough trust for people to willingly send btc for a product - because crypto cannot be reversed or recouped like fiat or creditcards/paypal etc can.

Good point, I know there are people out there like krogoth that have very reliable escrow services. Doing that until I have some more official stuff like a website and proven reliability would be smart. Thanks!

The other part that I'm quite interested in doing is buffalo chicken jerky. I'm a huge fan of anything buffalo chicken. 

I think it's possible I'll make that my cornerstone. I can do different heat levels to it as well to attract people that love super hot stuff.

Chicken is nice because it seems to dry out a little bit more, which means better in terms of preservation. It's also cheaper by the pound and can help keep costs down for everyone Smiley
legendary
June 19, 2020, 09:57:56 AM
June 19, 2020, 09:54:20 AM
I currently only really have an instagram (@thecryptojerky)
Just finished checking your IG page and noticed you are using only a few tags for each of your posts [try to use up to 30 tags for maximum exposure].

Thanks for the tip. I've just been manually typing them in so its a bit tedious and since I'm not going hard at it yet I haven't been trying too hard

and no website yet.
I hope that changes soon since accepting crypto-currencies manually through IG isn't that ideal...
- In regards to payment processors, I suggest using either Blockonomics or BTCPay [coinbase and bitpay limits your customer base].

If there is anyone out there willing to take a risk and try some I'd like to get samples out and get some real thoughts and constructive criticism (friends and family are only so helpful).
From where are you?

United states.

Also thanks for the thoughts, I really appreciate it!

Hey everyone,

I'm starting up a beef jerky company and I'm looking to solely target the crypto market for payments. I currently only really have an instagram (@thecryptojerky) and no website yet. I'm working on figuring out the flavors that I like and the next steps I want to take. I've always wanted to do this but thanks to being at home for Covid I've had a lot more time to spend trying it out.

I'll eventually be working on how to package and label the product as well.

The cuts I'm using are top/eye/bottom round (whichever is easier to get at the time). I've tried lots of different store bought sauces, but have made a few different marinades myself.

If there is anyone out there willing to take a risk and try some I'd like to get samples out and get some real thoughts and constructive criticism (friends and family are only so helpful).

Love me some beef jerkey. However, you'll need to present some certification regarding meat quality and hygiene before ppl consider buying.
I know i know, most of the store bought stuff is substandard when it comes to that, but somehow people trust the mass produced packagins.

Let me know one a website and a catalogue is up. Also, what price range?

Here, 40 grams of imported USA beef jerkey goes for around $4

Everything I buy is USDA Prime certified Top/Eye/Bottom round (depending on whats available at the time) and I'd make sure to have all of that included when I ramp up.  Since i'm still very low production and just testing I'm not too worried about it yet. But that all makes sense. Right now I have no idea on the price range, things are kind of skewed due to the virus so prices are higher than i was paying earlier this year.
legendary
June 19, 2020, 08:55:58 AM
if it is good, I would pay for it with btc or other crypto - no issues at all. you could always start off with using a forum escrow as well until you build up enough trust for people to willingly send btc for a product - because crypto cannot be reversed or recouped like fiat or creditcards/paypal etc can.

For anything under $10 i'd risk it regardless of escrow. But like i said, my concern is quality and sanitization.

true - depends on quantity and volume for what the expense would be - and yes quality and cleanliness matters the most, food done wrong can be a killer, literally...
June 19, 2020, 04:17:06 AM

For anything under $10 i'd risk it regardless of escrow. But like i said, my concern is quality and sanitization.
legendary
June 18, 2020, 11:06:13 PM
June 18, 2020, 09:18:51 AM
Hey everyone,

I'm starting up a beef jerky company and I'm looking to solely target the crypto market for payments. I currently only really have an instagram (@thecryptojerky) and no website yet. I'm working on figuring out the flavors that I like and the next steps I want to take. I've always wanted to do this but thanks to being at home for Covid I've had a lot more time to spend trying it out.

I'll eventually be working on how to package and label the product as well.

The cuts I'm using are top/eye/bottom round (whichever is easier to get at the time). I've tried lots of different store bought sauces, but have made a few different marinades myself.

Love me some beef jerkey. However, you'll need to present some certification regarding meat quality and hygiene before ppl consider buying.
I know i know, most of the store bought stuff is substandard when it comes to that, but somehow people trust the mass produced packagins.

Let me know one a website and a catalogue is up. Also, what price range?

Here, 40 grams of imported USA beef jerkey goes for around $4
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
June 18, 2020, 06:39:53 AM
I currently only really have an instagram (@thecryptojerky)
Just finished checking your IG page and noticed you are using only a few tags for each of your posts [try to use up to 30 tags for maximum exposure].

and no website yet.
I hope that changes soon since accepting crypto-currencies manually through IG isn't that ideal...
- In regards to payment processors, I suggest using either Blockonomics or BTCPay [coinbase and bitpay limits your customer base].

From where are you?
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 1406
June 17, 2020, 01:12:33 PM
I do not think that this field will be suitable for cryptocurrencies due to the many complications that we may face transferring the product from the source to the consumer so it is better that it is promoted within the region or country as a maximum.
Perhaps the contribution of individuals and companies will be beneficial, but paying in cryptos will be an additional option and not the only payment method.

You can use LN/bitcoin payment for some small projects> or using payment peocessoers like coinbase/bitpay

Read more:

- https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/8cps83/my_beef_jerky_company_now_accepts_bitcoin/
 - https://www.reddit.com/r/CoinBase/comments/888vdz/my_beef_jerky_company_now_accepts_crypto_payments/

I get what youre saying. But I want to be different than the other ones. I'm doing this for fun and want to accept what I want to accept.

Good luck on your venture.  If your looking to send out some samples I would provide feedback regarding your project.  And kudos to you for going 100% crypto
Pages:
Jump to: