Pages:
Author

Topic: stateless seasteaders existed for hundreds of years, we just need to join them - page 3. (Read 2969 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
I just wanted to inanely add how cool it is to be part of a community that has even heard of seasteading. Wub ya, bitcoiners  Kiss
legendary
Activity: 1134
Merit: 1002
You cannot kill love
To build off my last post, there's a place in the Caribbean, in international waters, that is shallow enough to create an artificial island on with the use of a dredger and concrete blocks for the perimeter.

Though it's too late for this idea to come to fruition imo.

In the Bermuda Triangle?  Grin
Na it was a little below that I think.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
Yea like i said in an earlier comment. It definitely would have to be a stepping stone at best. Think of it as a nursery for a proper future sea-stead.

As for running away. I'm perfectly content to run away if thats what i have to do to get my freedom. But thats just a personal choice. I totally respect your mentality of fighting for what is yours.

Of course it would be expensive. But freedom would cause our society to be so unprecedentedly productive that it would more than make up for the cost.
Activity: 187
Merit: 109
Converting information into power since 1867
Neat video. There's definitely something cool about the way these people live. There is an undeniable air of freedom to it.

But as mentioned, they are not free from the state. It's not just that they're in the territorial waters of Malaysia. They are totally dependent on their interaction with land, and strongly affected by local legislation and state action. They are also dirt poor and their life seems really, really tough.

To me, this video embodies what I don't like about the idea of seasteading: it's a cop out. Nation states have all the land, so we should run off and live at sea. Well guess what? That's not even remotely practical, in addition to being ideologically irresponsible. People are naturally dependent on land to survive. And even if we could find a way to survive at sea (at great expense), it would still be running away. Land is ours, and we should fight for it instead of sailing off. We should all stay right here, on dry land, where most people will always live, where we can survive comfortably, where most natural resources are found, and we should fight the state. Right where we are now.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
To build off my last post, there's a place in the Caribbean, in international waters, that is shallow enough to create an artificial island on with the use of a dredger and concrete blocks for the perimeter.

In the Bermuda Triangle?  Grin
legendary
You cannot kill love

legendary
Would this technically be seasteading as international waters are 12 nautical miles away from a country?

I know a shallow place and a good method to seastead but nobody wanted to listen to me back in 2012.

maybe not de jure but i think its pretty much de facto sea steading.

atleast its almost certainly the closest thing to it and so a natural launching point. Mostly i just want to communicate the idea of a decentralized approach to seasteading.
legendary
You cannot kill love
Would this technically be seasteading as international waters are 12 nautical miles away from a country?

I know a shallow place and a good method to seastead but nobody wanted to listen to me back in 2012.
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
I need to learn how to cook the pufferfish safely while checking my raspberry Pi bitcoin wallet at sea.

Thats the spirit!

Its strange to me that libertarians tend to be so committed to a centralized approach to seasteading. We just need to buy sailboats and pick a meeting place. Grin
My idea would be to recreate the Roman Colosseum + Las Vegas in the middle of the sea. People would come, pay, bet in bitcoin to see what Romans did best when almost no rules were applied. The world court would have no jurisdiction. 

oh i didnt know we had a trillionare who wanted to make a sea stead. well that solves everything.

no but seriously of course its going to be hard. its going to be hard as hell. This would only be a lunching point obviously. We would need to move out into open waters once our numbers became great enough. People could start opening businesses and we could begin to have an economy. Once our numbers became great enough to move out into open seas than we could get everything we needed through trade. let entrepreneurs figure out how to provide us with the things we need from land.

either way this is never going to start with some ridiculously wealthy guy with a grand plan. the only way to make seasteads happen is for people to get out there and start living it now.

In theory... Satoshi could make it happen hmm...
legendary
I need to learn how to cook the pufferfish safely while checking my raspberry Pi bitcoin wallet at sea.

Thats the spirit!

Its strange to me that libertarians tend to be so committed to a centralized approach to seasteading. We just need to buy sailboats and pick a meeting place. Grin
My idea would be to recreate the Roman Colosseum + Las Vegas in the middle of the sea. People would come, pay, bet in bitcoin to see what Romans did best when almost no rules were applied. The world court would have no jurisdiction. 

oh i didnt know we had a trillionare who wanted to make a sea stead. well that solves everything.

no but seriously of course its going to be hard. its going to be hard as hell. This would only be a lunching point obviously. We would need to move out into open waters once our numbers became great enough. People could start opening businesses and we could begin to have an economy. Once our numbers became great enough to move out into open seas than we could get everything we needed through trade. let entrepreneurs figure out how to provide us with the things we need from land.

either way this is never going to start with some ridiculously wealthy guy with a grand plan. the only way to make seasteads happen is for people to get out there and start living it now.
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Thats the spirit!

But sadly that is not reality. According to the video, they have more and more difficulties fishing freely because of new laws, illegal fishing, and getting authorization to get the wood from private islands. they can barely buy enough gas for their boat. To be free in international waters one would need to be totally independent from any resources on land, or risking a power struggle from some "sponsors". That good soul, believer in "the cause" would end up being our only energy supply and ultimate tyrant.

Seasteading needs a game plan to attract the energy to them and not for them to beg and turning into sea gypsies with bitcoins.

legendary

Thats the spirit!

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
legendary
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlqKINHkygQ

Stateless sea steads already exist guys. All we need to do is start buying sailboats and heading out there to join them. We will bring them capital and wealth and in exchange they can teach us how to live off the sea. Both can benefit from the mixing of cultures. This is the path towards a sea seating future. Not some centralized top down approach with a giant cruise ship or oil platform. People just need to buy sail boats and get out there and start living it. These sea gypsies can help us realize that vision with a decentralized approach to sea steading.
Pages:
Jump to: