Pages:
Author

Topic: Stay away from centralized wallets - page 13. (Read 3937 times)

Activity: 74
Merit: 1
Crypto Enthusiast
April 12, 2020, 07:48:52 AM
Cryptocurrency wallets are made to store advanced resources, oversee security issues like sparing mystery keys and personality checks. To tell you the best  Multi-crypto wallet is significantly more secure than the trading stages as a long string, which is alluded to as the key speaks to the location of your portfolio and produced through refined cryptography strategies.

Security on the web is akin to game of whack-a-mole and your level of security will likely scale accordingly with the amount of sensitive data (or crypto assets) that you are protecting.

While there is no such thing as an ‘unhackable’ system, there are valuable steps that you can take to drastically reduce your likelihood of compromise.

Always remember to:

Use complex and unique passwords
Create a separate/dedicated email account for crypto services
Use two-factor authentication
Store most (if not all) of your funds on wallets
Be wary of phishing emails
Good luck and stay safe!

This guide will help you to find the best Bitcoin wallet or cryptocurrency wallet for YOU!
https://medium.com/ramcrypto-publication/top-5-best-cryptocurrency-wallets-in-2020-649a4bf29c94
Activity: 938
Merit: 159
April 11, 2020, 01:49:09 PM
obviously i prefer the decentralized wallets of which the developers do not hold the private keys which are generated directly within the app itself and which do not require sensitive user data
Activity: 462
Merit: 19
April 11, 2020, 01:43:58 PM
Do you even know the difference between Centralized wallets and Dec wallets? Days back I lost my coinbase account and the team aren't helping, I'm glad I only have little Bitcoin on the account, would have been a different story if I use coinomi or atomic wallet because they give users 💯 control over their funds, private keys and recovery seed are important, always remember that

Example of Centralized wallets
1. Coinbase
2. Nexo
3. Luno
4. Xapo
5. Freewallet

Any wallets that ask you create an account with mail and password is centralized, they monitor your private keys for you, be smart

Describe your case with Coinbase better and how you lost your account there. As I know their support is quite friendly and helping when they can. I know 1 guy who got hacked his coinbase account and only fast reaction of the  coinbase support saved his money
Coinbase is a big company in crypto space, that's undeniable but the fact is they stay centralized, no one can change that fact, decentralized wallets are safer, whether coinbase team are fast in response or not, Centralized will always remain centralized
Activity: 1120
Merit: 68
April 11, 2020, 01:21:56 PM
Do you even know the difference between Centralized wallets and Dec wallets? Days back I lost my coinbase account and the team aren't helping, I'm glad I only have little Bitcoin on the account, would have been a different story if I use coinomi or atomic wallet because they give users 💯 control over their funds, private keys and recovery seed are important, always remember that

1. Coinbase
2. Nexo
3. Luno
4. Xapo
5. Freewallet

Any wallets that ask you create an account with mail and password is centralized, they monitor your private keys for you, be smart
To be honest, i have used coinbase to store some of my bitcoins, but i have never face any problems like that because Coinbase is one of the biggest exchange that was already used by most crypto users. I know that centralized wallets aren't really that safe for hackers, but maybe the reason why the team members aren't responding because they assume that you are just bluffing pretending that you are just someone else.
Activity: 663
Merit: 10
https://streamies.io/
April 11, 2020, 12:50:06 PM
in fact it only happens to some of the wallets that do not have credibility. Coinbase is a big exchange for Americans and they only support them, in addition to foreign users will be easy to lose money and not supported. This is one of Coinbase's weaknesses and that's why it doesn't make a lot of impact. Right now, we have a better centralized wallet, Blockchain. I have tried it for the last 7 months and did not have any inconvenience and it is very safe.
Activity: 1204
Merit: 388
April 11, 2020, 12:07:01 PM
The fact that you have lost access to your wallet does not mean that all centralized wallets are bad and not trustworthy. There are many examples of wallets that work for a long time and have an impeccable reputation. The question is always about how you relate to your security, whether there are any gaps or vulnerabilities in your system.
Exactly what I was about to ask now. Centralised wallets aren't secured, yeah, but they can be easily recovered if you forget your details like password. You can also enable 2fa on your wallet but decentralized wallet on the other hand, if you lose your details like private key or phrase, there can't be any support to help you. That's what makes you have control over your wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 2100
Marketing Campaign Manager |Telegram ID- @LT_Mouse
April 10, 2020, 08:52:17 PM
Describe your case with Coinbase better and how you lost your account there. As I know their support is quite friendly and helping when they can. I know 1 guy who got hacked his coinbase account and only fast reaction of the  coinbase support saved his money
It is not about being hacked or losing funds. In centralize wallet, you have no access over your fund directly. That's why sometimes you have face a lot of hassle. Coinbase is a good one no doubt but can you believe I had stucked with around 0.10 BTC for couple of hours because they did not let me send BTC. There was no reason, nothing doubting. But if it was no centralize wallet and I had all access, I did not need to wait such long time for sending BTC.
Activity: 1232
Merit: 331
DAO MAKER
April 10, 2020, 04:00:52 PM

1. Coinbase
2. Nexo
3. Luno
4. Xapo
5. Freewallet

Activity: 406
Merit: 104
Convert Crypto at BestChange
April 10, 2020, 04:00:18 PM
I still make use of Coinbase but I don’t use it as a storage, it’s mainly when I want to trade and I don’t even use it regularly, and I also use it for monitoring the prices of cryptocurrency and getting notifications whenever there are changes.

I also use Blockchain, it might be a Centralized cryptocurrency wallet, but I like their wallet and simple interface that’s very user-friendly. I once lost access to my wallet but then I was still a newbie, and was able to recover that wallet when I knew that every wallet is attached to your email, so I was able to log back into that old wallet with its ID and recovered everything. I make use of Trust wallet as well, it’s a decentralized wallet.

Exactly! I have been using Coinbase wallet for more than five years, haven't faced any problem there, but I know whenever you face problems, you have the option to recover through your email! Therefore Coinbase has a support desk too, sadly that is very slow! But still, Centralized wallets are not be suggested to store assets for a long time, as like the centralized exchanges!
Activity: 896
Merit: 108
April 10, 2020, 03:50:55 PM
same thing happened with my xapo wallet....i lost my account and they were not even replying to my mails...very unprofessional behaviour from them and and i lost my savings of bitcoin there....so i would also recommend the same
Very ironic. Hopefully, your experience can be a lesson for us all. Well, the safest wallet is to use a hardware wallet, especially if we store cryptocurrency in large quantities. However, if you want to use an online wallet, both for PCs and smartphones, you should use a truly secure wallet with good reviews. For BTC, use a wallet that has been verified by Bitcoin.org. The wallet in the list has been analyzed based on specified criteria.
Activity: 2534
Merit: 586
April 10, 2020, 02:07:09 PM
I still make use of Coinbase but I don’t use it as a storage, it’s mainly when I want to trade and I don’t even use it regularly, and I also use it for monitoring the prices of cryptocurrency and getting notifications whenever there are changes.

I also use Blockchain, it might be a Centralized cryptocurrency wallet, but I like their wallet and simple interface that’s very user-friendly. I once lost access to my wallet but then I was still a newbie, and was able to recover that wallet when I knew that every wallet is attached to your email, so I was able to log back into that old wallet with its ID and recovered everything. I make use of Trust wallet as well, it’s a decentralized wallet.
Activity: 1596
Merit: 264
April 10, 2020, 02:06:59 PM
In short, you're pointing in online wallets.
Yes and newbies should know that their private key should be upon their responsibility and not by someone else, because it is their loss in the end as they are the one putting their moneys in those wallets not the devs behind the wallet, well maybe minor losses from service charges but the users have it the worse damage.
Consider also OP the exchange wallets as it has become a habit for some people to just be lazy and leave their funds beside an exchange.
I remembered the hack in Binance during August 2019, and people should learn from that.
Activity: 925
Merit: 100
April 10, 2020, 01:57:33 PM

1. Coinbase
2. Nexo
3. Luno
4. Xapo
5. Freewallet

The first and main idea of blockchain is decentralization, that is, users are in charge of their details and so forth, centralization on the other hand goes against this idea, hence users are still at the mercy of these platforms, if their funds isn't stolen by the platform (in some cases though), it gets hacked etc. Hence, i agree with you totally, these centralized wallets should be avoided at all cost because it reduces security of assets which is also the same reason it is not safe to save assets on centralized exchanges. As for me, there is a greater feeling that comes with being in charge of your assets and knowing that no one monitors it apart from you.
Activity: 840
Merit: 126
Welcome back 🙏
April 10, 2020, 11:34:54 AM

1. Coinbase
2. Nexo
3. Luno
4. Xapo
5. Freewallet

same thing happened with my xapo wallet....i lost my account and they were not even replying to my mails...very unprofessional behaviour from them and and i lost my savings of bitcoin there....so i would also recommend the same
Activity: 1204
Merit: 38
April 10, 2020, 11:32:02 AM
Online wallets are even worse. Just use wallets without registrations. I dont now why people like custody solutions so much
Because it's simple and fast. That is why people like to use online wallets. As long as you store your private key carefully, I believe your property will always be safe and no one will be able to steal it from you.
Online wallets doesn't give you private key, they manage it by themselves so you have no control over your funds, even the authority of that wallet can take all the money and run away still you can't do anything.Wallets with private keys are decentralized but some of them are not really decentralized so choose your wallet wisely.
Activity: 980
Merit: 260
April 10, 2020, 11:24:49 AM
There is a reason why decentralisation has gone so far and offered us so many wonderful and innovative ways to take care of our investments and capital in general. Having said this, going for centralised wallets on your decentralised investment does not makes much sense right? By doing so there is unnecessary exposure and increased risk of losing all that money - so be cautious when choosing to join the crypto industry there're many ways to get ripped off.
Activity: 32
Merit: 0
April 10, 2020, 10:05:44 AM
Make sure you care, it's your money that is in the wallet, if that wallet provider is not reputable, please avoid using it, that's the way to protect your coins.
People do care, but they trust different things. Some of us trust only ourselves, which is the whole concept behind Bitcoin but NOT unfortunately the whole concept behind 90% of crypto that requires you to trust them, the company or the issuer. And to be fair, if I couldn't trust myself and my knowledge of bitcoin I'd probably also want someone else to keep my coins for me. Hence why people go to seek out wallets they feel can take care of their funds for them.
Thus being said I hope there will be more ease in learning new about crypto.
It still is a hard concept to understand (and to explain) for most of the people.
If more people would understand what crypto really is - there will be less users of centralized /online hot wallets for sure.
Activity: 798
Merit: 14
April 10, 2020, 10:04:34 AM
Your funds can get locked up for reasons best known to them and there will be nothing you can do about it. This applies to centralized exchanges as well where your funds are stored by the exchange anything can happen to the funds at any point in time.
Activity: 3010
Merit: 629
April 10, 2020, 08:53:41 AM
Using centralized wallet has risk so make sure to understand everything before you create an account and store your hard-earned coins.

Im using xapo before then I switched to blockchain, now im using our local centralized wallet for the purpose of cashing out but I dont store my coins there for long period because its quite risky. They can deactivate your account if they see something unusual that might against to their rules.

Its still best to use a decentralized wallet, its much safer since you hold your private keys and no one can access it.
Activity: 644
Merit: 250
https://primedao.eth.link/#/
April 10, 2020, 08:47:34 AM
Online wallets are even worse. Just use wallets without registrations. I dont now why people like custody solutions so much
Because it's simple and fast. That is why people like to use online wallets. As long as you store your private key carefully, I believe your property will always be safe and no one will be able to steal it from you.
Pages:
Jump to: