Pages:
Author

Topic: Stealthcoin - page 3. (Read 17981 times)

Activity: 20
Merit: 0
April 17, 2011, 04:23:40 PM
I know a lot more Linux than Windows, so I might be wrong.

In Unix, you can change the priority of a process, from -20 (higher priority) to 19 (lower priority). Process with least priority will consume CPU time only when no other process with higher priority need it. The binary for that is nice (to launch at a specific priority) or renice (to change during runtime).
This priority does not impact memory usage and I/O (for that, in Linux there is ionice).

A bitcoin miner is a perfect candidate for this, it does not need large amount of memory and won't be in swap when idling and it does not perform intensive I/O on disk.

For Windows, in "Process Explorer" I can set a lower priority to a running process, such as "Idle" or "Idling" the equivalent of renice -n 19 $unixpid.

Instead of hacking the miner and slow it down, you can run it full speed but with lower priority.
I don't know how to do that in Windows... everything is so complex. Butif no tools in Windows userspace can let you do that, you can write a small app that will launch the bitcoin miner and run a low-level Windows standard library call that will change the miner priority.

When students will logoff their workstation 99.9% of CPU time will be spend on your miner!
Activity: 504
Merit: 252
Elder Crypto God
April 17, 2011, 04:05:57 PM
I have a friend that runs a computer lab of about 200+ computers for training purposes and he doesn't care if I use up his electricity but he had a few objections to letting me generate bitcoins on his computers.

• can't have CPU usage pegged at 100% because users might bug him about it
  • can't be bothered to install anything himself unless it's a single executable he can push to all his computers
  • can't be bothered to check the balances and send bitcoins when generated

With this in mind, I created Stealthcoin. It uses a modified version of the vanilla Bitcoind with an added sleep() call so that CPU usage isn't maxed out while generating. Obviously, it generates slower, about half the speed, but half is better than nothing in my case. I also wanted to gain experience with compiling/developing Bitcoin, as well as using Github, so I can start contributing to the project. If you have barely-computer-literate friends that don't mind letting you use their electricity, this should help you out a bit as well.

https://github.com/bitcoin2cash/Stealthcoin

Stealthcoin is an installation wrapper for a modified Bitcoind CPU miner. The
editor allows you to create an installation binary which can then be executed on
any Windows NT compatible operating system. The editor allows you to specify the
installation path, the name to use for running the Stealthcoin service, the name
to use for running the Bitcoind executable and a bitcoin address to send all
generated bitcoins to. Once the installation binary is executed, it will copy
itself to the specified installation path, extract the Bitcoind binary, as well
as the libeay32.dll binary. It will then execute Bitcoind using the installation
path as the data directory. The Stealthcoin service periodically checks if any
bitcoins have been generated and if so, sends them to the bitcoin address you
specified in the editor.

If this project is useful to you please send donations to 1HXD5xHpz6cxbrqNekzGFTow6gjeuTNR4j in order to encourage me to keep developing this.
Pages:
Jump to: