Pages:
Author

Topic: Steem pyramid scheme revealed - page 55. (Read 107058 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 265
August 07, 2016, 12:02:16 PM
Not good, there is a not spiraling viral effect and with the 85% attrition rate we may just be in the realm of replacement of abandoned accounts:

That is actually not a positive sign. With viral growth, we should observe rate of account signups increasing exponentially. If you consider the 85% abandonment of accounts which I documented, this looks like roughly in the realm of replacement and not significantly growing usership.

Quote from: masteryoda

Total accounts doesn't say anything about abandoned accounts no longer in use, which I documented to be in the realm of 85% abandonment rate.

Also plotting on a non-logarithmic chart makes a constant rate of increase look exponential which is mathematically incorrect. See my other comment on this page for more information.
August 07, 2016, 02:36:36 AM
Very, very soon, the follower feature will be activated and there will be an entirely different way to browse. Some people may be interested in the global pending-payout leaderboard (current default front page), others not.

Dan and Ned mentioned in the @dollarvigilante interview that the follow feeds should be live within a few more days or less.

Sometimes when I load Steemit, I seem to get the "active" board instead of "trending" even though I don't remember selecting "active".

So follow (Facebook friends and follows) + shares (akin to Facebook invites and Likes) and then we basically have a Facebook clone for discovering new (for now blog) content. And Facebook is adding in-app content (blogs, etc).

Thus upvotes should be more widely distributed due to more varied ways that users find content. But quadratic weighting will still apply to rewards, so afaics rewards will remain skewed by a financial incentive for groupthink for as long as quadratic weighting remains; and I explained upthread why I think it is a game theory catastrophe for Steem (within Steem's design for the attributes of STEEM vs. STEEM POWER, which afaics can't be changed in Steem's vested interests) to switch to linear weighting.

The other problem is that Facebook shares become spamming. My gf has even complained about this. It is because following someone for what they write does not mean you desire to follow everything they want to share with you. One example is your friends can spam you with invites for shit they are being paid to invite you to. Alternatively if Steem limits following to only the content of the person we are following (not sharings from them of other content), then follow feeds are not a way to browse new diverse new content so users must employ the existing ways to browse for that:

Curators are not rewarded, but penalized for taking "risks" voting for relatively unknown content creators.

3. Finally found it and added to the text above:

https://steemit.com/steemit/@ntomaino/the-distribution-monetary-rewards-tradeoff-and-a-proposal-to-accelerate-disruption-of-incumbent-social-networks#@anonymint/re-ntomaino-the-distribution-monetary-rewards-tradeoff-and-a-proposal-to-accelerate-disruption-of-incumbent-social-networks-20160805t035246736z

If Steemit.com is still offline, then go here:

https://steemd.com/steemit/@anonymint/re-ntomaino-the-distribution-monetary-rewards-tradeoff-and-a-proposal-to-accelerate-disruption-of-incumbent-social-networks-20160805t035246736z
August 07, 2016, 12:38:14 AM
when I had to reverse engineer what they were doing from the source code

The white paper wasn't available? If you figured out the white paper from the source code, I am impressed.

White paper wasn't available until later.

Impressive. So you mentioned our past (written) conversations might have influenced you to be tuned in to the possible value which might have influenced you to expend that effort to climb down the rabbit hole into the source code. Again that is impressive sleuthing.

I remember reading Dan's blog about how to do (and as compared to an ICO, the potential legality advantages of) a sneaky mine (which was around the time I was just starting to transition my understanding about the legalities of issuing crypto-currencies to my current stance) and I remember you taking note of it publicly on BCT. And I do remember pointing you towards the Larimers last year, and then myself just walking away after a few minutes in their Bitshares forum because I could see the governance for funding model of DPoS was REKTED which Dan now admits (he reiterates this in the recent interview with the @dollarvigilente). And I remember being aware of the plans for Peerplays as I was working on Jambox. But I don't watch ANNs because I am not into mining. And besides I was spread far too thin to be climbing down more rabbit holes than I already am.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
August 06, 2016, 11:24:03 PM
What you see is a function of the front end, and currently there are only 6 ways to browse, none of them without their flaws.

Very, very soon, the follower feature will be activated and there will be an entirely different way to browse. Some people may be interested in the global pending-payout leaderboard (current default front page), others not.

Another example where smooth and are not always like-minded on voting and this is another example that we need to fix the voting algorithm to group like-mindedness (i.e. I should have not seen this blog post so highly ranked as it was irrelevant for me ... although while the voting rewards and ranking algorithm is what it is, then this is relevant for me and causes discord):

I downvoted this “shit” because the playmate was doing what she does best, and which is a fact of our society and the way the mating game works. You are just parasiting on her coattails and adding value only for those who are jealous and/or incapable of accepting facts of life and mating game theory.

I am not arguing that the playmate should have received $16,000 for her blog post, but that is not her fault. It is the fault of the voting rewards and ranking algorithm design of Steem. Note that while the algorithm is what is, then this blog posts appears to me and is relevant in the sense that I need to post to argue that your post is irrelevant to me in an more correctly designed ranking system. But for now, it is relevant (and thus not shit), because the algorithm causes discord and I need to post my objection.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
August 06, 2016, 11:23:20 PM
@Spoetnik. Steemit was not an ICO. The initial distribution was done with a "sneaky" mine. Although the mining phase was announced before it started, it apparently had minimal instructions on how to do it. This meant that the development team mined the vast majority of the coins. There apparently were a few others that managed to figure out how to mine as well. Now most of these coins are in a fund so they can offer people 3 Steem Power for signing up with Steemit. Was the initial distribution the most fair? Not really.  Roll Eyes

Thanks yeah i forgot while i was worked up ranting away LOL

The start of it was not my point here commenting.

And some good topics wee laid out explaining it all with Steem too !
legendary
August 06, 2016, 11:17:03 PM

The white paper wasn't available? If you figured out the white paper from the source code, I am impressed.

White paper wasn't available until later.
legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1828
August 06, 2016, 09:49:05 PM
@Spoetnik. Steemit was not an ICO. The initial distribution was done with a "sneaky" mine. Although the mining phase was announced before it started, it apparently had minimal instructions on how to do it. This meant that the development team mined the vast majority of the coins. There apparently were a few others that managed to figure out how to mine as well. Now most of these coins are in a fund so they can offer people 3 Steem Power for signing up with Steemit. Was the initial distribution the most fair? Not really.  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
August 06, 2016, 09:20:53 PM
Another example where smooth and are not always like-minded on voting and this is another example that we need to fix the voting algorithm to group like-mindedness (i.e. I should have not seen this blog post so highly ranked as it was irrelevant for me):

I downvoted this shit because the playmate was doing what she does best, and which is a fact of our society and the way the mating game works. You are just parasiting on her coattails and adding value only for those who are jealous and/or incapable of accepting facts of life and mating game theory.

I am not arguing that the playmate should have received $16,000 for her blog post, but that is not her fault. It is the fault of the voting rewards algorithm design of Steem.

Tipping the playmate or any poster who is showing skin, is not much different then being in a strip club and tipping a stripper. As is now, if steemit system is letting this stuff get on page one, then steemit is in effect encouraging it. Which make steemit a virtual stripclub, or playboy.

Anyone remember this line, "I only read it for the articles"

The Larimers and their associates are pimps 2.0 pure and simple.  They are making money by promoting (aka upvoting) this trash to entice the weak-minded morons to come see their prostitutes.  All the while they are dumping their Steem Dollars into the market which is propped up by these same weak-minded suckers who are buying in.  Once the Larimers use these "girls" to work over the saps, they'll leave with their real money BTC/USD and the "girls" and suckers will be left with worthless "Steem Dollars" which can't even be cashed out for two years.

I actually agree with you  Shocked

Crazy how we have such mixed views eh boys ? LOL

I see nothing good about Steem.
Although about 2003 / 2004 i made a series of steam cracks & emulators i put online
that was *sometimes* called Steem.. so everything i see on this reminds me off my old cracking work.

You guys recycle shit like crazy..
Like XPM was my tag i put on uploaded pirated content because of my name XPMULE
a decade+ before this coin shit.

Tacking some scheme that is rigged onto an ICO then yammering on about Block-Chains is legit ?
ya uhhh sure.. trade them on Poloniex guys ..let me know how that works out for ya Wink

I have an idea for an ass-scratching coin.. will be doing my 5 million dollar ICO soon
Pay me assholes !
..hey sometimes your butt gets itchy
SO.. better ICO it before someone else beats me to it !
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042
White Male Libertarian Bro
August 06, 2016, 07:50:40 PM
Another example where smooth and are not always like-minded on voting and this is another example that we need to fix the voting algorithm to group like-mindedness (i.e. I should have not seen this blog post so highly ranked as it was irrelevant for me):

I downvoted this shit because the playmate was doing what she does best, and which is a fact of our society and the way the mating game works. You are just parasiting on her coattails and adding value only for those who are jealous and/or incapable of accepting facts of life and mating game theory.

I am not arguing that the playmate should have received $16,000 for her blog post, but that is not her fault. It is the fault of the voting rewards algorithm design of Steem.

Tipping the playmate or any poster who is showing skin, is not much different then being in a strip club and tipping a stripper. As is now, if steemit system is letting this stuff get on page one, then steemit is in effect encouraging it. Which make steemit a virtual stripclub, or playboy.

The Larimers and their associates are pimps 2.0 pure and simple.  They are making money by promoting (aka upvoting) this trash to entice the weak-minded morons to come see their prostitutes.  All the while they are dumping their Steem Dollars into the market which is propped up by these same weak-minded suckers who are buying in.  Once the Larimers use these "girls" to work over the saps, they'll leave with their real money BTC/USD and the "girls" and suckers will be left with worthless "Steem Dollars" which can't even be cashed out for two years.
August 06, 2016, 04:28:08 PM

August 06, 2016, 04:26:27 PM
Afaics, Steem has no designed solution yet for plagiarism:

The solution is curation.

The question is: Can curation scale?

Probably not against Whac-A-Mole.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
August 06, 2016, 04:18:34 PM

The solution is curation.

The question is: Can curation scale?

In the stand-alone form, I think not.

It'll take:

-automation (some bots automating some processes)
-delegation (like what smooth does with hired curators - or other forms of partnerships between whales and smaller accounts that help curate)
-decentralization (more dolphins and whales to handle increased content)
August 06, 2016, 03:49:34 PM

Here a key weakness of Steem's voting and relevance algorithm:

https://youtu.be/rkQ7b-u8_6g?t=698

And unfortunately Dan's expectation is not what is always happening as exemplified in my case.

I think this problem can only be improved when account identities can't be Sybil attacked (i.e. are verified identities and the same person isn't allowed to create multiple disposable identities) and then when rankings and rewards more accurately reflect readership demand to squelch those accounts with bad reputations. To that end, I am currently contemplating that the rankings and reputation system needs to more resemble a WoT (Web of Trust).
August 06, 2016, 12:16:52 PM
Which make steemit a virtual stripclub...

See the edit of my prior post.

If the rewards and ranking algorithm was not quadratic then no one would be getting $16,000 unless they have 1000s of votes. And thus not everyone would be seeing that playmate blog at the top of the rankings. Thus the perception of Steemit as any one content focus would not be occurring.

Edit: but without the quadratic voting rewards, it is arguable that Steem would lose some (most?) of the hype and promotion. This is one of the reasons why I incorporated another reward into my design.
Activity: 332
Merit: 250
August 06, 2016, 12:13:41 PM

August 06, 2016, 12:04:15 PM
Another example where smooth and are not always like-minded on voting and this is another example that we need to fix the voting algorithm to group like-mindedness (i.e. I should have not seen this blog post so highly ranked as it was irrelevant for me ... although while the voting rewards and ranking algorithm is what it is, then this is relevant for me and causes discord):

I downvoted this “shit” because the playmate was doing what she does best, and which is a fact of our society and the way the mating game works. You are just parasiting on her coattails and adding value only for those who are jealous and/or incapable of accepting facts of life and mating game theory.

I am not arguing that the playmate should have received $16,000 for her blog post, but that is not her fault. It is the fault of the voting rewards and ranking algorithm design of Steem. Note that while the algorithm is what is, then this blog posts appears to me and is relevant in the sense that I need to post to argue that your post is irrelevant to me in an more correctly designed ranking system. But for now, it is relevant (and thus not shit), because the algorithm causes discord and I need to post my objection.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
August 06, 2016, 07:06:46 AM

...subtle, but malicious not

Has anyone notified Mark Lyford about this new revolution in smut 2.0 technology?  He's gonna be mighty upset if the Larimers didn't invite him to Steem like they did to Bitsnares.

Maybe the internet will call demanding a piece of the action too, "Move into my corner and paying girls straight up for their content--that ain't right! There's rules to this game, hustler--first you start a site, gather up your girls, and then force them to pay to play--that's how it's done, none of this zero marginal cost Bull Shit!"

Oh, I'm pretty sure the Larimers and their associates are getting their cut.

https://steemit.com/poetry/@generalizethis/carvaggio-s-last-plea
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
August 06, 2016, 02:17:08 AM
Has anyone notified Mark Lyford about this new revolution in smut 2.0 technology?  He's gonna be mighty upset if the Larimers didn't invite him to Steem like they did to Bitsnares.

Maybe the internet will call demanding a piece of the action too, "Move into my corner and paying girls straight up for their content--that ain't right! There's rules to this game, hustler--first you start a site, gather up your girls, and then force them to pay to play--that's how it's done, none of this zero marginal cost Bull Shit!"
legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042
White Male Libertarian Bro
August 06, 2016, 01:39:41 AM
Has anyone notified Mark Lyford about this new revolution in smut 2.0 technology?  He's gonna be mighty upset if the Larimers didn't invite him to Steem like they did to Bitsnares.
legendary
August 05, 2016, 07:09:17 PM
Well at least nobody can say that steemit isn't pushing crypto to mainstream adoption. "Bimbos" and playmates are now using cryptocurrency.... Cool

I am very excited about Steem conceptually because it validates the concepts for marketing I was thinking about for Jambox. (That is not to say I am convinced that Steem's exact design can cross the chasm to millions of users)

Agree.

When I first saw Steem (pre-announcement during the mining phase when I had to reverse engineer what they were doing from the source code), I thought of your posts and our discussions about the merging of social media and crypto. I don't know if those posts had any influence on the Steem developers or if this is just a case of what r0ach calls convergent evolution. Either way you are directly responsible in part for my early interest in Steem and I consider you to be one of the conceptual godfathers of the approach even if someone else went ahead and developed it first.
Pages:
Jump to: