Pages:
Author

Topic: Stolen Coins Right After Getting Vanity Address - page 3. (Read 5109 times)

Activity: 7
Merit: 0
The sad story....  I generated vanity addresses* (online) for two wallets to easily keep them separate.  Moved them into MultiBit and locked the wallets with a 14 character LastPass generated password. 

I did NOT break from the internet when I combined the vanity secret keys.

The next morning MultiBit showed a transfer out of 5 coins to an unrecognized address, the transfer took place two hours after I left the computer. 

I have all of the normal security, e.g. behind a router, Norton firewall and virus protection.  I did have both Flash and Java on the machine.  They are gone now!

I believe two factor would have been my only protection.  Are there any offline wallets with two factor?  I am installing Armory now.

Until someone writes an easily useable, safe, wallet Bitcoin is going to be held back.  I thought I was being more conservative moving my coins out of Coinbase.  Guess not since they use two factor.

I would love to know how it was done.  There should be a centeralized reporting place to see if there are similar problems with specific websites.

*https://bitcoinvanity.appspot.com/  < the site I used.  I am NOT accusing them!
Pages:
Jump to: