Pages:
Author

Topic: Stop fans from going 100% at startup (Braiins OS+) - page 2. (Read 408 times)

legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U

Thanks for the Tip! What do you meant, that the move is risky? My S9 is configured that it can run at 1% fan speed at all time, so there should not be an issue?

The risk comes when the room temperature or air circulation changes for whatever reason and the miner gets to the point where it needs the fans to be spin at say 5krpm but then the "untested" fans can't perform which will cause the miner to overheat.

If you control all those variables and you are pretty sure the miner won't need high fan RPM then that is a different story and the risk does not apply much.
Activity: 938
Merit: 642
Magic
keep in mind that move is a bit risky and I would advise against it.

Thanks for the Tip! What do you meant, that the move is risky? My S9 is configured that it can run at 1% fan speed at all time, so there should not be an issue?
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 6279
be constructive or S.T.F.U
If the units doesn't have abnormal temp rise the fan shouldn't  run at high speed unless if its set to auto with low target temp.
You can switch it from auto mode to manual mode if you want to run the fan at fixed speed.

I think you missed the keyword here which is "startup",  the fans will spin at 100% when the miner boots/startup, the firmware does that to check if the fans meet the required RPMs or not, it's standard on all firmware version both stock and custom, Vnish has an option called "Quiet fan mode at startup" which would bypass the full fan spin and starts at the required or specified static speed, I don't think Braiins has that (I don't remember seeing it at least on the GUI) but maybe they have some command for that, keep in mind that move is a bit risky and I would advise against it.
legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 2904
Block halving is coming.
If the units doesn't have abnormal temp rise the fan shouldn't  run at high speed unless if its set to auto with low target temp.
You can switch it from auto mode to manual mode if you want to run the fan at fixed speed.

Read more about fan control here below
- https://docs.braiins.com/os/open-source-en/Configuration/index_configuration.html#temperature-and-fan-control
Activity: 2478
Merit: 621
Probably better to ask in the dedicated software thread here:-

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/braiins-os-support-thread-5412808
Activity: 938
Merit: 642
Magic
Is there a way to stop the fans (Antminer S9) from going to 100% at startup. I use Braiins OS+ and have the noise level very low because I use only 600W. Since I need to restart the miner quite a few times depending on availability of power, this would be very helpful.
Pages:
Jump to: