Pages:
Author

Topic: Stopped by Meze Grill today... - page 2. (Read 5093 times)

legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473
LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper
November 25, 2012, 06:45:51 AM
I'm sure it'd be pretty painless for them if they used bitpay... Maybe it's time to make them reconsider?

Good idea. Let's force merchants to use bitpay. LOL what a dumbass thought.
Activity: 430
Merit: 250
November 25, 2012, 05:09:07 AM
I'm sure it'd be pretty painless for them if they used bitpay... Maybe it's time to make them reconsider?

Looks like they'd rather just take money.  If that gets stolen, it is insured and they can actually get it back.
That's exactly why I suggested they use bitpay. As far as I know, bitpay exchanges btc to usd on the fly, and deposits the money to a bank account once per day (or maybe it's once per week?)...
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
November 25, 2012, 03:02:56 AM
Not to mention losing all of your dollars is obviously a LOL reason to stop accepting dollars. In fact, if someone gave that reason you would know there was a lot more to it than they admit or that it was just false.

This is such a fucking autistic thing to say.
Activity: 702
Merit: 503
November 25, 2012, 02:26:49 AM
...a little bit of Bitcoin nostalgia for those who are not familiar with those days and the Meze Grill story   Sad
November 25, 2012, 02:14:40 AM
Yes, but losing all your BTC is not a LOL reason to stop accepting BTC.
+1 It was a sensible thing for Meze to do, especially because back then there were no other payment processors, even as lame as MyBitcoin was...
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003
November 25, 2012, 01:54:34 AM
Not to mention losing all of your dollars is obviously a LOL reason to stop accepting dollars.

Yes, but losing all your BTC is not a LOL reason to stop accepting BTC.
November 25, 2012, 01:34:56 AM
Maybe that's what Bruce said, but mybitcoin did return 49 or 51%.
That's not true. I didn't get any of the few i had there back from MyBitcoin, and know another person who didn't, and you can find a bunch here who didn't...

MyBitcoin was a total scam, and did more damage to Bitcoin than anything else i've seen.

The worst part is that people like Bruce in "the Bitcoin community" - who publicly recommended MyBitcoin, and supposedly lost a lot of B there - did not even bother to put up a bounty for the identity and whereabouts of "Tom Williams" of MyBitcoin. (No one disappears without a trace, if there is incentive to look for him...) And since then, there have been several other big rip-offs, as you know...

So, i am not surprized that Meze Grill got out of Bitcoin after taking a risk, trailblazing, getting burned, and not having any recourse at all to even see the prospect of anyone being caught not to mention punished for their loss. They have a business to run, which works fine without Bitcoin...  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
November 25, 2012, 01:06:23 AM
Not to mention losing all of your dollars is obviously a LOL reason to stop accepting dollars. In fact, if someone gave that reason you would know there was a lot more to it than they admit or that it was just false.

Dollars are also accepted everywhere, and if they are hacked from your bank account, they are insured and will be returned.  Nothing in Bitcoin offers that.

They don't take dollars (usually), they take credit cards. If those are hacked, they are not returned, either (chargebacks, hacked credit accounts, etc). Only checking and savings accounts are insured, but it takes a bit for the money to actually get there.

But, yeah, whatever, "it's just fake money" and all that. Just as fake as the digital 0s and 1s that made up the first credit card accounts. It was just some piece of plastic with numbers on it representing some fake "digital" monopoly crap that wasn't even insured, not the real, actual printed paper money that everyone knew was real because you can touch it. No one accepted credit cards for those reasons, either, and then credit cards failed spectacularly!
Activity: 125
November 25, 2012, 12:33:58 AM

Dollars are also accepted everywhere, and if they are hacked from your bank account, they are insured and will be returned.  Nothing in Bitcoin offers that.
November 25, 2012, 12:32:55 AM

Looks like they'd rather just take money.  If that gets stolen, it is insured and they can actually get it back.
November 25, 2012, 12:30:16 AM
"It didn't work out" Sad Anyone have any idea why?

Probably that time all their bitcoins just up and vanished and they had absolutely no recourse to get any more than 49% of them back.

Turns out, that isn't what people are looking for in a currency.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 24, 2012, 11:56:08 PM
Still listed in https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Real_world_shops
and https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Business_and_organizations_that_%22also_accept_Bitcoin%22,_but_do_not_revolve_around_Bitcoin

I feel bad removing them, but will do so. If you disagree, please voice your concern!

I wonder what percent of listed businesses actually do not accept BTC anymore...

Consider uses the almighty circumstance symbol.

Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
November 24, 2012, 11:01:22 PM
Still listed in https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Real_world_shops
and https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Business_and_organizations_that_%22also_accept_Bitcoin%22,_but_do_not_revolve_around_Bitcoin

I feel bad removing them, but will do so. If you disagree, please voice your concern!

I wonder what percent of listed businesses actually do not accept BTC anymore...
legendary
Activity: 1002
Merit: 1000
Bitcoin
November 24, 2012, 10:37:01 PM
Im very disapointed to read that stuff about Meze Grill..  Cry  Kinda sad when a business opt out !
legendary
November 24, 2012, 08:17:14 PM
To this day, I believe Bruce purposely left that page on the screen for the NPR guys to see, knowing that would make a great cover for him. Remember, Bruce was the only person to get all his coins back, presumably 25,000 BTC.
First I've heard that Bruce got all his coins back. Do you have a source?

Not at the top of my head, but I think I recall him stating such on a subsequent show.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1002
November 24, 2012, 07:50:08 PM
To this day, I believe Bruce purposely left that page on the screen for the NPR guys to see, knowing that would make a great cover for him. Remember, Bruce was the only person to get all his coins back, presumably 25,000 BTC.
First I've heard that Bruce got all his coins back. Do you have a source?
legendary
November 24, 2012, 07:48:26 PM
I asked about this in an IRC chat a while back and was told they lost every bitcoin they had when a bitcoin payment service of some kind disappeared.

When Jacob with NPR was at Bruce's office the day the MBC hack occurred, the computer was supposedly logged into some other person's account (not Bruce's, according to him). Bruce had to log out and start afresh to do a transfer with Jacob so that he would have coins to go and dine at Meze's Grill.

To this day, I believe Bruce purposely left that page on the screen for the NPR guys to see, knowing that would make a great cover for him. Remember, Bruce was the only person to get all his coins back, presumably 25,000 BTC. I can only imagine the thing Ed had to do to stop Bruce from crying on his show that one day.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008
If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat
November 24, 2012, 07:27:49 PM
+1 what FreeMoney said.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
November 24, 2012, 07:24:16 PM
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1016
Strength in numbers
November 24, 2012, 07:22:13 PM
I asked about this in an IRC chat a while back and was told they lost every bitcoin they had when a bitcoin payment service of some kind disappeared.

Pages:
Jump to: