Pages:
Author

Topic: storing wallet backup in the cloud? - page 3. (Read 6825 times)

Activity: 676
Merit: 500
March 29, 2015, 05:12:06 AM
Nice idea if diversifying storage places.
legendary
Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014
March 29, 2015, 04:09:47 AM

Yeah, I use this method. I first PGP encrypt the wallet backup, then zip it, and finally attach it to a message on Gmail or some other mail service. Pretty convenient.

Even with a password protected wallet I would never leave it on the cloud without secondary encryption because someone could still see your transactions and addresses.

To restore the backup for bitcoin core, shut down the client and replace the current wallet.dat with your backup copy. Then restart the client.
Agree, it must be encrypted by you, before you put it in cloud
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1055
March 29, 2015, 04:09:13 AM
The wallet.dat of bitcoin core is already encrypted with a strong algorithm.
If you use a decent password you are safe to put your wallet.dat on a cloud service like dropbox.
A decent password should be 15 characters or longer, containing uppercase, lowercase, digits and special characters. Don't use anything written in a book or which can be found in an internet resource. Even if you change a few characters in such phrase, it will not be safe enough.
donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012
March 29, 2015, 04:01:23 AM
what do you think of storing your wallet backup in the cloud? like a storage service. like google drive / drop box / iCloud drive / etc...?

of course there is the USB stick and paper option too...

also how do you load a backup into bitcoin-qt?

Yeah, I use this method. I first PGP encrypt the wallet backup, then zip it, and finally attach it to a message on Gmail or some other mail service. Pretty convenient.

Even with a password protected wallet I would never leave it on the cloud without secondary encryption because someone could still see your transactions and addresses.

To restore the backup for bitcoin core, shut down the client and replace the current wallet.dat with your backup copy. Then restart the client.
legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001
March 29, 2015, 03:41:13 AM
what do you think of storing your wallet backup in the cloud? like a storage service. like google drive / drop box / iCloud drive / etc...?

of course there is the USB stick and paper option too...

also how do you load a backup into bitcoin-qt?
Pages:
Jump to: