Pages:
Author

Topic: Storj (SJCK) vs. Siacoin (SC) - Discussion - page 3. (Read 17159 times)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0
I totally agree, siacoin is a great company and is my favorite
Activity: 14
Siacoin, they have a workin product.
Activity: 29
Is there anywhere to see usage stats for both?
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034
They are both shit. Siacoin devs want to hardfork to add some billions of coins into their own wallets.

That info is wrong.
This was a post from a dev who was thinking out loud of how the team could raise funds. This was never an official statement nor a team expression.
The Sia Devs are very open in communication, in this case maybe a bit too less sensitive.

Three days ago they got a grant and announced in Slack:
“Nebulous has received a generous grant from INBlockchain, to be used for the development of Sia. Li Xiaolai quotes: "don't worry about money, just have things well done".As a part of this grant, we are committing to not forking the blockchain to fund development, now or in the future."
 http://sia.tech/2017grant/

The fact that devs even considered hardforking cash into their own wallets is a very huge red flag. I don't see how many members of the community were blindly supporting this because "The devs know best!" I can't get behind that kind of mindless support.
Activity: 74
Merit: 13
Be nice
Thank you guys for your replies and opinions!

I think that the success or not of the coins has to do with the "usability" and how easy and effective it is to setup and use so I would still love to hear from someone that actually uses these services on a daily basis.
Activity: 6
They are both shit. Siacoin devs want to hardfork to add some billions of coins into their own wallets.

That info is wrong.
This was a post from a dev who was thinking out loud of how the team could raise funds. This was never an official statement nor a team expression.
The Sia Devs are very open in communication, in this case maybe a bit too less sensitive.

Three days ago they got a grant and announced in Slack:
“Nebulous has received a generous grant from INBlockchain, to be used for the development of Sia. Li Xiaolai quotes: "don't worry about money, just have things well done".As a part of this grant, we are committing to not forking the blockchain to fund development, now or in the future."
 http://sia.tech/2017grant/

Activity: 13
Did a lot on research on Sia, StorJ and Maidsafe - Sia is my favourite by far.

• Great, transparent team with good roadmap (Seriously, there is no other project-lead with such great community interaction)
  • Nameworthy investors backing the project (Li Xiaolai just gave them a 400k grant to expand their team https://sia.tech/2017grant/)
  • Mineable, no ICO
  • Upcoming ASICs to strengthen network
  • Rising development on top of the Sia network (eg. MineBox with HP cooperation)

In my opinion definitely a Top 10 coin in 2018 - I can only recommend to check out their reddit /r/siacoin.
Activity: 364
Merit: 100

Thank you for sharing this! I have been thinking to invest SIA or Storj, but now I need to investigate more.
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1034
They are both shit. Siacoin devs want to hardfork to add some billions of coins into their own wallets. Storj is an ICO from the devs that brought other useless ICOs. Besides, Factom is already up and running and has been getting the job done for quite some time now. Who even needs/actually uses these?
Be nice
Ok but in my humble opinion getting attacked by someone else using same service sounds as far fetched as a utorrent user ddosing another utorrent user to get more ratio on the private tracker he is on. Its possible to do but not really worth the trouble.

Regarding not knowing what you have on your drive, isnt there some kind of TOS in place that frees you from responsibility? The data should be encrypted in a way that it would not be possible for you to check what is on the drive so you cant be responsible for not removing it. I imagine these are the same issues dropbox and googledrive and the others have, and I doubt they would get into trouble for what the users put in their folders. But I might be wrong who knows.
Activity: 250
Merit: 100
Crypto Developer
Sorry for bumping but I am also interested. It looks like both have made improvements over the last months.

I would love to hear more reviews and experiences of offering hosting using these two services. Are there enough clients to rent the space you offer or will you have to wait for a long time before you get any earnings? How much can you earn in a month?

I think what holds back people on storage projects like these , is that you have no idea what kind
of data gets stored on your physical devices, it could get you into trouble or at the very least make you
into a target for denial of service type attacks. ( ex. a competitor taking you out so he wins more contracts in the same geo region ? )

Be nice
Sorry for bumping but I am also interested. It looks like both have made improvements over the last months.

I would love to hear more reviews and experiences of offering hosting using these two services. Are there enough clients to rent the space you offer or will you have to wait for a long time before you get any earnings? How much can you earn in a month?

Activity: 378
Sia works today. It is battle tested and is constantly improving. It is more a grassroots crypto like Bitcoin.

Is Storj even launched in mainnet?

For a moment I thought you had time-traveled. Just because Storj does not advertise that much does not mean that it is not launched yet. What do you even mean by mainnet, storj tokens are used as payment, not the main service itself. It has been in general availability for months and there are already people using it as a S3 storage replacement. There is even a free small limited plan for the first year with 25GB storage and bandwidth

Launched in mainnet means one can use decentralized storage, the main purpose of these two coins. This has been true in Sia since summer 2015.

If you can do that in Storj, great. Sia has an edge being there one year before Storj and having done more improvements and fixes.

They also have different approaches to decentralized storage which was explained in an article dated from one year ago for that I don't have a link right now.
Activity: 1036
Merit: 504
Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(
Sia works today. It is battle tested and is constantly improving. It is more a grassroots crypto like Bitcoin.

For a moment I thought you had time-traveled. Just because Storj does not advertise that much does not mean that it is not launched yet. What do you even mean by mainnet, storj tokens are used as payment, not the main service itself. It has been in general availability for months and there are already people using it as a S3 storage replacement. There is even a free small limited plan for the first year with 25GB storage and bandwidth
Activity: 378

Activity: 1050
Merit: 295
Got burnt speculating on sia... at least with maidsafe I was able to recoup
Activity: 308
MR. STORJ ANSWERING (?) NEW TOKEN QUESTION......

https://youtu.be/R_w1jWAmlPM?t=12m37s
Activity: 1036
Merit: 504
Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(
storj and sia coin is same good coin,
siacoin shortage total suply is very big, until reach 24 billion coin , so very dificult can get incraese very high price
storj  shortage use counterparty asset, many people not like counterparty asset because fee sending is high and long time confirmation transaction

SJCX is going to migrate over to eth tokens, new gui for renters is also coming out soon!
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1026
In Cryptocoins I Trust
I have been a longtime supporter of data storage tokens, such as MAID, SJCX, and SC. I think they are a great idea, and can reduce storage prices compared to centralized competitors that need to pay for data center space (which is very expensive). However, at the present time I am not really impressed with the state of these coins.

1. MAID seems to be in a perpetual vaporware state. Who knows if it will ever come to fruition...

2. SJCX and SC are both operational, but there is little to no demand for the services. I recently (the past couple day) looked into a few ways to profitably utilize my extra hard drive space. The amount of demand for SJCX and SC storage space left me quite uninterested in these projects. Maybe demand will pick up and slowly grow over time, but I think it may be years (closer to 5 to 10 years) before they gain traction- if they do at all. So, I have taken them out of my portfolio, as I think they will stay at or under their current valuations for some time. The demand just isn't there for these services.

I decided to mine Burst with my extra HD rather than fool with Storj or Siacoin. I am only expecting to make something like $3.50 a month (the HD is just under 2 TB), but it is free money and I might as well do it because it doesn't use much power and I don't need as much storage space as I have.
Pages:
Jump to: