Pages:
Author

Topic: Strange happening cutting and pasteing a bitcoin address. - page 2. (Read 468 times)

copper member
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899
Amazon Prime Member #7
My guess is you are infected with malware. You should stop using the computer/device that you are encountering this issue on immediately. You should especially not enter any passwords, or unlock any encryption keys, as they may become compromised.

This is assuming you have never interacted with the ...xax address in the past. If for whatever reason, you were previously interacting with this address and intentionally had the address in your clipboard, this could be an issue with your keyboard, or with your computer's ability to recognize a "copy" command.

Haven't sent any coin in months.  First time. Oh well, I'll be busy for the next couple days. Bah Humbug
Follow ranochigo's advice. Stop using whatever device you encountered this issue on immediately. If you can, use an entirely new device and start fresh. Otherwise, use a second device to reformat your hard drive. You should not trust any output that the affected device displays.
legendary
Activity: 1919
Merit: 1230
AKA Ms-overzealous-condecsending-explitive-account
My guess is you are infected with malware. You should stop using the computer/device that you are encountering this issue on immediately. You should especially not enter any passwords, or unlock any encryption keys, as they may become compromised.

This is assuming you have never interacted with the ...xax address in the past. If for whatever reason, you were previously interacting with this address and intentionally had the address in your clipboard, this could be an issue with your keyboard, or with your computer's ability to recognize a "copy" command.

Haven't sent any coin in months.  First time. Oh well, I'll be busy for the next couple days. Bah Humbug
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
I've run malwarebytes and norton and it always was clean.  I have multiple backups.  Is there any way to determine when it happened?
I don't trust antiviruses for that reason. They only flag malwares based on the corresponding signatures and/or the program's behaviors when in runtime. It is not difficult to evade the detection using ciphers or disabling the behavior when inside the sandbox or antivirus scans, etc.

It'll be pretty difficult to determine when you were infected, especially if the malware was well made. Have you ran any unknown programs recently?
What do you mean by "reset my accounts?"  
Change your password. Some malwares have a keyloggers together with it. I'll assume the entire computer and whatever information that you've ever typed in the computer to be compromised.
copper member
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899
Amazon Prime Member #7

legendary
Clipboard malware. It'll replace any addresses that you see with an address that is visually similar in terms of the firstbits. Format your PC and reset your accounts and you'll be fine.
 No shit.  WOW!  I've run malwarebytes and norton and it always was clean.  I have multiple backups.  Is there any way to determine when it happened?  What do you mean by "reset my accounts?"  40yrs using a PC and probably the first time that's happened to me. 
legendary
Activity: 2954
Merit: 4158
Clipboard malware. It'll replace any addresses that you copy to the clipboard with one that is visually similar in terms of the firstbits. Format your PC (re-install your OS) and reset your accounts and you'll be fine.
legendary
Wonder if anyone can explain this mystery.

I  sent the following BTC address around $40 and like 90% of the time I copied and pasted it it came up totally different ending in xax below.  I ended up sending to the wrong address (ending in xax).

Trying to paste and THIS IS THE WRONG ADDRESS that keeps coming up.  Trying to copy and paste the CORRECT address and I cannot until the 6th try!!!
1DBHGf7sYMxN1qDa7WwZ5yKng8qJWngxax

1DBHJEnuh5bQfyWXAJD2T1166AJzViXq2R  <----------------------  OK AFTER 5 ATTEMPTS HERE IS THE ACTUAL CORRECT ADDRESS I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO COPY that was sent to me that ended up what you see above.

1DBHGf7sYMxN1qDa7WwZ5yKng8qJWngxax  here we go again. I paste it and it comes up different but always the same as the first 5 tries. So bottom line I ended up sending to the wrong address.

This is the hash from the transaction that went to the above incorrect address:

32928cf78fe78f98a0674e08f69538bdac5146ce557489db8dfdcd4b9bc866fa

I even made a screen video of it happening to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.
Pages:
Jump to: