Pages:
Author

Topic: Stuck transaction - page 2. (Read 381 times)

Activity: 1050
Merit: 681
February 11, 2023, 10:40:23 PM
I have a feeling 1sat /vb might be a thing of the past. Correct me if Im wrong.
Its not true. This is one of the segwit transactions[1] made by me just a few days ago and I paid 1.02 sat/vB as miner fee. It got confirmed the same day I sent it (infact within few hrs). It just depends on how congested the mempool is.
[1] https://mempool.space/tx/950db15c4e58449152f95c21706b111bc8c0e2ee0697a6e1afa5330f8f1de2d5

I just don't want to have the transaction somehow disappear or be in limbo indefinitely 
Use a good self-custodial wallet to make future transactions which gives you a calculated fee by itself and you can choose the lowest one if your tx is not of high priority and you dont want it to get dropped from mempool as well.
Activity: 44
Merit: 22
February 11, 2023, 10:12:45 PM

I set the fee for 1 sat /vb when receiving the transaction.
For next time: 1.1 sat/vbyte puts you ahead of the many low fee transactions.

Thanks everyone I appreciate the help!

I really like Loyce's advice above @ 1.1 sat/vb.

Which leads me to another question
How do each of you choose fees if you're not in a rush?

I have a feeling 1sat /vb might be a thing of the past. Correct me if Im wrong.

I just don't want to have the transaction somehow disappear or be in limbo indefinitely  Tongue

Thanks again EVERYONE! I'm learning alot  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 18509
February 11, 2023, 10:17:22 AM
Your options are either RBF if it's flagged to be replaceable or CPFP the change if it has any.
This doesn't help OP, but Luxor are consistently mining transactions which are replacing non-opted-in transactions, i.e. they are running full RBF. If you can get your replacement transaction to them, then you will be able to use RBF even if your original is not opted in. They are only mining around 1 block a day at present, however.

It's very unlikely that OP's transaction will be removed from the mempool earlier than 14 days.
The mempool usage of my node running default mempool settings is currently around 260 MB. That's very close to the limit of 300 MB at which point low fee transactions start being evicted. It seems other nodes also hit this limit yesterday, and would have started evicting transactions: https://statoshi.info/d/000000020/memory-pool?viewPanel=1&orgId=1&from=now-7d&to=now (note that 286 MiB is equivalent to 300 MB).
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
February 11, 2023, 08:12:44 AM
In a nutshell is Child pays for parent basically resending that unconfirmed transaction to myself again with higher fees?
Correct. If the original transaction has 1 input and 2 outputs, you don't even have to pay a lot in fee. Just 1000 sat or even less will probably be enough to reach the next block. You only have to get ahead of the bulk of transactions with 1 sat/byte and some that pay 2 sat/vbyte.

For next time: 1.1 sat/vbyte puts you ahead of the many low fee transactions.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
February 11, 2023, 01:29:54 AM
Its a long time ago, but I had such issue with my mycelium wallet and the transaction got returned a lot earlier.
As mentioned by nc50lc, the default time is 14 days.
If your transaction was removed from the mempool earlier, that was probably because the network was so congested and the nodes removed your transaction from their mempool due to reaching the maximum size of the mempool.
It's very unlikely that OP's transaction will be removed from the mempool earlier than 14 days.
February 11, 2023, 12:40:31 AM
Bitcoin Core's default is 14days (336hours), but not all nodes enforce the same settings so it may stay longer than that.
Its a long time ago, but I had such issue with my mycelium wallet and the transaction got returned a lot earlier.

In a nutshell is Child pays for parent basically resending that unconfirmed transaction to myself again with higher fees?
Yes, you will basically use the same output of the unconfirmed tx and send it to your own another address which you control.
February 11, 2023, 12:18:53 AM
it was a p2p trade on a decentralized bitcoin exchange.

I'll try the electrum /hardware wallet setup again but im not good with linux yet Embarrassed

I hope its not only 4-5 days. Sad  Im already on day 3.

Mod note: consecutive posts merged
legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
February 11, 2023, 12:11:54 AM
Thanks! How bad of an idea is it to wait a week or two while I slowly learn cpfp?
I'd bet that it won't take a week for it to confirm, but it's hard to predict the mempools.

If you plan to use Electrum, it'll be straightforward.
After creating a wallet connected to your ledger with the correct account,
the unconfirmed transaction should be displayed in the history after a few seconds (minutes if it's first time install)
By right-clicking the transaction, there should be a "Child pays for parent" option among the menu.

Thanks! How bad of an idea is it to wait a week or two while I slowly learn cpfp?
I think the transaction will be forgotten and returned back to the sender within 4-5 days if nothing is done Smiley
Bitcoin Core's default is 14days (336hours), but not all nodes enforce the same settings so it may stay longer than that.
February 11, 2023, 12:09:01 AM
I set it to 1sat    Tongue
 I tried viabtc accelerator earlier but it said my fee was too low.
Ah, I see.

I dont think I can go the RBF route because I'm the receiver.
Who is the sender here who set such low fee ?

I'm using a ledger wallet so I think there's a way to cpfp through electrum.
I dont totally understand cpfp but im reading a lot.
Its not that difficult. To create a CPFP transaction right click on the unconfirmed transaction on the history tab and choose “Child pays for parent”. Set an appropriate fee and click on “OK”. A window will popup with the unsigned transaction. Click on “Sign” and then “Broadcast”.
More here: https://bitcoinelectrum.com/how-to-do-a-manual-child-pays-for-parent-transaction/

I think the transaction will be forgotten and returned back to the sender within 4-5 days if nothing is done Smiley
February 10, 2023, 11:53:18 PM
Thanks I should have been more clear.

I dont think I can go the RBF route because I'm the receiver.

I'm using a ledger wallet so I think there's a way to cpfp through electrum.
I dont totally understand cpfp but im reading a lot.

legendary
Activity: 2394
Merit: 5531
Self-proclaimed Genius
February 10, 2023, 11:44:19 PM
Viabtc's free accelerator service only accepts 10sat/B transactions or higher.
On a side note: it's not "sat/vB" so if a txn is SegWit, the minimum fee rate may be higher if converted to sat/B.

Your options are either RBF if it's flagged to be replaceable or CPFP the change if it has any. Both incur additional fee but works differently.
The problem is if your wallet supports those options and/or can work out a workaround to manually create such transaction.
So which wallet was it sent from?
February 10, 2023, 11:25:08 PM
I set it to 1sat    Tongue
February 10, 2023, 10:57:27 PM
How much fee (in sat/vB) did you give for the transaction ?
You can paste the transaction id here so someone can help you accelerate it, or you can accelerate it yourself for free through viabtc accelerator[1]. But you have to be fast since it gives you a chance to accelerate only once in an hour(UTC time) imo. Only 100 free transactions are accelerated by them in one hour. But if you are successfull in submitting, your tx will get confirmed by viabtc 100%.

[1] https://www.viabtc.com/tools/txaccelerator
February 10, 2023, 10:45:15 PM
Hi everyone I miscalculated my fees on receiving a transaction. I set them too low for how busy the mempool is.

Are my only options at this point is to use cpfp or wait til the mempool gets less busy?
I tried using sparrow wallet to cpfp but I had no luck connecting my hardware wallet's unconfirmed transaction.
Thanks in advance!
Pages:
Jump to: