Pages:
Author

Topic: Study: Most Americans suffer from ‘Digital Amnesia’ - page 4. (Read 4920 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
Do you believe your smart phone makes you smarter?
I did not state this, nor do I think this. Smartphones do not make people smarter, they're supposed to make our lives easier. However, we might be going off topic at this point.

To shorten it, I guess it just simplifies our lives (it has its disadvantages, I know) and enables us to do a lot of things. Instead of bringing a huge map of everything, a camera, a notebook and such, we just have to bring our smartphone and a spare battery.

Damn, technologies has developed rapidly and I have no idea about that. I guess thats why people nowadays can't be split up with their "smartphone" everywhere and everytime. I'm using my phone just to calling, texting, chatting, browsing, and gaming  Roll Eyes
The majority (at least from what I've seen so far) uses it mainly for Facebook, Instagram, taking selfies like non stop. Not being able to be offline for a while, is a signal that something isn't right with a person. Is it not?

People are becoming more and more afraid of silence or to hear themselves think. Hence the digital amnesia.

The outer limits - Stream Of Consciousness (S03E05)

legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
I did not state this, nor do I think this. Smartphones do not make people smarter, they're supposed to make our lives easier. However, we might be going off topic at this point.

To shorten it, I guess it just simplifies our lives (it has its disadvantages, I know) and enables us to do a lot of things. Instead of bringing a huge map of everything, a camera, a notebook and such, we just have to bring our smartphone and a spare battery.

Damn, technologies has developed rapidly and I have no idea about that. I guess thats why people nowadays can't be split up with their "smartphone" everywhere and everytime. I'm using my phone just to calling, texting, chatting, browsing, and gaming  Roll Eyes
The majority (at least from what I've seen so far) uses it mainly for Facebook, Instagram, taking selfies like non stop. Not being able to be offline for a while, is a signal that something isn't right with a person. Is it not?

Update:
People are becoming more and more afraid of silence or to hear themselves think. Hence the digital amnesia.
Exactly. I've actually encountered people, who just can't stay off of their phones for too long, even though I requested (it makes it hard to talk, does it not?).
legendary
Activity: 2982
Merit: 1506
Pie Baking Contest: https://tinyurl.com/2s3z6dee
Have you heard about someone lost his phone where it had important notes and contacts there? Then it will be an advantage to write that in note book, and put in safe place.
Have you heard about backup services? All my contacts are stored with Google, pictures with Dropbox (both aren't good with privacy, but that's irrelevant) and Evernote keeps a backup of my notes.
I don't really see how I could lose it, if I correctly use a smartphone. No wonder it is called, smart. The problem is that the phones are starting to become smarter than their users, and I don't know a lot of people who have backups similar to mine (as mentioned). You might be onto something here.

Although, who says that you won't forget where you left that notebook? What's preventing someone from accessing important information?

Its okay then if you don't remember it, I never make any speed dial in my phone.
Yeah, I guess this depends on the individual. I know a few people that know a lot of numbers. I just never bothered trying to remember those, although I know the numbers of my parents. That should be sufficient I assume.

Damn, technologies has developed rapidly and I have no idea about that. I guess thats why people nowadays can't be split up with their "smartphone" everywhere and everytime. I'm using my phone just to calling, texting, chatting, browsing, and gaming  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
Have you heard about someone lost his phone where it had important notes and contacts there? Then it will be an advantage to write that in note book, and put in safe place.
Have you heard about backup services? All my contacts are stored with Google, pictures with Dropbox (both aren't good with privacy, but that's irrelevant) and Evernote keeps a backup of my notes.
I don't really see how I could lose it, if I correctly use a smartphone. No wonder it is called, smart. The problem is that the phones are starting to become smarter than their users, and I don't know a lot of people who have backups similar to mine (as mentioned). You might be onto something here.

Although, who says that you won't forget where you left that notebook? What's preventing someone from accessing important information?

Its okay then if you don't remember it, I never make any speed dial in my phone.
Yeah, I guess this depends on the individual. I know a few people that know a lot of numbers. I just never bothered trying to remember those, although I know the numbers of my parents. That should be sufficient I assume.

legendary
Terminated.

Activity: 224
Merit: 101
I've read about that before. I'm afraid this is quite true, but it's not limited to Americans. Being an older guy (not that old) without a smartphone, who enjoys the freedom of not being connected, not being tied to anything, I feel pity towards the younger generation who seems unable to live more than 5 minutes without looking at their phone.

Ha, same here, I don't have any use for smartphone but reading books, people all around going & texting, playing stupid games while walking in Subway - tremendously stupid behavior!

I'd not even need a cell phone if I'd have a sum of money I need, left alone Internet! Cheesy
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Buy and sell bitcoins,
Why does anybody need to remember a phone number (except emergency contacts) anyway?

You will never know when it will come in handy. I always remember a friend's number just in case I'd need their help. Emergency contacts are another thing. A friend's number is optional.
legendary
Why would I write something in my notebook, when it is already memorized in my phone? I can't picture a emergency situation where my phone is dead and I carry a notebook with me.

I can't remember his phone number when he's on speed dial.

legendary
Terminated.
Then don't you remember your best friend phone number since you call or text him/her frequently? I think we don't need memorize emergency contacts in our head, just write in the note book, because it be used only in emergency case.
Why would I write something in my notebook, when it is already memorized in my phone? I can't picture a emergency situation where my phone is dead and I carry a notebook with me.
I can't remember his phone number when he's on speed dial.

Not even sure of that. You don't need to actually, as your browser cache and history will remember it for you. And the future is getting worse with sat nav systems and autonomous cars in a few years. The young will have no idea of where they are. I've already seen young people totally unable to read a map.

Me too. They'd be like "Siri get me to this location." I don't know man. The future generations might be just too spoiled on tech gadgets and what Einstein said is happening.
Well I guess this really depends on how you use it. The majority are probably using it in a wrong way, hence the digital amnesia. They probably look up a question quickly, and as soon as they take a glance at the answer they exit. If they were doing more research on the subject, some knowledge would probably get memorized.
legendary
Why does anybody need to remember a phone number (except emergency contacts) anyway?

Then don't you remember your best friend phone number since you call or text him/her frequently? I think we don't need memorize emergency contacts in our head, just write in the note book, because it be used only in emergency case.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1000
Activity: 658
Merit: 500
Buy and sell bitcoins,
One (merely) remembers the location of information instead of the information itself.

Not even sure of that. You don't need to actually, as your browser cache and history will remember it for you. And the future is getting worse with sat nav systems and autonomous cars in a few years. The young will have no idea of where they are. I've already seen young people totally unable to read a map.

Me too. They'd be like "Siri get me to this location." I don't know man. The future generations might be just too spoiled on tech gadgets and what Einstein said is happening.

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
One (merely) remembers the location of information instead of the information itself.

legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
I've read about that before. I'm afraid this is quite true, but it's not limited to Americans. Being an older guy (not that old) without a smartphone, who enjoys the freedom of not being connected, not being tied to anything, I feel pity towards the younger generation who seems unable to live more than 5 minutes without looking at their phone.
legendary
Terminated.
Yeah technology developments just make people become very dependent on that, then we don't need to go to library or book store again. But if you are accustomed to using internet to just help you get more explanation for your question, I think you can be very dependent on it sooner or later.
Define the difference between being dependent on a library/book store and being dependent on internet (i.e. Google in this case).

It depends on how you use it, if you're just googling the answer then yeah all you're doing is memorising the fact and not actually learning anything. What I find however is that if I actually search for a real explanation on how to answer a maths question for example then that explains everything for me and I can work the rest out myself.

The internet has actually managed to help me fill a lot of gaps in my shitty maths teaching I had when I was younger and it's because people now post proper explanations up of how to calculate stuff and so on. It all depends on how you use the internet, people who just go straight for the answer are being lazy.
Well the majority waste time on cat videos and whatnot. There are a lot of things that I can find on the internet, things that I can't find in books (in my area).
Watching something like this is definitely better than watching cats.
legendary
I've got a hard question by my teacher, then the question couldn't be solved with my memory and made me can't slept. And now, if I get anything question, just search the answer with google. Search engines have two effects, one is help you to solving problem, and the other is make your intelligence going down.

It depends on how you use it, if you're just googling the answer then yeah all you're doing is memorising the fact and not actually learning anything. What I find however is that if I actually search for a real explanation on how to answer a maths question for example then that explains everything for me and I can work the rest out myself.

The internet has actually managed to help me fill a lot of gaps in my shitty maths teaching I had when I was younger and it's because people now post proper explanations up of how to calculate stuff and so on. It all depends on how you use the internet, people who just go straight for the answer are being lazy.

Yeah technology developments just make people become very dependent on that, then we don't need to go to library or book store again. But if you are accustomed to using internet to just help you get more explanation for your question, I think you can be very dependent on it sooner or later.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
I've got a hard question by my teacher, then the question couldn't be solved with my memory and made me can't slept. And now, if I get anything question, just search the answer with google. Search engines have two effects, one is help you to solving problem, and the other is make your intelligence going down.

legendary
legendary
Terminated.
This is quite interesting. Even though I'm not going to question their testing methods, I can confirm this as I've been closely observing people and their speech patterns over the years.
What about people who do not care about such information? I only know 2 cellphone numbers, of which 1 is mine. I've never bothered to learn them (even before I had internet access).

However, I'm very good at remembering information that is only 'a click away'.

The real test is if you can remember your public bitcoin address!
I know the first 6 characters:
1Lauda...  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1014
I do not think it happens only to the Americans, the citizens of other countries also suffer.
Pages:
Jump to: