Pages:
Author

Topic: Succeeded in introducing Bitcoin to a friend - page 6. (Read 1378 times)

Activity: 1316
Merit: 268
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
December 24, 2023, 03:52:35 AM

My question now is that is it wise that I showed him the amount of Bitcoins I have accumulated before he developed interest?

Sorry, but it is not okay for me since you asked about this matter. Better yet, you gave him a briefing on Bitcoin. It would not show the amount of bitcoin you have now. Because it's like when you used to brag to him that you had Bitcoin and he didn't. Even if we say that, that is not really your intention.

So what happened during your conversation was that he immediately got interested, even though he didn't really understand Bitcoin yet. That's because he saw the value of Bitcoin in the market, as you may have told him. Maybe next time, don't do that.
Activity: 2800
Merit: 603
December 24, 2023, 03:30:00 AM
My question now is that is it wise that I showed him the amount of Bitcoins I have accumulated before he developed interest?

I don't think so.

If you will ask me, it's a No for me, Even if were close friends because I want to maintain the confidentiality when it comes to my income, salary as well as about investments/savings. It's not like I don't have trust but It's much safer If I'm the only one who knows about it, Even to my family, I never informed my exact income amount so as to have less expectations.
It is about keeping ourselves safe as well. He might gain interest in learning but we never know what is the mind of those people who know our finances. I'd rather look simple and empty so people don't care about us. But can't blame the OP as well, he trusted his friend, and he has the confidence already, and in order for him to convince to show evidence that he has Bitcoin. We could just hope that everything went well and his friend didn't think any stupid things against him.
Activity: 224
Merit: 216
December 24, 2023, 02:51:12 AM

I don't think so.

Why ?

I think it's not a big deal because Op mentioned that he was his old friend so there's no issue with the physical attacks as there some such cases already exist.

You never really know, I'd prefer to not tell anything sensitive to anyone tbh. Also, I don't think there was real reason to show accumulated amounts to his friend, it could be avoided.

He met his old friend after 10 years, people completely change in this much time.
It is true that people can change at any time.I also have some friends that I have told about Bitcoin and they are trying to learn but I haven't told them that I have Bitcoin. Because I have to protect myself.
I didn't tell my friends about my bitcoins in case they attacked me for changing at some point. But I have discussed my Bitcoin investment with my family and I even discuss it almost every day.
Activity: 966
Merit: 276
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
December 24, 2023, 02:43:02 AM

I don't think so.

If you will ask me, it's a No for me, Even if were close friends because I want to maintain the confidentiality when it comes to my income, salary as well as about investments/savings. It's not like I don't have trust but It's much safer If I'm the only one who knows about it, Even to my family, I never informed my exact income amount so as to have less expectations.
Activity: 630
Merit: 374
December 24, 2023, 01:07:53 AM
Bitcoin discussions with friends require honesty, not salesmanship. Investing is always risky. This must be emphasised especially when leading friends. Knowing risks and potential advantages are important. Always say, "Invest only what you can afford to lose." This mantra is key to crypto investing. Consider the human element: friendship is built on trust. Responsible investment advice includes Bitcoin. When the market dips, as it often does, financial loss can strain your friendship. Not simply market trends, but trust, openness, and respect.

Most people who introduce bitcoin to their friends forget that. They do not tell them the whole picture! They present Bitcoin like it's a Ponzi scheme and there is no downtime. They present that Bitcoin is magic money and everyone can be rich by investing in it. They always present it like, the Bitcoin price always increases with time. They never say that Bitcoin could down for a year or so. We have been down from ATH for the last two years. Imagine someone bought Bitcoin at ATH. How have they felt about it for the last few years?

We have to tell them that, you have to buy at the right time if you want to make some profit. unfortunately, we don't know what is the most accurate time to buy it. To avoid confusion, usually, we follow DCA methods to buy Bitcoin. But the Ideal time to buy is when Bitcoin goes down. We have to tell them that the bear run is not permanent. We are not losing anything if we do not sell our holding! There are many things we can explain them.
Activity: 2464
Merit: 934
December 23, 2023, 10:46:27 PM

I don't think so.

Why ?

I think it's not a big deal because Op mentioned that he was his old friend so there's no issue with the physical attacks as there some such cases already exist.

You never really know, I'd prefer to not tell anything sensitive to anyone tbh. Also, I don't think there was real reason to show accumulated amounts to his friend, it could be avoided.

He met his old friend after 10 years, people completely change in this much time.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 281
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
December 23, 2023, 07:06:24 PM
Just before your question, I already planned to talk about you showing him your Bitcoin balance. It is a wrong thing to do because you just said that you haven’t met or communicated for years. I am not saying he’s a bad person but what if he isn’t the same person you knew back then? And even for a friend you see everyday, showing them your Bitcoin balance is still dangerous for reasons like envy. Someone can envy you just because you know more, do more, or even have more. So, not just about him, because who you tell that you have Bitcoin, not to mention the people you actually show your balance to.
legendary
Activity: 2492
Merit: 1332
December 23, 2023, 06:43:49 PM
While you became successful in making your friend to invest in bitcoin, but I am worried on your friend as well because his decision to invest is such a rush. I believe greed is one reason, but if he's really smart enough, he should have research on it first before trying to trust and invest in bitcoin. You might be held responsible of his future losses, who knows.

Now, on your part OP, I would like to advise you to never show your wallet again regardless of how small your bitcoin hodling is. You never know what's running on your friend's mind so be cautious and be mindful the next time you introduce bitcoin to your peers.
Even if the friend has no ulterior motives they can always talk more than what they should and reveal the amount of bitcoin the OP has on their wallet, and if that information reaches the wrong person then the OP could be at risk of getting their coins stolen, this is why the approach the OP took should be disregarded, as even if they were successful in getting their friend interested in this market, the risks they took with this method are simply too high for most people to bear.
Activity: 2954
Merit: 672
Message @Hhampuz if you are looking for a CM!
December 23, 2023, 03:17:24 PM
While you became successful in making your friend to invest in bitcoin, but I am worried on your friend as well because his decision to invest is such a rush. I believe greed is one reason, but if he's really smart enough, he should have research on it first before trying to trust and invest in bitcoin. You might be held responsible of his future losses, who knows.

Now, on your part OP, I would like to advise you to never show your wallet again regardless of how small your bitcoin hodling is. You never know what's running on your friend's mind so be cautious and be mindful the next time you introduce bitcoin to your peers.
Activity: 1372
Merit: 908
December 23, 2023, 03:12:41 PM
I went through your profile, and the first thread that you created showed that you just bought a bitcoin when the price was at $43,943, which shows that you just started accumulating bitcoin recently, and you asked some questions in the thread, which I am sure only a newbie will ask that kind of question, but in the current post created by you, it seems like you have been accumulating bitcoin for a long period of time. I don't really believe your story, I don't really know how true it is.

i also showed him the amount of bitcoins i have stored in my wallet so far and he became curious to know about bitcoin and i explained everything i know about bitcoin
I said earlier that I don't know how true your story is, but if it is, then you made a great mistake. You shouldn't have shown him your bitcoin holdings, don't disclose the amount of bitcoin you are holding to people, your bitcoin holdings should be known only to you. You claimed your friend travelled the country for a long time, and your friend recently just came back. You shouldn't really trust him to the level of showing him your wallet. You might trust him, but I hope you know people do change. Your friend might not be the same person you knew a few years ago, so you have to be careful.

If you really have a huge amount of money in your wallet, what if your friend ends up setting you up and asking you to send the bitcoin to their wallet, or if the bitcoin is stored in a non-custodial wallet, asking you for your private key? You can tell people about bitcoin, but don't disclose the amount of bitcoin that you are holding.
legendary
Activity: 966
Merit: 1042
#SWGT CERTIK Audited
December 23, 2023, 02:44:24 PM

I don't think so.

Why ?

I think it's not a big deal because Op mentioned that he was his old friend so there's no issue with the physical attacks as there some such cases already exist. At the same time, I think greed has no limits even the trusted ones can do something unexpected and still give the benefit of the doubt because He's your old friend, and until you are securing your key there's no issue also better to use a hardware wallet. A maximum of the security concerns can be handled with the hardware wallet.

DCA is a good strategy in every market zone, but with the zone change, we can adopt some other strategies such as buying the dips, flexible DCA, etc etc.

OP make sure to realize the privacy concerns on the internet, if you are good at it, you can keep yourself safer it was your friend if it was any other person whom you were just educating about Bitcoin I would have called it the stupidest action. For the rest, I do appreciate your efforts and motivation for sharing this story but mostly people on the forum ask and answer stories are not considered as reliable to share anything.
Activity: 728
Merit: 308
December 23, 2023, 02:31:55 PM
It makes you a good friend to be able to introduce your friend to something with the potential of changing their lives. The common things that some friends introduce their other friends to are things that can ruin their lives like smoking, drinking and gambling. Only few friends share useful information. Now that you have introduced your friend to bitcoin, you have to make sure that they understand the need to try to start doing their own research on bitcoins, so as to know more.
Activity: 1098
Merit: 534
December 23, 2023, 02:25:56 PM
I think OP just got carried away on his conversation with the friend. Maybe with a bit if a show off haha why would you show someone how much bitcoin you have, considering that is a friend you havent seen in a while.

To be honest, i wont talk about money to someone i havent met for a long time. Not everyone's comfy talking about money, and it could create weird vibes or even stir up unexpected expectations. Plus, you never know who's listening, right? Keep it lowkey and chat about crypto without turning it into a wallet show and tell. It's safer and you won't accidentally make things awkward.

I would definitelly hav eto agree with you Natsuu, it would be wise to not divuldge this information as you never know who could be listening (especially through your electronic devices), this information should be kept secret and safe. This was more of a bragging show off to an old friend to show him his success and get a nod. This type of thing was a flaunt. Education is the most important piece. Explain its importance and show them the way, and if they ask about your holdings I always say that that its rude to ask such a question because its none of their business.
Activity: 2926
Merit: 636
For campaign management look for Little Mouse!
December 23, 2023, 12:55:41 PM
Not a problem to me I guess since it's both of you that known each other and knew how much each of you hold. I also think that most of us have this similar type of story that we've got this friend and asked us about Bitcoin and told them to buy and then just hold it until they make a profit.

But when it comes to this, knowing how much I have, I never disclose it to anybody otherwise if I think the person is not trustworthy. I just simply say that I've got less in my holdings because I have to sell.

It's surprising to see someone that you've just met again although you're long time friends that has bought with that much. Because with my friends, they don't even want to place $10 for their first purchase as they're all scared.  Cheesy
I think his friend never demand to see his bitcoin amount. It's just OP that is very eager to show his achievement with bitcoin. So not really a wise move OP. You don't even know his present background because you have not seen each other for quite a long time. Bitcoin is an investment property, so it needs to be privately kept and hold, and never to be easily disclosed to anyone.

However, I was also shocked why his friend immediately invest at a huge amount. It just only proves that he really did not understand the risk involves in bitcoin.
Activity: 378
Merit: 259
December 23, 2023, 12:19:25 PM
Last week, an old friend of mine back then in the university in 2013 who later traveled to Canada to further his studies returned back to the country and yesterday, he coincidentally met my mum at a shopping mall and requested for my contact and my mom gave my number to him so he called and called the nickname that we both normally call ourselves back then in the university days I was so shocked to hear that and I called his original name and he answered and told me he is back from Canada and he requested we meet at a bar immediately.

So with excitement to hear from an old friend after so many years I just immediately took my bath and zoomed to the bar he directed me, so I got there lo and behold my old time friend. We exchanged pleasantries and started discussing about life and I told him how life have been so uneasy but that I got a job in a factory were am paid $60 for about 2 years now and i told him that my colleague at work introduced me to a forum called bitcointalk where i registered on the forum and learnt a lot of things concerning Bitcoin and i also showed him the amount of bitcoins i have stored in my wallet so far and he became curious to know about bitcoin and i explained everything i know about bitcoin and encouraged him to join me in buying and holdling bitcoin that we are awaiting the bull market after the halving so he became so furious and told me that since he knew me that I don't normally give attention to anything online (internet) but for me to hodl such huge amount of Bitcoins that it means am really serious about it so he became interested and ask me how he can buy Bitcoin as well so I told him step by step on how to buy Bitcoin and he bought Bitcoins worth $520 that is about 0.012194 btc so he told me that he wish to acquire 1 btc so I told him not to worry that he will use the DCA method to buy same amount of bitcoins at different interval then with time he will surely acquire the 1 btc.

I hope you teach him more about bitcoin before he started investing too. It's exciting to show him another way to double his income, if he learns how to invest in bitcoin, I think he won't rely on just one thing for a living. You are a good friend to tell him about this forum, i believe he would learn more from you. In addition, you can also introduce him to this forum so that he can learn more about bitcoin whenever you are not around to direct him, which if he wants to invest in bitcoin in the long run, for him to go online and obtain false information from untrusted sources about bitcoin.

I don't think so, since you have known him for a long time, but that should give you reason to believe him because you two are not as close as you were before. When he traveled to Canada, you won't know a new way of life with him. Since you've already told him how much bitcoin you own, let it end there, don't give any more information to him about your privacy, just because he's holding bitcoin doesn't mean he won't scam you, to avoid losing what you've been holding for so long.
Activity: 2828
Merit: 673
Play Bitcoin PVP Prediction Game
December 23, 2023, 11:59:18 AM
Yes, I've seen how you managed to convince your friend to invest in bitcoin and finally, he agreed to invest as well. However, what I want to correct is that showing him the amount of bitcoin in your wallet will never be right, certainly not a wise move for you because you are giving him the hint to steal your bitcoin or hack your account in the future. You forgot to stay cautious on your investment just because of your goal to convince your friend.

From this, hopefully you will learn your lesson and will not do the same mistake again. Bitcoin is very precious that people can't resist it from stealing if there's any chance.
Activity: 326
Merit: 135
December 23, 2023, 11:51:50 AM
It is really happy that a new person got to know about Bitcoin. Explaining the basics of Bitcoin to others through daily conversations and explaining its features and potential to traditional financial systems will surely create a new customer for Bitcoin. It's definitely a good idea to explain to a new friend discussions about Bitcoin limited supply, blockchain technology, and its potential impact on the future of money. I, along with others, look forward to exploring this exciting journey into the world of decentralized finance.
Activity: 2464
Merit: 644
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
December 23, 2023, 07:36:44 AM
Regarding your question, It depends on what kind of friend he is. how close and trustworthy he is. even tho sharing a public address with someone is fine as long as your keys are safe but it'll breach your privacy for sure.. it is totally on each person's own perspective.

The same story happened to me years ago and now he is not only my friend outside of social media but also one with whom I can talk freely when it comes to crypto-related matters. It's nice to have a friend whom you can ask for advice when it comes to certain coins for your investment because they will just gonna simply explain it the way you understand well and there will be no sugar coating because he truly cares for you when he advises you. Unlike taking some tips from influencers on Youtube, they will lead you astray and lure you to invest in their shitcoins and leave you in your investment after the project they introduced to you has failed.
You are correct. Knowing about Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency from a Friend or a family member is much better than finding it out fromthe  internet. Trusted influencers are still ok. but there are so many scammers nowadays that newbies can get easily misled by anyone.
Activity: 2016
Merit: 281
Vave.com - Crypto Casino
December 23, 2023, 07:29:51 AM
Honestly I am not really excited introducing bitcoin to my friend due bad experienced before when they are investing and price drastically drop, many of them make me on fault position exactly they are most greedy when investing in bitcoin. Better introducing them not only with how much profitable earned when investing in bitcoin also need to talk them bitcoin have fluactive price with some time on the top and has potential will going down.

But introducing your friend with bitcoin don't left with teaching them free way to earn bitcoin and they will get benefit fund for investing without use their primary fund. When their bitcoin investment assets going dump not make you on pressure position and need to introduce them how most important with patience.
Activity: 1218
Merit: 556
Leading Crypto Sports Betting & Casino Platform
December 23, 2023, 07:07:06 AM
I think it takes more than a week.

Anyway youre right that OP should consider both the positive and negative aspects. Open communication about potential risks is indeed crucial in any friendship. It's a valuable lesson in making informed decisions, especially in the world of investments like Bitcoin.

That is what I wanted to tell him too. People tend to make these mistakes by saying that it's a gem and the profit is guaranteed. But, as a good friend, you tell them everything in detail. Most of the time people talk about only the positive side of something because they want to sell the product. But, when you are talking to your friend and you are talking about Bitcoin, you don't have to impress them about Bitcoin. You have to tell them everything so they don't blame you later.

I am sure that you guys heard that someone convinced his friend to invest in something and later the project failed or scammed. Would you ever trust your friend after such a incident? I know there are less chance that Bitcoin may fail. But, imagine if your friend buy Bitcoin and the market goes for a long bear market. You will lose your friend.
Bitcoin discussions with friends require honesty, not salesmanship. Investing is always risky. This must be emphasised especially when leading friends. Knowing risks and potential advantages are important. Always say, "Invest only what you can afford to lose." This mantra is key to crypto investing. Consider the human element: friendship is built on trust. Responsible investment advice includes Bitcoin. When the market dips, as it often does, financial loss can strain your friendship. Not simply market trends, but trust, openness, and respect.

Supporting Bitcoin doesn't negate its risks. Realism requires realising its potential and volatility. Instead of persuading, friends enlighten and encourage, letting them decide. This method fosters trust, respect, and, most importantly, friendships throughout market changes.
Pages:
Jump to: