Pages:
Author

Topic: Suggestion: Remove Marketplace subforum - page 2. (Read 1748 times)

Activity: 518
Merit: 500
September 11, 2012, 12:28:13 PM
This has been suggested before.

If you do not like the marketplace, you can change your settings to ignore it.

This forum is based around a digital currency. A currency is useless if you cannot spend it somewhere. Th marketplace provides a place where people can trade using this currency. If you remove the marketplace subforum, all those posts will just be put into the main bitcoin discussion board.

My vote: leave the marketplace as it is.
Activity: 476
Merit: 250
September 11, 2012, 11:56:47 AM
As a longtime lurker, I've watched the rise and fall of the obvious scams here and have seen people obviously untrained in business or the skill of spotting the dishonest get cleaned out. I don't blame people for being inexperienced, but I also don't have any empathy for people that want to blame someone else for their own mistakes.

If this community wants bitcoin to be received by the larger world, we need to clean out our own backyard. If you want to stop attracting dogs, get rid of the garbage on the porch. A good first step is the immediate deletion of the Marketplace subforum, or at least a brutal trimming of categories, and make this board one for ideas again rather than questionable commerce. If the marketplace forum is gone, other websites will most certainly pick up the slack and then the drama and problems of the scams and the begging become their problems, not bitcointalk.org's.

I might also suggest that moderators and forum staff might institute a policy of refraining from promoting or engaging in public deals on the board. It calls their neutrality into question when they do so.
Pages:
Jump to: