Pages:
Author

Topic: SWIFT ready to block Iranian bank transactions - page 2. (Read 4217 times)

Activity: 440
Merit: 250
If shutting down Napster resulted in Bittorrent, then what will be the result of shutting down SWIFT transfers in and out of Iran?
Activity: 523
Merit: 500
Its because of the oil, we are close to or at peak oil and oil will now be even more important, the country with the most oil will win unless attacked  Roll Eyes

They try to build nukes so that they will not be attacked.

Ofcourse the president of Iran is a maniac the world could be without but he will probably only be replaced by some other religious maniac.

Activity: 574
Merit: 250
So, the superpowers want to smack the Iranians into submission? Just because their delusional head of state wants to build nukes and flip them around the region?

Beats the hell out of Israeli nukes raining down on Tehran, which is the other alternative.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
Anyone see any potential problems with this?
Yes, you'd probably end up with an excess of Iranian Rials which you'd have trouble converting into usable currency.

You could sell BTC for gold and silver or say oil or some other commodity..
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105
WalletScrutiny.com
As i said elsewhere, BTC will not help Iran a bit. At least not for those that want to convert their IRR to BTC as there are no BTC for sale in the country. There could be high demand for BTC in Iran though, so sending BTC to Iran by friends and family would definitely be a way around the embargo but I doubt Iran will embrace the BTC. Actually I would even fear that if Iran officially announced to use BTC to circumvent the SWIFT embargo, this would pose a risk for the BTC.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
Yes, you'd probably end up with an excess of Iranian Rials which you'd have trouble converting into usable currency.

And become a...

donator
Activity: 1617
Merit: 1012
Activity: 812
Merit: 1006
1. A person with a western bank account goes to iran
2. The person sets up a bitcoin cash exchange
3. The person can sell and buy bitcoins, establishing international money transfers

Anyone see any potential problems with this? Of course the Iranian goverment could stop this etc, but other than that.
Activity: 731
Merit: 503
Libertas a calumnia
This news shocks me: it show how powerful just one organization (SWIFT) has.
SWIFT can isolate a country from the rest of the world with the click of a button, causing enormous problems to the population.

That seems to me a very good reason to why countries should endorse Bitcoin, thus enabling them to be financial indipendent.

From the article:

When I studied International Relations in college, we were taught that economic sanctions could be on par with, “Rockets and bombs,” as one professor put it, and potentially much worse. Questions about economic sanctions amounting to collective punishment and other violations of International Law are ignored by the perpetrators. These types of policies resulted in a holocaust in Iraq.

The only conclusion that I can draw from the news below is that the decision has already been made to militarily engage Iran and this is an attempt to cause Iran to lash out first. In the event that Iran doesn’t strike first, a false flag incident could be fabricated easily.

If SWIFT actually pulls the plug, I’d consider the fuse to be lit. Also, if SWIFT does it before 20 March, this is probably the real reason:

Last week, the Tehran Times noted that the Iranian oil bourse will start trading oil in currencies other than the dollar from March 20. This long-planned move is part of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad’s vision of economic war with the west.
“The dispute over Iran’s nuclear programme is nothing more than a convenient excuse for the US to use threats to protect the ‘reserve currency’ status of the dollar,” the newspaper, which calls itself the voice of the Islamic Revolution, said.

Via: Reuters:

Belgium-based SWIFT, which provides banks with a system for moving funds around the world, bowed to international pressure on Friday and said it was ready to block Iranian banks from using its network to transfer money.

Expelling Iranian banks from the Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial Telecommunication would shut down Tehran’s main avenue to doing business with the rest of the world – an outcome the West believes is crucial to curbing Iran’s nuclear ambitions.

SWIFT, which has never cut off a country before, has been closely following efforts in the United States and the European Union to develop new sanctions targeting Iran that would directly affect EU-based financial institutions.

The United States and EU have already moved to sanction Iran’s central bank.
“SWIFT stands ready to act and discontinue its services to sanctioned Iranian financial institutions as soon as it has clarity on EU legislation currently being drafted,” the company said in an emailed statement.

The United States has been pushing the European Union to force SWIFT to evict the Iranian firms but it was unclear whether the EU would reach an agreement.
For one, SWIFT’s home country, Belgium, does not think the global banking firm should be the only company of its kind required to comply with sanctions.

The Obama administration said it welcomed SWIFT’s intention to stop transactions involving designated Iranian banks. “We will continue to be in contact with our EU partners to urge action on this issue,” a U.S. Treasury official said.

SWIFT, with headquarters just outside the Belgian capital Brussels, is vital to international money flows, exchanging an average 18 million payment messages per day between banks and other financial institutions in 210 countries.
Pages:
Jump to: