Pages:
Author

Topic: Sync your blockchain easily! - page 2. (Read 545 times)

HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4314
January 23, 2021, 09:03:37 PM
It also goes against the one of the core (if you'll excuse the pun) tenets of Bitcoin: "Don't Trust, Verify"

I know you're just trying to help, but the entire purpose of running a "Full Node" is knowing that you have downloaded and verified every single block. "Bootstrapping" with just blocks is bad enough, taking someone else's chainstate is basically removing all of the verification from the process and going to "Don't Verify, Trust". Undecided

To anyone contemplating using this download... If you don't have the time and resources to fully sync a full node the "proper way"™, then perhaps you should be asking yourself why you're even running a full node? Huh
Activity: 8
Merit: 7
January 23, 2021, 07:04:16 PM
What I see is only theory, and manipulating the blocks to steal coins would mean I know something about the visitors wallets...which is not possible :-)

Anyway if I can improve something or add valuable data to this repo, just tell me.
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 2066
Cashback 15%
January 23, 2021, 06:55:26 PM
Do you have any link proving bitcoin thefts from malicious blocks files sharing? I can't find any.

The quote posted above:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.51300579

It might have "just" been malware that got bundled with legit bootstrap files, however I don't know the details.
January 23, 2021, 06:08:19 PM
I'm also sharing the blocks and chainstate directories, which implies no further sync is needed (except few blocks between the generation dates).

Do you have any link proving bitcoin thefts from malicious blocks files sharing? I can't find any.
legendary
Cashback 15%
January 23, 2021, 05:59:23 PM
I'm not assuming any ill will from your end and I have no doubt that there are cases where bootstrapping the blockchain may be desirable.

But it is worth noting that in most cases using a bootstrap file will actually take longer and does come with risks due to cases such as this:

FWIW, I just removed a nearly year old post with a .bitcoin directory download that would have stolen all your bitcoins.

Case in point as to why these "download the blockchain" links are a disaster. God knows how many people got robbed due to it.
January 23, 2021, 05:46:29 PM
The bitcoin-core syncing still take lot of hours for me if I can't download a complete updated bootstrap, and i'm fed up when I install a new client/bitcoin node.
Also, I provide the file for blockchain analysis outside the bitcoin-core client.

I don't even understand how you can spread malware through the blocks files, but Is there anything I can do to improve the confidence to my files ?
legendary
Cashback 15%
January 23, 2021, 05:29:06 PM
FYI, bootstrapping the Bitcoin blockchain via torrent or download is not recommended anymore since 0.10.0:

As of Bitcoin Core version 0.10.0 and later, the block chain bootstrap
torrent hosted here takes more time to download and import than it would
to simply start Bitcoin Core and let it sync itself.

(also for any newcomers reading this: there have also been cases where bootstrap downloads were used to spread coin-stealing malware, so it's a practice that is generally advised against due to security concerns as well)
January 23, 2021, 04:58:12 PM
Hi,

I made this poor website for free: btstrp.info.
I was downloading the bitcoin-core blocks from 0 and I was fed up of waiting, so I made it available for everyone.

Tell me if you see any improvement to do !
Pages:
Jump to: