Pages:
Author

Topic: Tax obligation for personal Bitcoin traded to Fiat - page 2. (Read 254 times)

legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 2013
If I transfer BTC into my Coinbase account from a personal wallet, and then sell my BTC for Fiat/USD... am I subject to tax obligation?

If yes, how much? In other words, what type of taxation am I subject to?

Intuition says there is no tax, for this is not income, is this true?

Depends. As Fiatless says taxation is relative to the country you live in, but I can tell you that, in general, if you have received that amount of Bitcoin for work you have done, it should be subject to income tax. Also if when you sell it you obtain a profit with respect to the fiat countervalue at the time you were paid for the work done, it would also be subject to capital gains tax. The same applies if you simply bought it. If you make a profit on it when sold, it is subject to capital gains tax.

But as said this may vary depending on your tax residence, and there are for example minimum exemptions or other exemptions that may apply.
Activity: 462
Merit: 472
If I transfer BTC into my Coinbase account from a personal wallet and then sell my BTC for Fiat/USD... am I subject to tax obligation?

Taxation policies are not uniform in all the countries. Every country has its tax policies and calculations. It will be better to seek the advice of a tax officer in your location to determine how crypto taxes are calculated and paid in your country. In some countries, the exchange acts as a tax collector for the government. In that case, the tax is added to the transaction charges and the tax will be remitted to the government.

These links of Coinbase about understanding crypto taxes might help.
https://www.coinbase.com/learn/crypto-basics/understanding-crypto-taxes#:~:text=If%20you're%20holding%20crypto,you%20have%20a%20taxable%20event.

https://www.coinbase.com/learn/your-crypto/understanding-capital-gains
Activity: 26
Merit: 11
If I transfer BTC into my Coinbase account from a personal wallet, and then sell my BTC for Fiat/USD... am I subject to tax obligation?

Pages:
Jump to: