Pages:
Author

Topic: Tax UK - page 2. (Read 1068 times)

legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
November 19, 2017, 07:15:27 PM
Trading is regarded as gambling thus no tax payable. Unless the law changed.

I can't believe that every full time stock market or forex trader, and that's the closest square equivalent to crypto trading, out there is contentedly registered as a gambler and not paying a bean, but one thing I've gleaned from the people who've gone a bit deeper into this with various accountants is that no one appears to have a bleedin' clue.

Spread betting and binary trading I can believe. I don't buy it otherwise.

They are classified as gambling and trading with btc is no different. Stockmarket  and/or forex trader are companies, not individuals. Remember with CGT one can offset losses against their gains. Gambling has no tax because gambling losses are not, obviously, offset against wins.
Activity: 401
Merit: 108
November 19, 2017, 07:10:50 PM
Yes this is another bizarre rule.  a gambler can earn millions and pay zero tax, where as any regular hand to mouth person earning over £11k/year will need to pay tax...  Lips sealed
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
November 19, 2017, 06:59:31 PM

I can't believe that every full time stock market or forex trader, and that's the closest square equivalent to crypto trading, out there is contentedly registered as a gambler and not paying a bean, but one thing I've gleaned from the people who've gone a bit deeper into this with various accountants is that no one appears to have a bleedin' clue.

Spread betting and binary trading I can believe. I don't buy it otherwise.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
November 19, 2017, 06:55:04 PM
The tax situation is clear. You pay capital gains on your profit. You have an exemption of £11,300 ish. If your profit is below that you pay no tax. For tax reasons it's treated the same as foreign currency.

Some people say you should also be paying capital gains tax on your crypto only gains. Sod that.

There might also be a grey area over a full time trader paying income tax as that's a job rather than a capital gain. I haven't heard many mentions of that.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/revenue-and-customs-brief-9-2014-bitcoin-and-other-cryptocurrencies/revenue-and-customs-brief-9-2014-bitcoin-and-other-cryptocurrencies

The above is their advisory which hasn't changed since 2014.

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3014
Welt Am Draht
November 19, 2017, 06:06:11 PM
The tax situation is clear. You pay capital gains on your profit. You have an exemption of £11,300 ish. If your profit is below that you pay no tax. For tax reasons it's treated the same as foreign currency.

Some people say you should also be paying capital gains tax on your crypto only gains. Sod that.

There might also be a grey area over a full time trader paying income tax as that's a job rather than a capital gain. I haven't heard many mentions of that.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/revenue-and-customs-brief-9-2014-bitcoin-and-other-cryptocurrencies/revenue-and-customs-brief-9-2014-bitcoin-and-other-cryptocurrencies

The above is their advisory which hasn't changed since 2014.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
November 19, 2017, 05:59:39 PM
Hello,

Has anyone withdrawn BTC in the UK? If so do you need to pay tax on it as it currently seems unclear.
Pages:
Jump to: