Pages:
Author

Topic: Technobit HEX8A1 260GH/s Coincraft based miner reviewed - page 2. (Read 12967 times)

Activity: 617
Merit: 543
http://idontALT.com

More pics can be found here: http://imgur.com/a/mRbMZ#bmfxPCC

Unfortunately only 3 of the 5 HEX8A1 from TechnoBit were hashing. 2 have been returned to TechnoBit for replacement costing me just under $500AUD to DHL it to Bulgaria from Sydney, Australia.

Units were well packed when received on Monday, 10th March 2014 (End Feb. Batch). 3 days of fine tuning have resulted in the following hashing rates and settings.
Code:
Freq. Voltage    Avg. Hash/s
220    860       222GHs
250    950       235GHs
250    960       251GHs
*ozbot* | bunnyhopping | 29763160 shares (129 stales; 0.0%) | avg 732163 MH/s |

Each unit has it's own behaviour and I found I had to use separate instances of cgminer to apply the correct freq. and voltage to each unit to maximise efficiency. My target HW error rate was under 3%. Power consumed is unknown at this stage but I'll see if I can get some readings.

I hope really hope TechnoBit compensates somehow for a 40% DOA result for me. Not to mention the $500 DHL fee to ship back.

Hash wild, with lasers!! pew pew!!
QG
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
Activity: 547
Merit: 531
First bits: 12good
OP updated with latest patch for cgminer 4.0.0 and build for Ubuntu 12.04 x64:

cgminer-4.0.0 HEX8A1 only
cgminer-4.0.0 ALL HEX Boards + nano

You can download tp-link images from here:
http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/505202/0-2-2-rar.html

With the latest image I have no problem running 3 boards on one MR-3020

CPU usage is around 36% according to Technobit you can run up to 9 boards.
Activity: 700
Merit: 504
Run a Bitcoin node.
Thanks, very professional review.
nooo
as far it is in conteact with rechtange area of the ASIC's

My bad, just looked at the pics a bit closer and see what you mean. Shame. Do you plan on changing the design?

They did originally have both heatsinks running in the same direction. That would have allowed for stacking them on their sides and using cable ties in the fan holes to secure them together and putting one large fan on one side an blowing over both heatsinks.

Cry
Yes But cooling of the top side of the chips was not enough Wink
Sorry
Activity: 490
nooo

My bad, just looked at the pics a bit closer and see what you mean. Shame. Do you plan on changing the design?

They did originally have both heatsinks running in the same direction. That would have allowed for stacking them on their sides and using cable ties in the fan holes to secure them together and putting one large fan on one side an blowing over both heatsinks.

Cry
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
nooo

nooo
legendary
Activity: 3220
Merit: 1220
Can these boards be stacked together? Did you try it?

Not really, you cannot stack them vertically because you have 2 powerful fans back to back trying to suck the air out of each other.

You cannot stack them horizontally because they placed the heatsinks in a cross pattern.

I did try to warn them early on about this.

Best buy some shelving units to stand them on and stagger them to stop the heat from one being sucked into the next. Tongue

Can't you just undo the heatsink and rotate it?
Mine run best efficiency at around 220/900 = 215GH/250W, but they were from the pre-production run, maybe the end of Feb production run are better? I don't see any capacitors/polyfuses in your photos so assume that's what you have there? Wink

Actualy "device 1" is from the pre-production with polyfuses and "device 2" is a later version of the board, so IMO it all depends on the chips. The new version seems to be more resistant to heat but thats an early observation.

Have you tried 230/900 !?

230/900 is not good for me, one machine has 10% errors the other 2% and the hash rate is 5-10GH lower too. Probably needs more mV.

Seems to be a lot of variation in these chips. I see from Bitmine's own 1TH video they are using ones running good ones at 200GH @ 830mV!

http://youtu.be/91MuwGOgRFo?t=44s (need to go full screen and HD720p to see it.)

I did hear a rumor they made a later production run with wider tracks to improve efficiency. I thought thats what you had to get those numbers.  Wink

On the video it's SYS_CLK=830Mhz which corresponds to 207.5 MHz on HEX8A1, I assume Bitmine's voltage is fixed since there is no information for it on the video.

And they have only 1 dead engine in the whole set.

Not really, you cannot stack them vertically because you have 2 powerful fans back to back trying to suck the air out of each other.

You cannot stack them horizontally because they placed the heatsinks in a cross pattern.

I did try to warn them early on about this.

Best buy some shelving units to stand them on and stagger them to stop the heat from one being sucked into the next. Tongue

Activity: 92
Merit: 10
2GOOD

Good review.

We have a number of them coming and I'm trying to figure out a layout for them.

Thanks
Mine run best efficiency at around 220/900 = 215GH/250W, but they were from the pre-production run, maybe the end of Feb production run are better? I don't see any capacitors/polyfuses in your photos so assume that's what you have there? Wink

Actualy "device 1" is from the pre-production with polyfuses and "device 2" is a later version of the board, so IMO it all depends on the chips. The new version seems to be more resistant to heat but thats an early observation.

230/900 is not good for me, one machine has 10% errors the other 2% and the hash rate is 5-10GH lower too. Probably needs more mV.

Seems to be a lot of variation in these chips. I see from Bitmine's own 1TH video they are using ones running good ones at 200GH @ 830mV!

http://youtu.be/91MuwGOgRFo?t=44s (need to go full screen and HD720p to see it.)

I did hear a rumor they made a later production run with wider tracks to improve efficiency. I thought thats what you had to get those numbers.  Wink

Nice review and photos. What camera are you using?

The photos are taken (as usual) with Nikon D5100 - minimal color correction applied in post.

Thank you Smiley
Gator
what is the fan model.
We can test it in order to make a version for not OC-ed boards

It's P/N: AFACO-09000-GBA01 the standard F9 3pin model I use. Cut back the yellow and wire in the red/blank.
http://www.arctic.ac/eu_en/products/cooling/case-fan/arctic-f9.html

There's been some good bulk buy deals on them recently and I've been paying about £3/€4/$5 for the standard one.
Also they don't eat fingers.  Cheesy
Gator
what is the fan model.
We can test it in order to make a version for not OC-ed boards
actually the yellow elements are poly fuses Gator, not capacitors.

Stops overcurrent? I've got a couple that are not attached on one board. Should I worry? Seems to run okay but one board has more H/W errors uses 40W more than the other. I noticed one Hex8A1 didn't come back straight after the power supply faulted. I assume it was these things doing their job then. Fixed that by putting a Sunon 4500 fan on the 5V line. Useful for something besides making noise, helps regulate my PSU! Cheesy

Anyone who doesn't want to listen to fans as loud as their vacuum cleaner, you can run 3x Arctic F9 (92mm/1800RPM/43CFM) in the low 900s mV
actually the yellow elements are poly fuses Gator, not capacitors.
Mine run best efficiency at around 220/900 = 215GH/250W, but they were from the pre-production run, maybe the end of Feb production run are better? I don't see any capacitors/polyfuses in your photos so assume that's what you have there? Wink

Nice review and photos. What camera are you using?
230/860mV = 226GH 279W 1.086W/GH 920MH/W

Are you sure that's right? What I got was...

230/860mV = 195GH 218W 1.12W/GH 894MH/W

maybe it was 900+mV?

Interesting,
I'll double check that on different devices and let you know

EDIT:
Device 1 seems OK:

Power consumption:
@Wall: 276W
-12%: 243W
Speed: 227GH/s
=> 1.07W/GH 934MH/W

Device 2 is NOT OK:
1st run 250W @WALL = 205GH no HW
2nd run 267W @WALL = 210GH with HW

It's just not stable at these settings, it runs fine at 260/1000 @wall 428W - 264GH/s -0 HW
*cgminer on tplink

best
2GOOD
Pages:
Jump to: