Pages:
Author

Topic: Testing old wallet.dats - page 2. (Read 1709 times)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0
September 05, 2017, 03:03:58 PM
hi guys, I´m Having the same problem. But on litecoin-qt old encrypted and formated wallet.dat (i recovered with Easeus)
Got my old Wallet.dat (72kb)

i installed Litecoin core, i run the updated chainblock. Pasted my old wallet in the AppData/user/roaming/litecoin
And it´s said "wallet corrupted Savaged failed.

I have all lost data recovered (src. daemon, qt blockchain) everything in my Pc.

I read some about Pywallet, but i dont know how to do it.

Please help. Thanks
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
September 05, 2017, 02:09:22 PM
Why does core create a new wallet file every time i insert a new wallet.dat and i end up with one named wallet and the one i inserted named wallet.dat.?
It can get confusing. Each time the core software runs it checks for a wallet.dat file. If one is not present it will make a new wallet and run that one. I rename all the wallets I work with then change the name back to wallet.dat when I put it in the bitcoin folder. Otherwise I risk overwriting a full wallet with an empty one.

if you use Winxx you should be able to find your hidden bitcoin folder by running
Code:
%appdata%
in the run box. If you are using Linux (which you should) you can find the .bitcoin folder by showing hidden files in your home folder.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. Why is it not attempting to use the wallet.dat file that i have inserted, at the very least it could say wallet corrupted.

Hmmm. It should. Are you sure it is the correct folder? It will be the one that core created the wallet.dat folder in. You will have to excuse my ignorance of windows, if that is what you are using. But I sort of recall that windows hides the folder with the wallet but displays another "bitcoin" folder.
Also make sure that the name is "wallet.dat". Anything else will be ignored. If it's corrupted I would expect an error, but maybe not?
Did that help?
Activity: 217
Merit: 109
September 05, 2017, 01:49:02 PM
Why does core create a new wallet file every time i insert a new wallet.dat and i end up with one named wallet and the one i inserted named wallet.dat.?
It can get confusing. Each time the core software runs it checks for a wallet.dat file. If one is not present it will make a new wallet and run that one. I rename all the wallets I work with then change the name back to wallet.dat when I put it in the bitcoin folder. Otherwise I risk overwriting a full wallet with an empty one.

if you use Winxx you should be able to find your hidden bitcoin folder by running
Code:
%appdata%
in the run box. If you are using Linux (which you should) you can find the .bitcoin folder by showing hidden files in your home folder.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the reply. Why is it not attempting to use the wallet.dat file that i have inserted, at the very least it could say wallet corrupted.
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
September 05, 2017, 01:43:05 PM

Code:
%appdata%

Hope this helps.
Activity: 80
Merit: 10
September 05, 2017, 01:27:43 PM
Remember to backup your wallet.dat's before diving deeper, many a wallet file I have killed due to testing, recovery and otherwise. They can be fickle things. #PrivKeysForLife
September 05, 2017, 12:19:33 PM
September 05, 2017, 08:52:04 AM
No, you only need to sync it to see the transactions. If you load it up and use "dumpwallet" you should be able to get all the addresses and keys straight away.

"salvagewallet" is a last ditch attempt to extract keys from a wallet... it is not recommended unless you have exhausted all other options of wallet recovery... as it can mess up a perfectly fine wallet.

So they won't show via file-addresses straightaway?, before sync?. Thanks.
HCP
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 4318
September 05, 2017, 08:40:34 AM
No, you only need to sync it to see the transactions. If you load it up and use "dumpwallet" you should be able to get all the addresses and keys straight away.

"salvagewallet" is a last ditch attempt to extract keys from a wallet... it is not recommended unless you have exhausted all other options of wallet recovery... as it can mess up a perfectly fine wallet.
September 05, 2017, 07:43:41 AM
Does it need to sync past 2013 to have the addresses?.
copper member
Activity: 2856
Merit: 3071
https://bit.ly/387FXHi lightning theory
September 05, 2017, 07:37:07 AM
I have 5 old wallet files from the middle of 2013 for bitcoin core. What is the best procedure for trying them out in the latest bitcoin core?.
Should I run salvagewallet straight away or not?, and do I have to let it sync before I can tell whether there are Btc in the wallet via addresses?. Also what is the original command if I want to run it in standard command after removing the salvagewallet command (i forgot what the original was!).  Thanks again for any help.

I think you should run it with the updatewallet command first.
Once you've done that, just look at the addresses and put them into a block explorer, such as: blockchain.info/address/yourAddress
And see if there's any balance in the addresses.

Running it in standard conditions is just running it normally.
September 05, 2017, 06:30:07 AM
I have 5 old wallet files from the middle of 2013 for bitcoin core. What is the best procedure for trying them out in the latest bitcoin core?.
Should I run salvagewallet straight away or not?, and do I have to let it sync before I can tell whether there are Btc in the wallet via addresses?. Also what is the original command if I want to run it in standard command after removing the salvagewallet command (i forgot what the original was!).  Thanks again for any help.
Pages:
Jump to: