Pages:
Author

Topic: Tether is centralized, is it worth holding - page 2. (Read 192 times)

Activity: 1024
Merit: 100
January 14, 2022, 09:17:32 AM
no, not worth hold, but still good enough to use. If you want to hold, I recommend using DAI, because stablecoins are more decentralized than tether. tether is only good to use not to hold funds for long, I've had some issues with their users in the past. and I don't want you to be one of them.
tyz
legendary
Activity: 3360
Merit: 1533
January 14, 2022, 09:14:25 AM
What do you think about tether company having the power or ability to freeze any USDT of their choice. Is it a good idea?

I would never hold Tether long term, only short term for exchanges. I believe that there is a lot wrong with Tether and that all issued coins are not really backed by USD. If the bomb goes off at some point, I don't want to own Tether.
Activity: 1722
Merit: 269
January 14, 2022, 09:06:29 AM
I have noticed USDT to be the dominant coin on exchanges and this help in having the highest marketcap of all the whole existing stable coins. I am thinking may be because tether is centralized has been the reason centralized exchanges have liked it because they are centralized too. Check this out, it is about a recent USDT that has been frozen by Tether company.

Tether freezes $150 million in USDT
https://shibastore.co/tether-freezes-150-million-in-usdt/

I am afraid one day tether is going to freeze my coin or anybody's coin, the reason the coin that was frozen this year was frozen has not be known but may be it is a good reason, but I am thinking not to use USDT ever again because it is centralized.

What do you think about tether company having the power or ability to freeze any USDT of their choice. Is it a good idea?

There have been discussions and arguments about USDT for at least a few months now regarding it's safety and other stuff. The mean reason for the concerns that many people are having with USDT is the fact that we can not be sure if every USDT that is minted is still really backed by a real USD anymore because back in 2019 they changed the wording regarding this very important factor. The official statement regarding this is now that they have enough reserves to cover every USDT minted, but nobody knows if those reserves really exist and no one knows what kind of reserves that they are talking about. I think though that most stablecoins are centralized.
Activity: 2282
Merit: 560
_""""Duelbits""""_
January 14, 2022, 08:20:21 AM
why hold on for a long time just for stable coins like this Cheesy
Maybe for short term trading as well as to avoid the current market which is very irregular this kind of thing can be done but for holding especially for the long term I don't think such thing is good and not worth holding on to.
it would be better to hold some potential alts instead of them.
Activity: 2842
Merit: 772
January 14, 2022, 08:05:52 AM
I thought this is an old story already.

And regarding the question, it is worth holding? just like other stable coins out there, it is not design to be hold for long term. I mean at least in my case I used it to hedge any of my crypto, but that's it. I will withdraw immediately. So obviously it is very centralized and has very shady people from behind as well.
legendary
Activity: 2506
Merit: 3645
January 14, 2022, 06:49:37 AM
Tether is a central currency for a while, and they also failed to prove that they are a pegged currency, meaning every existing dollar equals a dollar from the company, so that all their assets are less than 4%.

As a normal user, I don't expect your account to be frozen, but they can.

If you are afraid, there are some alternatives:

- USDC: It is centralized but better than Tether and is well listed in many exchanges.
 - DAI: Central currency but cannot be frozen and listed in some exchanges.
 - BUSD: many be better than Tether ?!
Activity: 2884
Merit: 579
Hire Bitcointalk Camp. Manager @ r7promotions.com
January 14, 2022, 06:39:20 AM
For holding, choose DAI.

But for short trades, it's okay IMHO.

You choose other stable coins if you don't like to hold Tether because of its centralization but most of these stable coins are the same except the others that are decentralized like DAI.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1149
https://bitcoincleanup.com/
January 14, 2022, 06:35:39 AM
It's common knowledge now that USDT is centralized. Worth holding? No. I only use it for short them trades. Fiat is no better but I would rather have it because I'd be dealing directly with my local bank than some private company (Tether) registered in another country.

legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1267
Lightning network is good with small amount of BTC
January 14, 2022, 05:19:29 AM
I have noticed USDT to be the dominant coin on exchanges and this help in having the highest marketcap of all the whole existing stable coins. I am thinking may be because tether is centralized has been the reason centralized exchanges have liked it because they are centralized too. Check this out, it is about a recent USDT that has been frozen by Tether company.

Tether freezes $150 million in USDT
https://shibastore.co/tether-freezes-150-million-in-usdt/

I am afraid one day tether is going to freeze my coin or anybody's coin, the reason the coin that was frozen this year was frozen has not be known but may be it is a good reason, but I am thinking not to use USDT ever again because it is centralized.

Pages:
Jump to: