Pages:
Author

Topic: Tether: We've onboarded FBI, Secret Service to our platform - page 2. (Read 177 times)

Activity: 1540
Merit: 564
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
This is a tricky situation wherein Tether is playing safe to stay away from the radar of regulators and it has a valid reason since these wallets were on the sanction list of Office of foreign assets and control but involving FBI and secret services is bit alarming and not because it makes it clear that in future government of US will be patronizing USDT, started with USDT but in future they can do the same to target any cohort of customer let's say if they make ban trading or even set some limit then once USDT has Bowes sown to them and they will do the same once again. I foresee downfall of Tether soon if this continues.
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
So I understand the FBI but why the secret service? Don’t they just deal with protecting the president. Why are they involved in cyber crimes involving crypto currencies.

Yeah this is scary but it might be more of a move to move bad people off their stable coin when they know It’s being watched by federal agents.

Wonder how much of its market cap is involved in these illegal activies? It approaching almost $100B.
Activity: 294
Merit: 274
I understand you are worried about whats happening with Tether and its work with the US government. The FBI (Federal Bureau of Investigation) and Secret Service getting involved and freezing wallets and controlling Tether tokens may make you wonder how much control the government has. But its important to know that Tether decided to disable tokens in wallets on the OFAC (Office of Foreign Assets and Controls) sanction list to follow the rules and stop illegal activities. Even though this collaboration might be concerning it's really important to find a balance between following regulations and keeping cryptocurrencies decentralized.
And Tether is not decentralized token it can be controlled in my point of view. There is the CEO of this company. The only one which is Bitcoin that don't have any CEO this is totally decentralized. Tokens like Tether can be controlled at any time. So in my point of view this is not a new thing.
If the Tether will depegg today so who will be safe here. So US is trying to control this.
Activity: 2492
Merit: 212
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

imagine having the FBI and Secret Service needing to approve your bitcoin wallet. That's what the USA government wishes could happen. Looks like they are getting their way with tether...which is kind of concerning that the USA government will now effectively control tether.

they say they did this for transparency but it seems like from now on the government can and will definitely have a look into different addresses containing usdt
will this affect their users? i feel like some would be ok with the idea of tether implementing a more secure system but on the other hand, the involvement of the government totally goes against the concept of crypto
Activity: 1036
Merit: 350
https://www.theblock.co/post/267973/tether-weve-onboarded-fbi-secret-service-to-our-platform

In the more recent letter, Tether CEO Paolo Ardoino, who recently took the helm of the company, emphasized Tether's recent decision to disable Tether's tokens in all wallets on the Office of Foreign Assets and Controls (OFAC) sanction list. Tether claims to have helped the Department of Justice, U.S. Secret Service, and Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) freeze 326 wallets controlling 435 million USDT so far, though its latest frozen wallets seemingly contain far fewer tokens than that sum.

imagine having the FBI and Secret Service needing to approve your bitcoin wallet. That's what the USA government wishes could happen. Looks like they are getting their way with tether...which is kind of concerning that the USA government will now effectively control tether.
Pages:
Jump to: