Pages:
Author

Topic: The best passphrase - page 3. (Read 698 times)

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 5213
April 04, 2022, 05:52:41 PM
I am think of the way to use the passphrase, which one is difficult to brute? By writing the words together and not give space in between, or by seperating the words?
There isn't really any difference.
A bitcoin private key provides 128 bits of entropy and there is no way to increase the security of your private key to more than 128 bits.

Let's say your seed phrase is compromised and the hacker needs to brute-force your passphrase to access your fund.
Whether you use space between the words or not, the entropy provided by your passphrase would be more than 128 bits. Even if the hacker knows that you have used a seed phrase generated by electrum as your passphrase, the entropy would be 132 bits which is still bigger than the entropy provided by a private key.
Activity: 333
Merit: 506
April 04, 2022, 03:39:28 PM
You're overthinking it.

There are things that matter a lot more. Are you connected to the internet while using your passphrase? How clean is your computer and network? Are you advertising on the internet that you have substantial value that can cause you to be target? Do you have backups?

The best passphrase that no one can guess is one that you can't guess. That has issues with you ending up broke through a lost piece. If you are putting substantial money into it, then you want to be able to recover it.

But if you really want to go down the rabbit hole, the best passphrase is one that isn't a passphrase. All bitcoin addresses are derived from 64 byte keys. 64 bytes can be anything, and that ends up being more possibilities than the atoms in the universe. It sounds like a clever person like you can find some very interesting ways to create keys, ways to lose your keys, or maybe even keep them safe in an interesting way.
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6205
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
April 04, 2022, 03:30:10 PM
The first thing that came into my mind when reading this is: it's overcomplicated, you may forget it in 5-10 years, if you are in trouble (brain damage, coma, ...) your family will have no chance to recover your coins.

Second, ... I may be wrong, but I don't think that such a long passphrase bring any benefits.

Third - everybody seems afraid of brute forcing, which happens rather seldom, while they forget to take care against 5$ wrench attacks and accidents/illnesses.
Activity: 868
Merit: 1094
April 04, 2022, 02:30:19 PM
I have been thinking of the best way of adding a passphrase to a wallet I want to create, but I do not know the passphrase I can use that will be impossible to brute force.

What comes to my mind is by generating a seed phrase which I will use as passphrase. Open electrum wallet, the wallet to create another seed phrase for me, add a passphrase to it which is the first seed phrase another wallet created for me.

The first seed phrase is my passphrase
The second seed phrase is my seed phrase
The second seed phrase and my passphrase (first seed phrase) create private keys and addresses for me which should be safer than just using a seed phrase without passphrase.

I am think of the way to use the passphrase, which one is difficult to brute? By writing the words together and not give space in between, or by seperating the words?

This should be a secure wallet if I do not have the seed phrase backup together with the passphrase but differently. I am thinking if seed phrase with space is secure enough, it should also secure if used as passphrase?

Is there others ways to have a more secure passphrase in a way the world would have extinct before anyone can brute force it.
Pages:
Jump to: