Pages:
Author

Topic: The Bitcoin Cold War has begun - page 2. (Read 3678 times)

donator
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
Let's talk governance, lipstick, and pigs.
August 04, 2014, 06:51:20 PM
Banning things that cannot be actually regulated makes them more popular.

Prohibition anyone?

Heroin in the middle east?
Murder, Plutonium, singing "My Way" at karaoke. There are things that *should* be illegal, though they are still popular.
Activity: 1492
Merit: 763
Life is a taxable event
August 04, 2014, 05:58:09 PM
Banning things that cannot be actually regulated makes them more popular.

Prohibition anyone?

Heroin in the middle east?
Activity: 42
Merit: 0
August 04, 2014, 05:43:40 PM
We defo live in a really intereting time period regarding the struggle of world finance.
I would love to see traditional banks struggle and close. This would be good for consumers in the sense that most banks are predators.

They push debt on everyone and discourage savings.
What happened in Argentina, with banks seizing fiat currency in peoples accounts...truly unbelievable.

The global decentralization of money is simply the cornerstone of true freedom.
Activity: 798
Merit: 500
Time is on our side, yes it is!
August 04, 2014, 05:21:46 PM
As long as the bank are to big to fail there will be bitcoin waiting  and winning.  You can take that to the bank and yes pun intended
donator
August 04, 2014, 12:23:44 PM
I am looking forward to the day when interplanetary trade becomes a factor. ... interplanetary traders ... will insist on cryptocurrencies as payment.

Bitcoin won't work in that scenario. It takes a radio signal between 4 minutes (which might be alright) to 24 minutes (won't work) to travel from Earth to Mars, depending on each planet's position on its trip around the sun. We'd need some other currency with a longer block time, or we'd need to deal with an overwhelming proportion of double spends.
He was talking about science fiction.
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1640
lose: unfind ... loose: untight
August 04, 2014, 12:09:33 PM
I am looking forward to the day when interplanetary trade becomes a factor. ... interplanetary traders ... will insist on cryptocurrencies as payment.

Bitcoin won't work in that scenario. It takes a radio signal between 4 minutes (which might be alright) to 24 minutes (won't work) to travel from Earth to Mars, depending on each planet's position on its trip around the sun. We'd need some other currency with a longer block time, or we'd need to deal with an overwhelming proportion of double spends.
donator
August 04, 2014, 11:32:10 AM
I am looking forward to the day when interplanetary trade becomes a factor. I'm kinda writing a science fiction story based on the idea that interplanetary traders will have very little patience for the old moribund financial systems of Earth and will insist on cryptocurrencies as payment. They'll kinda force the issue of over-regulation and Earth will face a choice between giving up the old systems to allow cryptocurrencies free rein or facing economic collapse.
I've thought a lot about that myself. Entangled wallets and quantum ASIC Dyson Sphere mining. Bitcoin can be a universal peace dividend.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
August 04, 2014, 11:24:48 AM
I am looking forward to the day when interplanetary trade becomes a factor. I'm kinda writing a science fiction story based on the idea that interplanetary traders will have very little patience for the old moribund financial systems of Earth and will insist on cryptocurrencies as payment. They'll kinda force the issue of over-regulation and Earth will face a choice between giving up the old systems to allow cryptocurrencies free rein or facing economic collapse.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
https://youtu.be/PZm8TTLR2NU
August 04, 2014, 11:20:49 AM
There were a ton of winners in the cold war - everyone alive who had a hot war prevented.
QFT, and a great analogy for Bitcoin. Everyone alive is a winner, even if you still have 0 BTC when it hits 100,000 $ / bitcoin.

Everyone is a winner because bitcoin is the end of nation-state sovereignty, and therefore the end of nation-state violence.

This is about more than money - it's about life.
legendary
Activity: 2100
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
August 04, 2014, 11:01:37 AM
Interesting post, cbeast.  I enjoyed reading it. 

Bravo to the OP, for a great post.  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 4018
Merit: 1299
August 04, 2014, 10:13:12 AM
There were a ton of winners in the cold war - everyone alive who had a hot war prevented.

In the coldwar there were no winners.

In this war, there will be a winner, just not sure yet who it will be.
Activity: 66
Merit: 10
August 04, 2014, 10:10:07 AM
I don't really see how this countries can stop Bitcoin.
Bitcoin is virtual currency, not paper, so they can't control it directly.
They can try to control Internet but this is very different story.
I think they don't like Bitcoin because they can't control it, can't collect taxes, check how much their citizens earned from it etc.
So, in this war they can't win, for sure Smiley

They can't control bitcoin, just people trying to legitiamtely use it through exchnages etc. I don't think they can even controll the internet though. There's always ways around censorship.
Activity: 51
August 04, 2014, 10:05:30 AM
China bans Bitcoin, then unbans, then bans. Then Argentina, Russia, Bolivia and New York do the same. At first the Bitcoin market reacted wildly, now not so much. Bitcoin is the economic battlefield of this century. Sovereigns are finding that simple denial won't make the blockchain go away. They want to do what governments do, and that is to regulate. Bitcoin says otherwise.

Sure governments can slow down adoption by banning its public use, but they are finding that more progressive nations are using that as an opportunity to gain advantage in the technology. Then comes the escalation. Oppressive regimes begin a series of doublespeak where they welcome Bitcoin, but attempt to undermine its development through propaganda. They allow banks to set government policy thinking it is in the best interest of the nation. None of them realize that Bitcoin was developed for people, not institutions.

The war will continue to escalate. More bans and more regulations will break the news, but meanwhile governments will be accumulating bitcoins because they know how the endgame is played. They know their power is threatened by Bitcoin and will tear each other apart over how to take that power. They will also tear themselves apart with internal power struggles.

This is just silly. The war analogy may appeal to the legacy financial system and Tsun Tsu fans, but Bitcoin is beyond the reach of those anachronistic social phenomena. Math is for everyone. It's not a weapon to be manipulated by bullies. This is the opportunity to develop decentralized lending and commerce. It's also the time to develop tools that can be used by the lowliest and poorest amongst us. The endgame is that Bitcoin is power. Let's make sure that power is decentralized and accessible to all.

banks is a slow heavy structure. It's hard to get really new concept of cryptocurrency.

I think the real purpose of banning is not "kill" Bitcoin just get some more time to rebuild their own structure. May be few years later there will be some banks in Bitcoin world.
legendary
Activity: 3374
Merit: 1824
August 04, 2014, 09:54:41 AM
I don't really see how this countries can stop Bitcoin.
Bitcoin is virtual currency, not paper, so they can't control it directly.
They can try to control Internet but this is very different story.
I think they don't like Bitcoin because they can't control it, can't collect taxes, check how much their citizens earned from it etc.
So, in this war they can't win, for sure Smiley

Activity: 406
Merit: 250
August 04, 2014, 09:36:55 AM
I think it is sort of a cold war. As bit coin saps more of their power the attacks on it will grow. People will panic and we will see bear markets followed by bubbles followed by bear markets. We like to think we will see a triumphant march to dominance but they won't give up their power willingly.
donator
August 04, 2014, 08:54:12 AM
"Bitcoin is the economic battlefield of this century"

I want some of what you're smoking on.

"They want to do what governments do, and that is to regulate. Bitcoin says otherwise."

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know it was the governments duty to govern. What bitcoin says, about 99.99% of the worlds population, at this point, does not care about.

Missed the boat, huh? It's not too late. Maybe you should stop smoking and pay attention.

"They know their power is threatened by Bitcoin and will tear each other apart over how to take that power. They will also tear themselves apart with internal power struggles."

You think they could build PRISM, but not decimate what you consider to be the bitcoin network in a heartbeat, if they really wanted to?

"Let's make sure that power is decentralized and accessible to all."

And this is where you lose it. Posts like this are the reason people are moving away from bitcoin much faster than they are coming. Get some fresh air, kid.
PRISM is a joke. Ask Snowden. If they could have destroyed Bitcoin either they would have sometime in the last 5 years or they can't. Maybe you think they don't know about it yet? Maybe this is why people are moving into Bitcoin faster than they are leaving.
Activity: 28
August 04, 2014, 08:49:07 AM
"They know their power is threatened by Bitcoin and will tear each other apart over how to take that power. They will also tear themselves apart with internal power struggles."

You think they could build PRISM, but not decimate what you consider to be the bitcoin network in a heartbeat, if they really wanted to?

"Let's make sure that power is decentralized and accessible to all."

And this is where you lose it. Posts like this are the reason people are moving away from bitcoin much faster than they are coming. Get some fresh air, kid.
Activity: 28
August 04, 2014, 08:47:33 AM
"Bitcoin is the economic battlefield of this century"

I want some of what you're smoking on.

"They want to do what governments do, and that is to regulate. Bitcoin says otherwise."

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't know it was the governments duty to govern. What bitcoin says, about 99.99% of the worlds population, at this point, does not care about.
Activity: 14
August 04, 2014, 05:09:42 AM
Bitcoin will win the war!
For sure Cheesy
Activity: 147
Merit: 100
August 04, 2014, 04:55:16 AM
It looks like the Bitcoin manifesto
Pages:
Jump to: