Pages:
Author

Topic: The Bitcoin consensus mechanism is incorrectly labeled Proof of Work - page 2. (Read 4304 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
The number of delegates won't be fixed.. Hence why I posted about the n delegate model and how it prevents top down corrupt entities from retaining control within the voting framework. N is determined dynamically in the same way. I believe min is 101 and there is a max number that isn't outrageous.

You are correct (I didn't understand your earlier post), the number of delegates is set by stake holder voting, and I haven't analyzed the effect of that structure. As TPTB says, as these systems get more complex the game theory becomes increasingly impractical to analyze.

At first glance it seems dangerous to me since a large malicious stakeholder now has an additional degree of freedom, namely "pack the court" (or perhaps, depending on the specific voting rules, blocking an increase supported by others). But as I said it is extremely difficulty to analyze.

Anyway, this is irrelevant to the question whether it is proper to consider Bitcoin as "Delegated PoW" just because right now, in 2015, most miners happen to delegate. But honestly is that even true by hash rate?

Of the large "pools" Ant, Bitfury, KnC, 21, and maybe some others are certainly running a lot of their own mining gear (though these pools may have independent miners too, in unknown amounts). That's concentrated mining power for sure, but it's not really delegated.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1005
It consumes less electricity.

Miners or delegates or validators or whatever will expend resources only to the extent justified by transaction processing profit margin, which delegates in DPoS will also do. In fact DPoS may well have high profit margins because the number of delegates is fixed, making it a closed market.

So perhaps less electricity, but if so then more resources expended on something else (politics most likely).

(This assumes that the coin distribution phase of Bitcoin is over or insignificant, which must be done to meaningfully compare with DPoS since DPoS is incapable of distributing coins at all.)

Since I already argued that one can't mine with lower economies-of-scale without losing hash rate share over time

I don't agree with your argument that your argument is conclusive. You need to show that economies of scale are net positive at the economically relevant scale, which depends greatly on many undetermined factors.

The number of delegates won't be fixed.. Hence why I posted about the n delegate model and how it prevents top down corrupt entities from retaining control within the voting framework. N is determined dynamically in the same way. I believe min is 101 and there is a max number that isn't outrageous.
legendary

Miners or delegates or validators or whatever will expend resources only to the extent justified by transaction processing profit margin, which delegates in DPoS will also do. In fact DPoS may well have high profit margins because the number of delegates is fixed, making it a closed market.

So perhaps less electricity, but if so then more resources expended on something else (politics most likely).

(This assumes that the coin distribution phase of Bitcoin is over or insignificant, which must be done to meaningfully compare with DPoS since DPoS is incapable of distributing coins at all.)

Since I already argued that one can't mine with lower economies-of-scale without losing hash rate share over time

I don't agree with your argument that your argument is conclusive. You need to show that economies of scale are net positive at the economically relevant scale, which depends greatly on many undetermined factors.

legendary
Consider the analogy of a parking garage in a very convenient location (say right next to a popular theater) when there is free parking available a short to moderate distance away compared to the situation with the same garage but no free parking available at all. In the first case, the garage may charge only a nominal fee and nearly everyone (or conceivably everyone) might pay it for more convenient access to the theater. In the second case, the garage will charge the maximum fee possible until people stop going to the theater at all.

Except as your analogy applies to Satoshi's proof-of-work design, then the free parking is not accessible by anyone who has a car because it is on the top of a skyscraper[1]. The only people who can access this free parking must either have a helicopter or they must pool their resources to buy one.

You are confusing miners and users. Perhaps they could be the same, but they need not be. (Indeed satoshi's original design more explicitly divides the two than current thinking among many prominent Bitcoin developers.)

r0ach's claim was that pooling of mining in practice makes the consensus system of Bitcoin inherently delegated, but that is false because miners need not pool, and certainly need not pool with one of a fixed set or even a fixed-size set of pools. Thus this is different in structure from a system where delegation is required. (It is true if you posit that Bitcoin will certainly be 51% attacked, as I think you believe but can't prove, and turned into a centrally-controlled system instead, where pools or whatever they are they are called in that outcome enforce membership, but then why bother with the delegation argument, just show that this is certainly true and prove Bitcoin useless unconditionally.)

I specifically doubt that the outcomes will be the same in a system with permitted delegation to an open set of delegates (pools) as opposed to a system with required delegation to a fixed size set of delegates. But if r0ach wants to try to prove the same outcome in his war game model, he is welcome to do so, and I will read his proof with interest. Unfortunately if he does that, then he will show no advantage to DPoS over PoW, which undermines his original argument.

For his original argument to hold he has to show both that the distribution-of-power outcome is different between delegates in DPoS and pools in "delegatable PoW" and that the DPoS outcome is (in some specified way) preferable.

Voting makes dpos preferable
Activity: 420
Merit: 262
Smooth, you've constructed an elaborate strawman.

I claim the entire purpose of crypto-currency is a) permission-less commerce and b) decentralized control to prevent gaming the control over the issuance of money (so it can scale globally among other benefits).

Since I already argued that one can't mine with lower economies-of-scale without losing hash rate share over time, then the ability to mine or not mine in any specific pool is irrelevant to homeostasis of the case #b.

So that leaves us only with #a remaining as it pertains to pools.

QED.

For his original argument to hold he has to show both that the distribution-of-power outcome is different between delegates in DPoS and pools in "delegatable PoW" and that the DPoS outcome is (in some specified way) preferable.

Fact is that mining will become ever more centralized in Satoshi's design because of the economies-of-scale of ASICs and electrical power. I believe there was maybe even a research paper that proved something along these lines?

The fundamental problem is the mining is done for profit. For as long as that is the case, ASIC farms (or Larry Summers' 21 Inc. economies-of-scale) and subsidized, industrial/government/utility scale electricity will rule.

Also due to bandwidth issues and that every full mining node has to validate every transaction, scaling transaction volume will force centralization.

Also your argument about sacrificing cost is nonsense, because the low cost leader will take hash rate from the others over time by reinvesting higher rates of return.

Edit: Smooth has a valid point if no entity (or collusion of entities) has 51% of the hash rate because then someone could sacrifice mining losses in return for censorship resistant way to post transactions to the block chain. So in that sense, my word "nonsense" is incorrect and I apologize. But the huge glaring flaw is that once the State can regulate 51% of the mining power (which is destined to be centralized), then Smooth's caveat no longer applies. And this is my overriding concern, so that is why I often downplay this caveat that smooth points out.

Edit#2: however if hashrate is very large then smooth's caveat is really pointless because who has enough hash rate to push their transaction onto to the block chain without a pool. And again Satoshi's design doesn't enforce that pools must allow getblocktemplate. If your hashrate is not too small, you can just mine on any pool that offers getblocktemplate and wait a long time until you win a block solution to insert your transaction, or just mine a long time solo. Many could potentially join together to pool their resources to mine at a loss to have ready access to censorship resistance, but unless you are using P2Pool (which can be attacked with share withholding attacks) then the State might target your pool server (but again I think it is easier for them to just target 51% of the hash rate for regulation requiring all transactions to carry KYC, since you might place your server behind an anonymity network although this will be very difficult to do in Satoshi's design because of the bandwidth requirements).
legendary
Consider the analogy of a parking garage in a very convenient location (say right next to a popular theater) when there is free parking available a short to moderate distance away compared to the situation with the same garage but no free parking available at all. In the first case, the garage may charge only a nominal fee and nearly everyone (or conceivably everyone) might pay it for more convenient access to the theater. In the second case, the garage will charge the maximum fee possible until people stop going to the theater at all.

Except as your analogy applies to Satoshi's proof-of-work design, then the free parking is not accessible by anyone who has a car because it is on the top of a skyscraper[1]. The only people who can access this free parking must either have a helicopter or they must pool their resources to buy one.

You are confusing miners and users. Perhaps they could be the same, but they need not be. (Indeed satoshi's original design more explicitly divides the two than current thinking among many prominent Bitcoin developers.)

r0ach's claim was that pooling of mining in practice makes the consensus system of Bitcoin inherently delegated, but that is false because miners need not pool, and certainly need not pool with one of a fixed set or even a fixed-size set of pools. Thus this is different in structure from a system where delegation is required. (It is true if you posit that Bitcoin will certainly be 51% attacked, as I think you believe but can't prove, and turned into a centrally-controlled system instead, where pools or whatever they are they are called in that outcome enforce membership, but then why bother with the delegation argument, just show that this is certainly true and prove Bitcoin useless unconditionally.)

I specifically doubt that the outcomes will be the same in a system with permitted delegation to an open set of delegates (pools) as opposed to a system with required delegation to a fixed size set of delegates. But if r0ach wants to try to prove the same outcome in his war game model, he is welcome to do so, and I will read his proof with interest. Unfortunately if he does that, then he will show no advantage to DPoS over PoW, which undermines his original argument.

Activity: 420
Merit: 262

Myopic blind spots like this smooth cause us to waste time in discussion.

[1] Because the hashrate needed to win a block any time within this century is inaccessible to your average person sending a transaction to the network.
legendary

'delegated' means you must delegate, you cannot mine yourself.  That's the idea of trusted super node systems like bitshares.

Not even going to comment on that since I don't think you read or understand anything in this thread.

Ooops... I meant DPOS. 

Sorry, blame Friday.

No.. Do more reading please
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

'delegated' means you must delegate, you cannot mine yourself.  That's the idea of trusted super node systems like bitshares.

Not even going to comment on that since I don't think you read or understand anything in this thread.

Ooops... I meant DPOS. 

Sorry, blame Friday.

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
As for your naming idea, I'd agree with Delegatable PoW.

I guess if you want to be really picky, in the real world we can probably prove that given a system with finite, contested resources, and sample size of 4 or higher, hell, why not 3 or 2, that over time, delegation of authority will occurr, or failure to do so will result in death of said participants as they compete for these resources.  From that you can probably extrapolate it will be cascading delegation until failure of distributed consensus.  Then we can be more specific and call it "delegated proof of work until cascading failure of distributed consensus."

In case you didn't notice, Bitcoin is an experimental war game exercise.  War is the ultimate consensus mechanism where the winner takes all and the loser dies.  The delegators in Bitcoin, which are the participants of the war, are currently wild, uncontrolled, unaddressed variables.  Each time one of them delegates vote power to another, you're essentially having a war casualty.  The only way to address this cascading failure of distributed consensus, is to either implement the Andrew Miller non-outsourcable problem to prevent them from delegating at all, or to make all participants immortal via a deterministic block validator set such as DPoS.  These are the only two options to move forward.

I believe the Andrew Miller solution would lose once released to compete with the deterministic block validator set in the wild.  Have you ever heard of the term "convergent evolution"?  This is what's used to describe how eyeballs form on different evolutionary paths that aren't related to one another.  The convergent evolution in this case would be deterministic block validators occuring in things like DPoS and Darkcoin independently even though both are completely different systems.

related post:  Why War is Good

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/why-war-is-good-1162791

'delegated' means you must delegate, you cannot mine yourself.  That's the idea of trusted super node systems like bitshares.

legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1004
Core dev leaves me neg feedback #abuse #political

legendary
The argument against my statement, is that as long as you can opt out of delegation, even only one person out of six billion choosing to solo mine with a trivial hashrate, then my statement would be false.

Since you posted on the other thread that this is a reply to my comment, I'll point out that was not my argument. My argument was that as long as the option to opt out of delegation exists, the power of pools is limited, even if no one solo mines in practice.

As for your naming idea, I'd agree with Delegatable PoW. Since the protocol does not require or enforce the delegation (nor does it prohibit it) of block creation, that is the more correct form of the word.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
I would argue the current Bitcoin consensus mechanism is "Delegated Proof of Work".

See my quote below from another thread for how this got started:

A common complaint of DPoS is that it can't be decentralized because it has the word "delegated" in the title, yet anyone mining with a pool in PoW is doing the exact same thing.  Satoshi made the claim of one CPU, one vote, yet you're delegating your vote to the pool owner in PoW pool mining.  Some argue you are not delegating in PoW because you can solo mine.  While this statement would be technically correct, the miniscule portion of the Bitcoin userbase able to do so makes it functionally infeasible.  It's only a question of what percent of the hash rate is being delegated at any given time.

I would make the argument that for the Bitcoin devs to not be misrepresenting how the system actually functions, one of the following actions would have to be taken:

A)  Rename the consensus mechanism to Delegated Proof of Work

B)  Implement the Andrew Miller non-outsourcable problem fix in a hard fork

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/a-non-outsourceable-puzzle-to-prevent-hosted-mining-and-mining-pools-309073

The argument against my statement, is that as long as you can opt out of delegation, even only one person out of six billion choosing to solo mine with a trivial hashrate, then my statement would be false.  This argument doesn't make sense because ever since the first pool was created, I can now always opt out of direct proof of work, and choose to only delegate my vote.  Both choices are represented equally.  The Bitcoin protocol does not guard against my action without the Andrew Miller fork.

The other problem with leaving the system as is, is the majority of the community, probably including most Bitcoin devs, claim that PoW is the only known, secure consensus mechanism.  Delegation and direct voting (PoW) are represented as equal choices, yet are two completely different things.  If you claim that only one person out of six billion can be solo mining with a trivial hash rate, while everyone else is delegating (pool mining) and still be secure, you're endorsing delegation as secure by default.  At that point, there would be no reason to use PoW at all over a better engineered delegation system, unless you demand a specific origin of money school of thought until all coins have been mined.  After they have been mined, that part is out of the equation.

For the detractors that try to claim this is all semantics, I would say it's the exact opposite.  If you incorrectly define what the current system is, and what it's actually doing, it makes it extremely hard to define what type of changes can be done to improve it.
Pages:
Jump to: