Pages:
Author

Topic: The Bitcoin deflation annoyance - page 3. (Read 4031 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1008
October 25, 2011, 04:18:53 PM
(1) the prices of things will be constantly changing since the currency will keep deflating
Just set your prices relative to something else you find desirable (or perhaps your input costs) and let software do the updating for you.
Activity: 338
Merit: 253
October 25, 2011, 04:14:58 PM
This has been talked about extensively, and you are not alone in your opinion. However I would personally have no interest in a currency with such controls. I prefer to think of BTC like gold. With a fixed supply and a variable demand.

Gold does not have a fixed supply. Over 2,000 tonnes are mined every year, increasing the supply by at least 1% annually if not more.
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276
October 25, 2011, 04:14:08 PM
Despite the current trend of Bitcoins losing value against the dollar I think long term the greater annoyance is going to be a constant rise in value. As more crypto currency is used its value will increase and since the quantity of coins is limited at 21 million the value of each coin will keep increasing. This will be annoying for two reasons:

(1) the prices of things will be constantly changing since the currency will keep deflating

price volatility is hardly an unheard of phenomenon in any currency system.

(2) we will be dealing in decimal units. Quoting ridiculous prices like BC0.000013 or whatever will be very annoying and a lot of invoicing systems are not designed to handle cents values below 1/100

They can adapt or die.  It isn't rocket science.  Indeed, having decimal places already makes the jump that much easier.  It's not like (most) people are forced into using base-e or something.

I think ultimately we will have to make a competing client that breaks the 21 million limit and uses a more practical value scale and rate of inflation.
The more the merrier in my opinion.  People can choose which one suites them and exchanges can do a good business automatically adjusting for people so they won't need to care that much, though they could save the exchange fee by operating within their chosen block-chain.  My hope is mostly that each alternate chain is backed by value in the 'satoshi block-chain'.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1023
Democracy is the original 51% attack
October 25, 2011, 04:12:14 PM

That's true of the US Dollar as well, but instead of the money losing purchasing power it will gain purchasing power. The rate of change will be driven lower by speculators long term (if everyone knows Bitcoins will rise in price, speculators will buy them, rising the price in the present). Over time, you will see a gradual, relatively predictable price and its annoyance for repricing goods should not be overwhelming. How many times per day does Wal Mart change the price on a good in their store? It's no great burden.

(2) we will be dealing in decimal units. Quoting ridiculous prices like BC0.000013 or whatever will be very annoying and a lot of invoicing systems are not designed to handle cents values below 1/100

Have some foresight!  A name will be given to smaller units. Perhaps the .00000001 unit will be called the Satoshi (seems to be catching on). In such a case where BTC is extremely valuable, your coffee will simply be "5.30 satoshis".   Nomenclature is a non-issue, the market will easily figure out efficient naming schemes.

I think ultimately we will have to make a competing client that breaks the 21 million limit and uses a more practical value scale and rate of inflation.

Go for it. I won't be buying it.  
legendary
Activity: 3066
Merit: 1147
The revolution will be monetized!
October 25, 2011, 04:05:10 PM
This has been talked about extensively, and you are not alone in your opinion. However I would personally have no interest in a currency with such controls. I prefer to think of BTC like gold. With a fixed supply and a variable demand.
Activity: 338
Merit: 253
October 25, 2011, 03:58:36 PM
Despite the current trend of Bitcoins losing value against the dollar I think long term the greater annoyance is going to be a constant rise in value. As more crypto currency is used its value will increase and since the quantity of coins is limited at 21 million the value of each coin will keep increasing. This will be annoying for two reasons:

Pages:
Jump to: