Pages:
Author

Topic: The current Paypal / Ebay fiasco - page 3. (Read 3775 times)

Activity: 40
Merit: 0
August 30, 2011, 01:58:57 PM
Until they use a system like BitMarket i think it will never work on ebay directly.

Maybe we should setup a Paypal/ Google Checkout system but just for BTC?
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
August 30, 2011, 01:43:21 PM
Hopefully before you sent the BTC?

Problem is then you get a bunch of chargebacks and paypal will get on your ass.  I have stopped
selling bitcoins on ebay it's just a mess, even with my idea of selling a physical book that must be received with a special code to get the "free" included coins, almost all the bidders are hacked accounts because they are willing to outbid normal real people in hopes you will just send the BTC.

It's a shame because there is a real lucrative market but it is being outdone by hackers.

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
August 29, 2011, 12:06:03 PM
I tried to sell on Ebay twice & two people bought my stuff with Hacked accounts. But eBay canceled both of them.
Activity: 893
Merit: 250
August 29, 2011, 11:32:09 AM
You don't have to go to Ebay/Paypal to find scammers.  Scammers find you even on this forum.  Good luck.
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
August 29, 2011, 10:25:49 AM
In an earlier thread, it was indicated that Ebay was pulling BTC listings - they are no longer doing that, they are allowing them, but it doesn't really matter since the risk is far too great even though there are many honest newbie buyers who wish to purchase bitcoins at a premium on ebay, there are more frauds than honest people, and feedback doesn't help.

Paypal ALWAYS sides on the side of the buyer, so the current scam is to brute force hack accounts on ebay and buy up bitcoins.  Since the bitcoin transfer is NON reversible, after the honest btc seller on ebay gets the paypal money and sends the bitcoins, the non honest paypal / ebay user then says "oh my account was hacked! Sure, some accounts were hacked... and many were not - but they go on a btc buying spree to LOOK like they were hacked fully knowing that paypal will reverse the charges.

So person goes bitcoin buying spree, the tells ebay/paypal (same company) "oh no I was hacked"
Person now has all the bitcoins, and gets their money back. Seller of bitcoins is screwed.

BTC seller is f&#ked because A> paypal ALWAYS sides with the buyer. B> bitcoins are long gone and you are out of luck and they just take the money right out of your account and may even freeze it.  Ebay was originally pulling bitcoin listings but it appears they are allowing it now, but almost ALL the buyers are scammers either hacking the account or pretending to be hacked.

EVEN if you sell a physical item with the bitcoins, and say mail a piece of paper to the address that is a Bitcoin instruction booklet and get confirmed delivery - and in that booklet you include a unique phrase that must be emailed to you for the person to receive the BTC (as a bonus) you are selling the book, it seems paypal doesn't care.

Pages:
Jump to: