Pages:
Author

Topic: The DAO Disaster Illustrates Differing Philosophies in Bitcoin and Ethereum - page 2. (Read 1812 times)

legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
I guess everyone has forgotten about block 74638, when somebody following the consensus rules created 184 billion BTC. A hard fork was done in order to undo those transactions.
Everyone including you, it seems. It was a soft fork (which didn't specifically target any particular transaction, it just fixed the overflow bug).

You are correct. It wasn't a hard fork, but that is not really the point.

The claim is that Bitcoin and Ethereum are different because Bitcoin transactions would never be undone in order to fix something that people feel is an exploit. Yet, it has been done.

A 51% attack against Bitcoin was successfully executed with a client that enforced new consensus rules in order to undo transactions that were valid under the current consensus rules.

You feel that there was a "bug" in the consensus rules that needed to be fixed, just as people now feel that there is a bug in the DAO contract that needs to be fixed. It all looks the same to me.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
I disagree.

I guess everyone has forgotten about block 74638, when somebody following the consensus rules created 184 billion BTC. A hard fork and a 51% attack were orchestrated by the Bitcoin developers in order to undo those transactions.

technically it was not an hard fork, read maxwell about the matter

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.15301988

there was never an hard fork for bitcoin, which explain why they don't want to do the 2MB thing...
Activity: 699
Merit: 501
I guess everyone has forgotten about block 74638, when somebody following the consensus rules created 184 billion BTC. A hard fork was done in order to undo those transactions.
Everyone including you, it seems. It was a soft fork (which didn't specifically target any particular transaction, it just fixed the overflow bug).

So we have a scenario where a bug is fixed & little else happened, and one (etheurem) where the bug probably still exists & a hard fork took place. Whats the value of etheruem, if security is not put first? I'm still wondering what's more important to them - Securing the protocol, or securing funds from/for potential monetary investment sources.
legendary
Activity: 994
Merit: 1000
If eth doesn't change how dampps will work in future that is not in mainchain they should maintain different chain for damps built on ETH just like lisk. If they don't change this than may be in future another DAO like damps with some vulnerability may force eth again to have hard forked.
legendary
Activity: 4494
Merit: 3178
Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023
legendary
Activity: 977
Bitcoin would hard fork if the encryption protocol was broken tomorrow and everyone's coins ended up in one address. So no, the philosophies aren't the problem. It's the people who manage it. Whether it be 1, 2, 10 or 10 billion people.

??

BTC would not hard-fork if you mistakenly sent $100mill to the wrong address (The GOX funds).

ETH is hard-forking because they sent $100mil to the wrong address (The DAO address).

There is a big difference in the philosophies.

No, ETH did not send 100 mill to the wrong address. That's not the case, and you know it.

essentially the problem is that funds ended up in the wrong place. which caused them to hard fork. I really don't see any integrity in etheruem after this, which would never have happened on bitcoins blockchain. Lets take MtGox as an example.

Add "due to an exploit" somewhere in the first sentence.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1088
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
Well the point about alts is to experiment with new things. Ether tried the whole "contract in the code" thing and found it didn't really work when there are flaws in both the contract and the code. A valuable lesson learned by everyone.
Activity: 699
Merit: 501
Bitcoin would hard fork if the encryption protocol was broken tomorrow and everyone's coins ended up in one address. So no, the philosophies aren't the problem. It's the people who manage it. Whether it be 1, 2, 10 or 10 billion people.

??

BTC would not hard-fork if you mistakenly sent $100mill to the wrong address (The GOX funds).

ETH is hard-forking because they sent $100mil to the wrong address (The DAO address).

No, ETH did not send 100 mill to the wrong address. That's not the case, and you know it.

essentially the problem is that funds ended up in the wrong place. which caused them to hard fork. I really don't see any integrity in etheruem after this, which would never have happened on bitcoins blockchain. Lets take MtGox as an example.
legendary
Activity: 4438
Merit: 3387
I disagree.

I guess everyone has forgotten about block 74638, when somebody following the consensus rules created 184 billion BTC. A hard fork and a 51% attack were orchestrated by the Bitcoin developers in order to undo those transactions.
legendary

??

Activity: 718
Merit: 545

??

legendary
legendary
Activity: 2436
Merit: 1561

ETH is still on very early stage, I wouldn't say this hard fork indicates different philosophy. Bitcoin has also been hardforked at the beginning to fix vulnerabilities.
Pages:
Jump to: