Pages:
Author

Topic: The easiest way to know a scam airdrop - page 2. (Read 537 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 100
December 05, 2017, 06:23:08 PM
Even if they don't ask for anything particular. They will get your personnal data and use it against you. It will be very hard to detect. If they don't launch their token it's clearly a sign that they just want your data. But there is so many airdrop, you have to subscribe a lot to earn a little bit.

How much is your personal information worth?  Email, IP address public wallet addresses, social media accounts etc.  They may ask you to download software which may contain malware.  I have participated in the past.  I am much more wary now.
Activity: 504
Merit: 251
December 05, 2017, 05:55:06 PM
to be honest i think more than fifty percent of the airdrops that i participated in are scams but if the form of the airdrops asked you for your wallet key than beware this is definitely a hacking attempt.
Activity: 2156
Merit: 506
#SWGT PRE-SALE IS LIVE
December 05, 2017, 05:53:26 PM
The following are some of the easiest way to figure out a scam airdrop
1. They will ask you to donate
2. They will ask for your private key

Feel free to add yours in case there are many more.
Best regards and happy airdrop chase.
That's an obvious way of scamming airdroppers and I don't know if someone will still fall with this scheme. Those newbies must not take part of it and should be warned about those scam airdrops. They are the most vulnerable people that will not aware if airdrops are asking these things. Most of airdrops too are just collecting information materials so I don't try on it anymore.
Activity: 644
Merit: 102
December 05, 2017, 05:51:47 PM
Scam airdrops do not have excel spreadsheet for confirmation after registration . They do not also  have white paper and websites
Activity: 594
Merit: 250
December 05, 2017, 05:50:53 PM

Sorry but all airdrops are totally shit for me, because most of the member for a couple of months ago actually there are many of them that has been hacked their account to their mew, because of giving their information in joining in any form of airdrops programs by the information to their applicants like private key and eth address and email.
Activity: 196
Merit: 22
Las Vegas
December 05, 2017, 05:37:02 PM

HERE ARE SOME BIG ONES!

They don't link to a website on the google doc.
They have no website to link to.
They use images they found in google for social media profile pics.
They misspell every other word in their airdrop form.
They forget to ask you for your eth address to send the airdrop to.
Activity: 714
Merit: 160
December 05, 2017, 05:20:35 PM

a scam airdrop always give your a simple information about this project in their thread without roadmap and whitepaper
they also require you to donate before you can participate in their airdrop program

Activity: 350
December 05, 2017, 04:37:50 PM

etin06, if someone ask you a private key - it's not a scam, it's already a fraud.
Activity: 238
December 05, 2017, 04:22:53 PM
If you give your private key just because they ask, you deserve to be robbed. Maybe they do you a favor because clearly you can't be trusted with your own money.

As for that other stuff they are asking, it's a crapshoot. Either they impersonate you or hack your accounts, or you actually receive tokens that could worth something.
Activity: 266
Merit: 101
The revolutionary AI gaming ecosystem
December 05, 2017, 03:40:54 PM

These two points are a bit obvious but it's always good to make a small reminder, mostly for newcomers.

In fact with airdrops, I'm always a bit afraid to come on an infected website. This is the only point where we can be weak if we don't follow some good rules, like having a system updated.

Airdrop is the current trend, as it was with ICO, so there is some scam, as always.

You can add on the list :
- Be careful when they ask too much personal data, like address, phone number, etc.

Thanks OP for that I would never give my private key or donate but I have been on the end of phishing for sure because I get unsolicited emails sometimes. That builds into the second point if they ask for personal data aside from your email give out information that isn't about you. Ask yourself why would somebody who is giving you an airdrop need to know your real name and address? Quite simply they don't and they are going to resell that information. Bottom line is protect yourself and all will be good.
Activity: 112
Merit: 11
December 05, 2017, 03:31:34 PM
Never took part in airdrops. I dont really trust any of these.
Why do you think so? Airdrops are the opportunity to earn some cryptocurrencies for free, aren`t they?
Activity: 854
Merit: 1002
December 05, 2017, 03:20:50 PM

These two points are a bit obvious but it's always good to make a small reminder, mostly for newcomers.

In fact with airdrops, I'm always a bit afraid to come on an infected website. This is the only point where we can be weak if we don't follow some good rules, like having a system updated.

Airdrop is the current trend, as it was with ICO, so there is some scam, as always.

You can add on the list :
- Be careful when they ask too much personal data, like address, phone number, etc.
legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1002
December 05, 2017, 03:14:44 PM

yeah, when an airdrop wants a private key, it's no longer weird anymore. but it is certainly a scam. I'm still confused to people who want to give their private key to others they do not even know.
Activity: 448
Merit: 10
December 05, 2017, 03:13:09 PM
Firstly I did not believe in Airdrops, Bounties are best because In this game there are only 30% real airdrops and rest are fake. But Bounties are 100% real. Otherwise I have a solution for this: The best way to find out a scam airdrop is when they ask for private key and when they ask for TXN ID for donation. Donations are now becoming common part of forums which does not mean its scam, you can also leave it. Otherwise, there is a no way to find out scam airdrops.
Merit: 110
December 05, 2017, 03:04:50 PM
I used to participate in airdrops and get my signals to sign up for an airdrop on a WhatsApp group but as of recent I see signals of close to twenty new airdrops daily. This for me is a very big turn off and a sign that scammers have already taken over. People really need to be careful the way they give out their personal info just some free airdrop.
Activity: 260
Merit: 250
snack of all trades
December 05, 2017, 02:55:01 PM
lol. airdrop era. As I see in token board - 5/10 new topic is airdrop. They even dont have a website or logo. So I think if we dont see they have team member we shouldn't waster our time
Activity: 532
Merit: 10
December 05, 2017, 02:52:18 PM
How can airdrops scam if they gave out free ? I never asked for my private key.
December 05, 2017, 02:51:11 PM
They are asking for private keys and some people give their private keys? Interesting. These are very clear already. Walllets may steal your keys also.
Activity: 546
Stake's discord https://discord.gg/cZhK9vp
December 05, 2017, 02:46:16 PM
They ask you to create a password
Type you e-mail

Most people use the same password multible places.

Then they can login to your e-mail, bitcointalk profile etc.

Yes, I think these are more likely to work than straight up asking for the keys as suggested by the first post. Due to laziness, careless or convenience a lot of people might use the same logins and fall victim due to that.
Activity: 2282
Merit: 668
Community management 24/7 for hire
December 05, 2017, 02:37:52 PM
They ask you to create a password
Type you e-mail

Most people use the same password multible places.

Then they can login to your e-mail, bitcointalk profile etc.
Pages:
Jump to: