Pages:
Author

Topic: the fate of bitcoins (all will be lost - literally and eventually) - page 2. (Read 1868 times)

Activity: 119
Merit: 100
Or (i hope) there IS some way to recover these lost coins.  If so I would love to find out how
So will a lot of people.

Let's look at it the other way around, shall we? What kind of security will BTC have if it's possible? I can go to blockexplorer, get the addresses listed on each block and try to hash out the keys; transfer those BTC for myself. It's like saying, I'm going to go to the bank where I don't have an account and take any amount of money I want.
Activity: 377
Merit: 253
There is not.
Only way is to recover data out of your disc so you could keep it for future when it will be worth.
Activity: 44
Merit: 0
Hello all, this is my first post....

so, the other day I had just transfered some bitcoins to my local wallet from bitfloor... and, as (bad) luck would have it, my harddrive went extremely south shortly after... i.s. no backup, and all my attempts to recover my lost wallet failed. 

I asked around and was told there really is no way to recover a lost wallet if I had no backup.

These bitcoins are appearantly lost, forever... encrypted bit floating around homeless in the bitcoin ocean. Sad

If I loose $100 dollars (actual paper money) someone, somewhere, someday is going to find it and spend it.  The money stays in circulation.  If I loose a bitcoin, it is gone forever.  It seems to me that, eventually, little by little, as people loose their bitcoins for one reason or another, and there is not chance to recover them, then the number of bitoins actually in circulation forever dwindles.  A healthy electrical stroem and/or solar flare and half the bitcoins in existance will disappear.

Or (i hope) there IS some way to recover these lost coins.  If so I would love to find out how

Pages:
Jump to: