Pages:
Author

Topic: The Human In-Group Is Expanding - page 2. (Read 2150 times)

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1115
January 09, 2016, 02:25:44 AM
The sun has 6 billion years before it runs out of fuel and eats the solar system; but if humans as species are to survive into the deep-future geoengineering will be necessary long before that.

Look to it.
legendary
January 03, 2016, 10:08:32 PM
Hi Chubby!!!!!!!

Virtual Reality, The Empathy Machine
I am standing on a street in Syria when the bomb goes off. My ears ring so loud I can hardly hear the screams as I stumble through the smoke. Looking down, there’s a man cradling a crimson-soaked loved one on the curb. Others run for cover. I pull off my virtual reality headset.

“We’re starting to move out of the technical ‘wow’ phase of this and into ‘what does this mean for humanity?’”

Further readings:
Generating empathy through virtual reality

Virtual Reality, Empathy and the Next Journalism
legendary
Activity: 1526
Merit: 1013
Make Bitcoin glow with ENIAC
January 02, 2016, 08:30:28 PM
BAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!

Hi, BMB!!!

"Since the narrower or wider community of the peoples of the earth has developed so far that a violation of rights in one place is felt throughout the world, the idea of a law of world citizenship is no high-flown or exaggerated notion. It is a supplement to the unwritten code of the civil and international law, indispensable for the maintenance of the public human rights and hence also of perpetual peace. One cannot flatter oneself into believing one can approach this peace except under the condition outlined here." - Immanuel Kant, 1795

BAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!!!!!
legendary
January 02, 2016, 07:47:47 PM
I'd argue the oldest forms of government were probably strongmen and overbearing tribal leaders. If you stretch out the time frame, the expansion of our in-group is even more apparent.

You're right that the tendency is positive. Don't mean to be a downer. But that doesn't mean we will always be able to overcome all obstacles. And move to an utopian society. We may reach a dead end instead. Where we just don't have the capacity or ability to live in a better world. Where for example if you replace the people now in power with someone else that was oppressed, that person will then oppress others the same way. We are biological creatures. And limited after all. But it's also true that the institutions we create have influence that each person doesn't have. And it has been moving us in a positive direction. Though slowly.

Most of this is beyond the scope of OP, but: No doubt there are inherent limits to biological brains. And there are no guarantees. Keep your chin up, slog on, be kind to people. Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1001
January 02, 2016, 03:23:29 PM
I'd argue the oldest forms of government were probably strongmen and overbearing tribal leaders. If you stretch out the time frame, the expansion of our in-group is even more apparent.

You're right that the tendency is positive. Don't mean to be a downer. But that doesn't mean we will always be able to overcome all obstacles. And move to an utopian society. We may reach a dead end instead. Where we just don't have the capacity or ability to live in a better world. Where for example if you replace the people now in power with someone else that was oppressed, that person will then oppress others the same way. We are biological creatures. And limited after all. But it's also true that the institutions we create have influence that each person doesn't have. And it has been moving us in a positive direction. Though slowly.
legendary
January 02, 2016, 09:43:24 AM
legendary
Activity: 1135
Merit: 1001
January 02, 2016, 12:38:10 AM
^ mostly agree with that. It's harder now to demonize the others in foreign countries with the information the internet gives us. When we can talk to someone on the other side of the planet within minutes. And get their point of view on almost any topic. Or when we can see the effects of war over there. And the part we play in it. And it's true that there is more cooperation between nations. Civilization is advancing. But other things are getting worse. Incredible inequality. 20 americans now have the same wealth as the bottom 170 million for example. The blaming and shaming of the poor for their situation. The rise of populists and far right parties. Etc. Maybe it is that the improvements on one side are also revealing the other problems. Or maybe making them worse.
legendary
January 01, 2016, 09:52:23 PM
Our conceptual in-group is becoming larger to include more and more humans. National bounderies have never been more porous, rates of international adoption and humanitarian aid are high; the social and cognitive benefits of intermingling are undeniable. The Information Age has laid bare the internal inconsistencies of our natural tribalism. One day a lack of empathy for any human will be an aberration, a social problem treated with virtual reality. And Soma. Smiley

Peace.On.Earth. Purity.Of.Essence.
Pages:
Jump to: