Pages:
Author

Topic: The kind of hard disk to keep your bitcoin blockchain data on Laptop - page 2. (Read 292 times)

Activity: 868
Merit: 737
I just explored hard disk several days ago because I want to focus to download blockchain data to run the bitcoin core wallet or maybe
next to run a full node.

In general, there are 5 type of hard disk which is widely used

1. Default Hard disk 2.5 SATA

read and write between 50 - 120 MB/s

2. SSD 2.5 SATA

read and write between 200 - 550 MB/s

3. Msata SSD

4. Msata M.2 SSD

5. NVME M.2 SSD

that 2 pictures Msata m.2 above and NVME M.2 SSD, as you can see the different

read and write NVME M.2 SSD is between can be 3000 - 7000 MB/s

that powerful, so what do you have to focus?,
you have to focus on the shape of the slot on the laptop because each hard disk has the different slot. Old laptop gen 4 under doesn't have a slot for
Msata M.2 SSD and  NVME M.2 SSD
I have ThinkPad i5 t420 that just have a slot for Msata SSD which was upgraded to 1 TB for bitcoin blockchain data yesterday,

so if you have an old laptop and want to use NVME M.2 SSD, you can use it as an external by changing the target when run bitcoin core.
just buy an additional case like below that you will able to run full node external with can read 5 GB/s data like the external hard disk. but it's still much cost.

but, i heard research by Alvin Cox, JEDEC, that SSD drive is not safer to keep your data and will be lost in a couple of months if not turned on because SSD frive have limited life where different like HDD in general. so dwyor
Pages:
Jump to: