Pages:
Author

Topic: The market was waiting for a jump so it could rally... - page 2. (Read 2617 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250
We'll probably pop up to 700-800 pretty soon, but after that I imagine we'll have a month or two of people cashing out once they've broken even before it does anything interesting.

Yes, that's a possibility; unless those people have already panick-cashed out on the way down...If that's the case, it won't be two months.
legendary
Activity: 889
Merit: 1013
Didn't surprise me that much, the dropping volume, slowing down-trend and huge spread all pointed to a reversal. You're completely right, though, there was a "trend trumps fundamentals" sentiment before. I find it amazing that everyone's expecting the next factor of 10 leg up straight away, though. We'll probably pop up to 700-800 pretty soon, but after that I imagine we'll have a month or two of people cashing out once they've broken even before it does anything interesting.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
nice insight. thanks
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1000
HODL OR DIE
There has been tons of good news actually, it was just being capped by the China BS.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Merit: 1076
This recent price spike surprised me, but in hindsight it should not have.

The weeks preceding the price spike were among the most bullish I had ever seen. Speculators across this subforum were predicting breakouts, giving a variety of dubious but thought-out reasons. They were wrong time and time again, but the sentiment remained.

It is reasonable to suggest that this sentiment held out across the Bitcoin trading community—it was time for a rally, but when? Markets behave in irrational ways, and are extremely difficult to predict. But sentiment is a strong indicator. So when sentiment was so strong, why was the price still dropping like a stone?

My hypothesis is that markets will eagerly follow the sentiment if the trend agrees, but if the trend does not agree, markets will reluctantly side with the trend. It took a random one-day fluctuation to convince Bitcoiners the price was going back up, and then the rest is history.

Hindsight is always 20/20 of course, and I don't claim to be able to predict the future. Maybe this rally will fizzle out in time. But I think this hypothesis makes sense, seems to fit well with Bitcoin's history, and may come useful again sometime later.
Pages:
Jump to: