Pages:
Author

Topic: The mining cartel play games with the network right now - page 2. (Read 1034 times)

Activity: 697
Merit: 520
Actually, I'm quite surprised by this stuff:
Altcash is at block 481850 , while BTC is at 481656 so it seems like they really do have the longer pen blockchain.

So their previous adjustment going down while they were bringing in lots and lots of new hashrate and the period end helped them quite a bit.
I can hear the altcash shills preparing to brag about it.

I've already seen some of the Bitcoin Cash shills saying it's the longest chain. It's pretty deceptive to say that; it's pretty well understood by now that what matters is the chain with the most cumulative work. Otherwise, a fork could lower difficulty and just publish lots of easy-to-solve blocks. That's what happened here with Bitcoin Cash. It's also not "valid" since it broke consensus rules, so it's not the longest valid chain by any stretch of the imagination.

Unfortunately, newer and less technical users may not understand the nuances.
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Blackjack.fun
So they ware going to mine Altcash at a loss while miners mining BTC will get even more profit?

Sorry but this tactic is so wrong for an unlimited number of reasons.
Not saying they are not doing it , as there is indeed a hashdrop happening right now but really, what's the point?
Economically it will be a disaster for the mentioned actors so really... why doing it?
To show that by coin is longer than yours?

for sure this is the reason  Grin

Actually, I'm quite surprised by this stuff:
Altcash is at block 481850 , while BTC is at 481656 so it seems like they really do have the longer pen blockchain.

So their previous adjustment going down while they were bringing in lots and lots of new hashrate and the period end helped them quite a bit.
I can hear the altcash shills preparing to brag about it.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142
Ιntergalactic Conciliator
So they ware going to mine Altcash at a loss while miners mining BTC will get even more profit?

Not saying they are not doing it , as there is indeed a hashdrop happening right now but really, what's the point?
Economically it will be a disaster for the mentioned actors so really... why doing it?
To show that by coin is longer than yours?

for sure this is the reason  Grin
legendary
Activity: 2828
Merit: 6108
Blackjack.fun

To show that my coin is longer than yours?

Activity: 462
Merit: 263
The devil is in the detail.
Is obvious that Jihan's mining cartel play games with bitcoin hashrate right now. They have switch all together to bcash network and they continue to mining there even after diff adjustment. For hours now they continue to mine with a loss.

That's what happened right at fork time, too. Bitmain/ViaBTC mined at a loss to allow the possibility of long term viability for Bitcoin Cash. During that time, they absorbed supply on the exchanges while difficulty adjusted downwards. Now that BCH is in a much stronger position, they can double down and mine at a loss if need be.

They want to sent another politcal message that Bcash has more hashpower than bitcoin. They want also to raise uncofirmed transactions and especially fees.
Imo the long term interest of this cartel is to destroy bitcoin.

They are definitely sending a message -- that BCH may have majority hash power in the future and that there is market demand. Thus, they want people to believe it can become the "real" Bitcoin. From that perspective, they don't want to destroy Bitcoin; they want to co-opt it.

Its more likely bitmain is playing both sides to great profit.

Jihan is on record saying he wants greater fees, he has achieved that and a lower difficulty on Bitcoin.

Jihan is so far getting everything he wants and some people are too stupid to see it.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003
It is interesting how so many miners departed to mine Bitcoin Cash, yet the price of Bitcoin is stable at $4,000. Makes you think that soon enough there will be another rise up to over $5,000. It only makes sense when you think about it from a miner's perspective. They are saying Bitcoin is now 2.5x more profitable to mine than BCH... means they are coming back to mine BTC soon.
legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 3008
Welt Am Draht
NEWSFLASH: Bitcoin works because everyone acts in their own best interests.

it's baffling how many people don't understand this most basic concept.

Erm, Bitcoin's operation slowed and the cost to transact went through the roof today precisely because the interests of one cabal diverged from everyone else. Said cabal also has the most money and mining power and wants something that no one else does. The 'greed is good' thing has brought BTC to this level of centralisation and now it's possibly going to wreak havoc.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

I don't think that is correct.

Bitcoin works because everyone is following the same rules.
If divergent interests that violate Bitcoin's rules (outside consensus) develops,
I would not consider that as "Bitcoin working". That is a failure to constrain.

Thus, BCH's best interests are about unknown circumstances that mandated
that they violate the rules that we all agreed to participate. So, their best
interests were to "leave Bitcoin", so it could be argued they are compromised
and no longer a simple profit seeking entity. It should be assumed there is
malicious intent, whether it is real or not, due to the irregularity.

If you are saying that "Bitcoin works" because they had no choice but to
"leave Bitcoin", you may be correct, but I did not interpret your meaning
to be that. They are no longer bound by profit, but by "unknown motives",
which is a bad thing for this network type. Miners were designed to always
perform at a loss. If they are now intentionally taking on additional losses,
there is something occurring that is not simple long term economics, but
something having to do with their government and regulation, IMO.

Edit: typos and etc
Activity: 697
Merit: 520
Is obvious that Jihan's mining cartel play games with bitcoin hashrate right now. They have switch all together to bcash network and they continue to mining there even after diff adjustment. For hours now they continue to mine with a loss.

That's what happened right at fork time, too. Bitmain/ViaBTC mined at a loss to allow the possibility of long term viability for Bitcoin Cash. During that time, they absorbed supply on the exchanges while difficulty adjusted downwards. Now that BCH is in a much stronger position, they can double down and mine at a loss if need be.

They want to sent another politcal message that Bcash has more hashpower than bitcoin. They want also to raise uncofirmed transactions and especially fees.

They are definitely sending a message -- that BCH may have majority hash power in the future and that there is market demand. Thus, they want people to believe it can become the "real" Bitcoin. From that perspective, they don't want to destroy Bitcoin; they want to co-opt it.
Activity: 644
Merit: 259
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
They are currently demanding very high transaction fees right now especially with blockchain.info I don't know what's wrong with their network one can pay about $3 for each transaction.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1087

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001
It sad to say this but it seems Satoshi was very idealistic to believe miners will never act against their own profit ...

A common misconception is that Satoshi's theory of "honest nodes" remains
applicable and consistent in all possible situations. The reality is that it only
applied to the very specific situation outlined in the Whitepaper. We are well
beyond those things now. The 1MB Cap was Satoshi's acceptance that he did
not solve the "Proof of Node" (1CPU=1Vote) puzzle. PoW+Blockchain was not
the final answer.

"Miners always seeking profit that is not against their interests" is always
based upon the specific circumstance that they are in (whether known or
unknown to others) and at what stage of Bitcoin evolution the community
is in, at the time (whether ignorant or well educated). The system can be
destroyed due to human ignorance, it does not need to be a willful attack.
The assumption is that miners are not dumb greed, but just greedy. But it is
not greed alone as some like to think, but needs an "educated greed". If the
miner's become "dumb", ego driven, or attackers, they will ignore this game
theory aspect because their specific individual circumstance has changed. If
the "honest node" theory was correct, this aspect of miners "NOT SEEKING
profit outside their interests and the networks interests" would not exist.
BCH (SHA256) is a form of proof, that the miners have proven Satoshi's original
whitepaper theory partly wrong. So, when they proclaim they are following the
"original vision", they are actually disproving Satoshi ironically, and will cause
the ecosystem to go into a state of failure, which should harm them the most.

The reality is that Satoshi wasn't really idealistic, he was just fallible and while
solving larger issues, he overlooked minor ones that have larger consequences
over time. He was obsessed with solving one question, which obviously created
new ones that weren't asked yet.

The truth is that "honest nodes" can never exist in human systems, because
the problem is not the technology or the system/network itself, but the human's
inability to not seriously maim or destroy something that is functioning adequately.
With humans there is a constant push to do more, or find more, or acquire more,
or expand more, and that aspect is what Satoshi failed to capture and contain with
PoW+Blockchain+Token. There is still something missing IMO.
legendary
Activity: 1652
Merit: 1205
I hope that just dump all bcc and forget about it will work, that's what I'm doing.

If lucky, after november nobody will still talk about bcc.
Activity: 462
Merit: 263
The devil is in the detail.
Bitmain is showing its true colors.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1142
Ιntergalactic Conciliator
The reason is obvious imo.
It sad to say this but it seems Satoshi was very idealistic to believe miners will never act against their own profit or he have not preditct that ascis will create such centralisation.
I dont know what will be the solution but imo this situation is very danger for the future of bitcoin. Maybe everyone in bitcoin community must start to think and prepare a pow change from now.
Pages:
Jump to: