Pages:
Author

Topic: The "mining cost price floor": Myth or reality? - page 2. (Read 317 times)

Activity: 364
Merit: 13
Killing Lightning Network with a 51% Ignore attack
Miners may turn off their electricity to save fiat, however rental costs for the warehouse and any loans to cover the original purchase are still an ongoing expense.
What will happen is the smaller players will fall out of mining and the larger players with the bigger pockets further centralize their control of btc.

In Truth, their is no price floor as holders of btc may just need to cash out to fiat.
If the miners had unlimited fiat to purchase the excess bitcoins, they would not need to turn off their ASICS to save money to start with.  Tongue

If the price drop is very severe and too long even the big players will fall , and then the bitcoin network hash drops so low that the network dies in a death spiral.
https://cointelegraph.com/news/how-close-did-bitcoin-get-to-disastrous-chain-death-spiral
“Transactions get backlogged to a point where the coin becomes basically useless,”

That is the danger when the inputs costs to maintain a PoW network exceed the purchase price per coin for any extended period of time.

legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 6249
Decentralization Maximalist
In several forum posts I've heard that the mining costs, which are (depending on technology, region, etc.) between $5000 and $6000 per BTC, constitute a "floor" for the Bitcoin price.

But I haven't read a convincing theory behind that claim.

One variant which is often mentioned:
When the Bitcoin price drops below the mining costs, many miners would power off their hardware. This would lead to a smaller supply of "mined coins" at the markets.

Even if that occurs (I guess the effect would be rather small) this "smaller supply" is only temporary: it's only smaller until the next difficulty adjustment. So if the hashrate drop was 50% (which would be extreme), that would mean a month of "smaller supply", at most. Would this really influence the price? Additionally, mined coins are only a small fraction of the coins available at the markets.

Variant 2 I read recently:
Some miners are mining BTC to sell them for a more expensive price. If Bitcoin dips below the "production cost", then these miners could buy Bitcoin instead of mining it, and speculate to sell them for a higher price later.

But a miner would only buy if he/she thinks that Bitcoin is undervalued. But in a bear market this is risky. So I don't expect many miners following that pattern.

So these two explanations do not convince me, at all. But the theory is so often mentioned that something may be behind it.

So if you know a better explanation of the "mining cost as price floor" theory, please post it!
Pages:
Jump to: