Pages:
Author

Topic: The most convincing information about Bitcoin to bring in friends - page 2. (Read 3608 times)

Activity: 34
Merit: 0
Bitcoins are basically digital cash.  This means several things: 1) you can buy things online without giving out tons of personal information, credit card numbers or access to bank accounts to third parties whose security may or may not be reliable, 2) you can accept them as a small business without paying exorbitant credit card fees, Paypal fees, or other third party charges, 3) they are an international currency, so perfect for the internet. As a real economy grows up around them they will be easy to trade with anyone online, allowing you to avoid unfavorable exchange rates or other inconveniences with exchanging currencies.  

Basically I assume that most people who are skeptical about Bitcoins are more interested in answers to the question "why is there a need?" than "what are they?"  A lot of Bitcoin descriptions are too tech heavy.  For Bitcoin PR to really take off, we need to spend more time talking about how they can benefit the average consumer or small business.  
Activity: 139
Merit: 100
What's Your Gig?

What do you say to (try to) convince them that it's not just some short term waste of time/money?

This is the million dollar question. I have found people don't care about the idea of digital money. It's not sexy.

BTC is a great thing, but there is no specific use (outside of trading) that appeals to regular people. I know you can buy cool stuff, but you can also buy stuff with cash.

The best way to convince someone to use BTC is not to even mention it. Mention the product or service that needs BTC to work.

Example:
"Hey, have you seen service "X"? You should check it out"

*X needs BTC to function.

Activity: 836
Merit: 1007
"How do you eat an elephant? One bit at a time..."
Wait until you hear them complain about some aspect of the banking system, PayPal, transaction fees, government, etc., and then say "check out bitcoin, it solves a lot of those problems." Then send them to http://www.BitcoinTraining.com for more info.
Activity: 772
Merit: 501
What's the most convincing information you have that doesn't sound as though it's just been pulled out of your ass?

It's the world's first digital cash, which allows people to send million of dollars worth of bitcoin to the other side of the planet instantaneously without having to open a bank account. This creates huge opportunities that will lead to greater adoption of it.

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
100%
Try giving them Bitcoins for free :)
Activity: 123
Merit: 100
So you've talked to your friends and mentioned Bitcoin a couple of times, but for the most part they're just confused and in the 'It's a scam'/'You're on another of your money making schemes that never work again' frame of mind...

What do you say to (try to) convince them that it's not just some short term waste of time/money?

I'm always looking out for this kind of thing, which is why i got into it, but my friends aren't the type that would look at bitcoin at first glance and think 'This has real potential', they're more of the 'This is fail...'.

What's the most convincing information you have that doesn't sound as though it's just been pulled out of your ass?
Pages:
Jump to: