Pages:
Author

Topic: The most dangerous creature of our planet - page 6. (Read 6098 times)

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
August 10, 2014, 06:01:32 AM
problebably something scary looking
Activity: 178
Merit: 100
August 10, 2014, 05:55:39 AM
Insects are a class of invertebrates within the arthropod phylum that have a chitinous exoskeleton, a three-part body (head, thorax and abdomen), three pairs of jointed legs, compound eyes and one pair of antennae. They are among the most diverse groups of animals on the planet...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Insect

Insects are animals belonging to Kingdom Animalia.

Activity: 138
August 10, 2014, 05:29:42 AM
Deadliest animal, probably this:

Don't blame the mosquito, he just wanted some blood.

Well if we're talking about blood sucking parasites, then politicians are the worst creature to inhabit Earth.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
August 10, 2014, 05:23:32 AM
Humans as they are the only creature capable of destroying the planet.

I don't think we can destroy the planet.  We can terraform it, but not destroy it.

Yes we perfectly can. All we have to do is launch all of the nukes we have at all of the nuclear plants we have.
Done, earth destroyed easily. It's not destroyed, but nearly all life will be wiped out. Done.
Or we could create a microscopic black hole to swallow the earth. That works too. Or launch tonnes of antimatter at earth, but we haven't reached that point yet.

Uh, isn't that what I said?  We can't destroy it, but we can terraform it.

No, wrong.

Terraforming (literally, "Earth-shaping") of a planet, moon, or other body is the theoretical process of deliberately modifying its atmosphere, temperature, surface topography or ecology to be similar to the biosphere of Earth to make it habitable by Earth-like life.

The term "terraforming" is sometimes used more generally as a synonym for planetary engineering, although some consider this more general usage an error.

Wrong word there. What you want to say is Planetary Engineering, and not terraforming.

Planetary Engineering is not used by people in the field (certainly not here at JPL).  Carl mentioned it a few times after it was cited by Fred, but otherwise it is generally regarded as terraforming.  Earth was terraformed many times prior to life evolving and nuclear fallout onto the landmasses would terraform it again - just would take a few million years for the bacteria to clear the decay.

Please don't cite Wikipedia.  Those entries are not correct.  Anybody here at JPL would argue the same point.

OK, can you provide a quote where someone says that it is actually correct then? You claim to be from JPL, I claim I am Obama. As you wish.

A mosquito is an insect, not an animal. Malaria isn't a living organism at all, it's a sickness caused by a unicellular microorganism named Plasmodium Sporozoite.
Activity: 178
August 10, 2014, 05:12:58 AM

August 10, 2014, 04:45:17 AM

I don't think we can destroy the planet.  We can terraform it, but not destroy it.

Yes we perfectly can. All we have to do is launch all of the nukes we have at all of the nuclear plants we have.
Done, earth destroyed easily. It's not destroyed, but nearly all life will be wiped out. Done.
Or we could create a microscopic black hole to swallow the earth. That works too. Or launch tonnes of antimatter at earth, but we haven't reached that point yet.

No, wrong.

Terraforming (literally, "Earth-shaping") of a planet, moon, or other body is the theoretical process of deliberately modifying its atmosphere, temperature, surface topography or ecology to be similar to the biosphere of Earth to make it habitable by Earth-like life.

The term "terraforming" is sometimes used more generally as a synonym for planetary engineering, although some consider this more general usage an error.

Wrong word there. What you want to say is Planetary Engineering, and not terraforming.

Planetary Engineering is not used by people in the field (certainly not here at JPL).  Carl mentioned it a few times after it was cited by Fred, but otherwise it is generally regarded as terraforming.  Earth was terraformed many times prior to life evolving and nuclear fallout onto the landmasses would terraform it again - just would take a few million years for the bacteria to clear the decay.

Please don't cite Wikipedia.  Those entries are not correct.  Anybody here at JPL would argue the same point.
Activity: 41
Merit: 0
August 10, 2014, 04:33:59 AM
White shark
August 10, 2014, 04:30:39 AM

No, wrong.

August 10, 2014, 04:26:13 AM

August 10, 2014, 04:10:15 AM

August 10, 2014, 03:43:03 AM

legendary
Activity: 1036
August 10, 2014, 03:34:16 AM
Humans are the most dangerous on our planet.We can destroy the planet easy with few nuclear bombs and everything is gone then.  Undecided
Activity: 3
Merit: 0
August 10, 2014, 03:12:13 AM
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
August 10, 2014, 02:52:49 AM
superbugs
August 10, 2014, 02:48:03 AM
Virus and bacteria. See the Ebola stuff, for example, and the Spanish flu. I think the more deadly are human made biological weapons .

With animals at least you have a chance to run or fight back, but nowhere to hide from microscopic beings.

Fungus can also be dangerous.

You know, we humans created these monsters by developing drugs to kill them, making them resistant to current drugs.
legendary
Activity: 2660
Merit: 1074
August 10, 2014, 02:46:04 AM
Virus and bacteria. See the Ebola stuff, for example, and the Spanish flu. I think the more deadly are human made biological weapons .

With animals at least you have a chance to run or fight back, but nowhere to hide from microscopic beings.

Fungus can also be dangerous.
August 10, 2014, 02:45:01 AM
Humans by far. We have created many very dangerous weapons that have the ability to wipe out life as we know it on earth.

We have created many dangerous weapons that have the ability to destroy the earth, not just the life on earth. We could also potentially wreck other planets, but it's completely unnecessary for all these nuclear weapons to exist. Once accidental malfunction, and we're all dead. Pointless.
We really should go back to beating people with sticks and clubs, they don't destroy or harm other animals.
Activity: 236
August 10, 2014, 02:31:19 AM
Human with guns...
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
August 10, 2014, 01:35:38 AM
Depends, you're going to have to be more specific than that.

By sheer statistics, it's of course humans. If we're looking at animals, then it is probably some kind of an insect like a mosquito because they spread disease and kill a lot of people that way. If we're only looking at large animals, then probably something like a shark. Really depends on what you mean.

We are animals! Sharks are hardly dangerous (we all have to eat)... most people who are attacked by sharks survive; we're too boney for their taste. Free Willy is a hell of lot more dangerous than Jaws. And don't think for one minute that Flipper is a saint!

But yes, no doubt we are.
Activity: 72
Merit: 10
August 10, 2014, 01:20:57 AM
Humans by far. We have created many very dangerous weapons that have the ability to wipe out life as we know it on earth.
Pages:
Jump to: