Pages:
Author

Topic: The Myth of Money as the Mere Concept of an IOU - page 4. (Read 5132 times)

Activity: 242
Merit: 250
IOU is a trick to mislead people, after several times of IOU, people don't know the original ownership, what should belongs to them now belongs to banks  Cheesy

Unfortunately, the trick is not the IOU itself. It is not even its mistaking for money. The trick is using this confusion between debt and money to control other people.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1012
Beyond Imagination
IOU is a trick to mislead people, after several times of IOU, people don't know the original ownership, what should belongs to them now belongs to banks  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1000
Not only does everyone learn this at school Undecided, they also intuitively understand it and conduct their lives accordingly. Never questioning and assuming just the opposite that IOU's are in fact representative of a commodity and and/or time value, forgetting the IOU's loosely regresses back, are in fact a promissory note for an IOU of a common commodity utilised as a medium of exchange.  

If you think that is crazy you should try fractional reserve banking with wheat.
Activity: 242
Merit: 250
A representation of debt is an object representing "I owe (money to) you": an IOU.

Money can itself be an IOU. For example, when a commercial bank loans money deposited with it, this bank does not withdraw that money from the borrowed account. So the loaned money must belong to both its borrower and its loaner. Then:

1. To the borrower, an IOU becomes the loaner's money.

2. To the loaner, the borrower's money becomes an IOU.

This way, whether loaner and borrower are aware of that or not, their money has become an IOU. Thus, if I am the borrower and you are the loaner, this IOU is an object representing "I owe you" that money. So even as an IOU, our money remains what IOU.

Then, "I owe you" an... IOU: as long as we mistake debt for money, I owe you... the circumstance that I owe you... the circumstance that I owe you...
Pages:
Jump to: