Pages:
Author

Topic: The official Armory-for-OSX Bounty Thread [CLAIMED -- 25 BTC] - page 6. (Read 10391 times)

legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
I really like the bounty idea. Any chance of you doing that for the rest of Armory development? I mean, I'd really like to see a Bitcoin Armory rpm for fedora users. Slap up a bounty and I'll donate to it, eventually there's bound to be enough fedora users that would like to have that. It was a real workaround for me to figure out how to get Bitcoin Armory to work for me on Fedora.
There's not even a current Bitcoin-Qt rpm for Fedora, is there?
Activity: 614
Merit: 500
I'll donate if you'll just put the instructions I offered on the install page under the ubuntu instructions.

Can you link me?

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1463846
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1093
Core Armory Developer
I'll donate if you'll just put the instructions I offered on the install page under the ubuntu instructions.

Can you link me?
I really like the bounty idea. Any chance of you doing that for the rest of Armory development? I mean, I'd really like to see a Bitcoin Armory rpm for fedora users. Slap up a bounty and I'll donate to it, eventually there's bound to be enough fedora users that would like to have that. It was a real workaround for me to figure out how to get Bitcoin Armory to work for me on Fedora.

I'll offer a bounty to fix the makefile.  Seriously, all I need is the simplest of checks in the make file, and Armory compiles super-cleanly on all these *nix distributions.  Once the makefile goes looking for the .so instead of .a, having any versions of the dependencies should be sufficient. 

But yes, there will probably be more bounties in the future, to help with related things.  As long as they are well-contained, easily-verifiable problems, I am for bounties...

legendary
Core Armory Developer

I'll offer a bounty to fix the makefile.  Seriously, all I need is the simplest of checks in the make file, and Armory compiles super-cleanly on all these *nix distributions.  Once the makefile goes looking for the .so instead of .a, having any versions of the dependencies should be sufficient. 

But yes, there will probably be more bounties in the future, to help with related things.  As long as they are well-contained, easily-verifiable problems, I am for bounties...
Activity: 50
Merit: 0
Anyone have comments about the idea of bulk including a python installation, PyQt4, etc?

The python interpreter itself isn't really big when compiled into an executable. I used the freeze tool earlier (http://wiki.python.org/moin/Freeze) and it's pretty straightforward, and the result is truly stand-alone, and very convenient to deploy.

I spent the last hour or so trying to get PyQt and friends compiled/installed in a virtualenv, and this seems to be a nightmare. After this I am convinced that any user-friendly distributions should include it as compiled into the frozen bytecode.
Activity: 547
Decor in numeris
I am looking into this too.  Yes, you want a .app.  I am trying to build it with py2app, but the problem right now is that it corrupts the PyQt dynamic libraries.  I am trying to manually copy the libraries into the .app and then fix the linked-in paths so it will run as a standalone app on another machine.  With a bit of luck, I expect to have a solution in an hour or so.  But I need that bit of luck, I cannot claim that I know what I do. Smiley
legendary
Core Armory Developer
Why is it not on Github?

I'm not sure what you mean.  All the code is on github.  But we can't have regular users installing Xcode, Python, Qt4, etc, and compiling from source.  Unfortunately, to make a standalone installer, all that needs to be included somehow.  

Actually, I just got a PM from someone who claims to have done something like this already!  He's stuck in the Newbies forum, but will post here soon.  He said was able to jam everything into a .app and it works.  But it's 232 MB.  I suspect that most of it can be pruned out.  For reference, the Windows installer (*.msi) has everything and is less than 20 MB.

Question:  is *.app what I want?  Is that a sign-able container?  Is it easily converted to a .dmg? Or pkg?  What do I want?  (I don't even know, myself)

EDIT: upon reviewing what he said, I suspect that 180 MB is instantly removable:  the entire cppForSwig directory and the .git directory.  If so, this may already be in a usable state.   Anyone have comments about the idea of bulk including a python installation, PyQt4, etc?  It would require me updating them when necessary, but on the other hand, it reduces the number of libraries that are system-dependent (and thus, probably also increases security a bit).
Activity: 14
Why is it not on Github?
Activity: 22
OSX developer here, currently checking whats involved to get a working solution.

Are you looking for a self installing package(requires root/admin password to install)? or a bundle(dependencies are bundled)?, either?
legendary
Core Armory Developer
If you publish this donation address somewhere on your web site we could use the blockchain.info tag feature to mark it.

I just added it to the webpage under the OSX section:

http://bitcoinarmory.com/get-armory/
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009
If you publish this donation address somewhere on your web site we could use the blockchain.info tag feature to mark it.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
Haha, whoops.  I should've created a new wallet for this.  All the donations are showing up in my donation wallet along with my other donations.   They are, of course, intended for the bounty, but I just want to mention that I may accidentally "spend it".  I will try to remember to use coin control to avoid doing so, but if I forget, the coins may end up moving...

For that reason, I will be going by total BTC received by that address, not how much is still in it when the bounty is to be paid.  Just wanted to clarify that.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
http://blockchain.info/tx/4df1917b67b0c92f13fb727201b121058dad91fac7cffb7b1bd656bacbd0778f

Just threw in my donation, just cause this is over due for such an amazing piece of software!
Activity: 35
Donated! I'd love to see this happen.
legendary
Core Armory Developer
Wow, excellent!  Already at about $1,000 USD.  Given the nature of this task, and the amount collected so far, I bet this will be a very effective bounty campaign!

Activity: 476
Merit: 250
1.75 btc donated. Will donate more on completion or good enough, whatever comes first. Smiley

Thanks for getting around to this, etotheipi.
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021
Democracy is the original 51% attack
SatoshiDice just donated 10 btc. Big fan of Armory Smiley
legendary
Core Armory Developer
First order of business:  I strongly believe that Red Emerald should receive 5-10% of this bounty regardless of any further contributions by him.  Without his help, there might not have been any OSX support for Armory, at all.  And I'm sure his brew installation will be extremelyt useful in figuring out what dependencies are needed, etc.

Discuss! (and donate!)
Pages:
Jump to: