Pages:
Author

Topic: The original Bitcoin client sucks. - page 3. (Read 5672 times)

Activity: 107
Merit: 10
August 19, 2012, 08:20:45 AM
I'm pretty sure bitcoin is losing HUGE amounts of users just because bitcoin-qt appears so prominently on google and bitcoin.org. Most normal people usually don't bother 'looking for alternative clients.'

When they try bitcoin-qt and realize it takes many hours (or days!) to initialize, and consumes many gigabytes of bandwidth per month, they just don't bother looking further. Kinda sad.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1066
August 19, 2012, 07:22:50 AM
The satoshi client is THE reference client - without it there is no bitcoin network.

You can imagine that the devs have to be conservative with any changes they make and make sure everything is tested as best as possible. This inevitably takes much longer to make changes.

By keeping the bitcoin network stable and working smoothly they ARE indirectly helping to create lightweight clients and web wallets etc. Everyone else relies on them. With the limited manpower all open source projects have I presume they concentrate their firepower on "keeping the engine running smoothly" and leave the eye candy to other devs.
Activity: 812
Merit: 1006
August 19, 2012, 06:22:13 AM
I agree. The block chain download is making newbie users hate bitcoin. However there are better alternatives in the pipeline: http://electrum-desktop.com/

And web wallets work pretty well for small amounts IMHO...
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
August 19, 2012, 05:39:16 AM
It takes forever to get started and I bet most people who are new to Bitcoin pick it up, get tired of it and move on.

Why hasn't the development team created a thin client yet?
Without the original client we would all be fucked. It is the only fully validating bitcoin node in existence.
Servers and miners can run it. Regular, dumb people like me don't care and don't want to bother with it.

If you want Bitcoin to continue to be a small, geek currency, then please keep forcing this slow, CPU-intensive software down our throats.

As for your lite clients, people who type "Bitcoin" in google never learn about them. It took me forever to find http://blockchain.info/wallet because it doesn't get the privilege of being called "official".
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
August 19, 2012, 05:37:28 AM
I have the odd impression you need to buy something really fast... ? Then don't use the desktop wallet if you're in a hurry!
Jan
legendary
Activity: 1043
Merit: 1002
August 19, 2012, 05:37:06 AM
It takes forever to get started and I bet most people who are new to Bitcoin pick it up, get tired of it and move on.

Without the original client we would all be fucked. It is the only fully validating bitcoin node in existence. There are many alternative light clients. Take a look at http://lovebitcoins.org/getStarted.html
Activity: 14
Merit: 0
August 19, 2012, 05:28:28 AM

Pages:
Jump to: